User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
street triple or 919?

I live in this sticks and do not have the luxury of test riding. Which bike offers the more exciting on the bike experience, the 2007 Honda 919, or the 2008 street triple? Yes, I will be buying something slightly used. As well, are these bikes equally suited for the odd week long 4000 mile trip?

Thanks.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,653
I've not ridden a street3 but I have a daytona

And I own a 919.

Here's my take, if you want the rush of liter bike, the 919 is the way to go

If you want the reviness of small bike but with more torque then say a 600
The street3.

I spent a week and half of 200-400 mile days on my 919 with bags and fly screen and was so comfortable I retired my DL650 to go live on a farm and get used only once a year or so.

As a visceral package the street triple is probable a better bike
As an all around long term functional easy to deal with bike
The 919 wins (plus I got mine fully loaded)

If it matter to you some think the triumph name is "cooler"
but I'd rather ride a Honda.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
Huh.. never ridden the 919.. It's a Honda... However, I've had the privilege of riding the Street TRIPLE for 3 days through Blue Ridge Parkway... I can't tell you more good stuff about this bike. The engine is the most perfect engine ever.. very small, good torque, potent delivery!! 4 thumbs up!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
SPEED TRIPLE!!!!

I hear street triples eat oil... just what I heard anyways.
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 707
Street Triple. But then, I AM biased.

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 11:31 PM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
desmoface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I love the Triumphs, the speed trip's 1050 motor is fantastic. That said, my 98 T595 daytona, while beautiful, was a complete turd. Never ran right, wiring harness melted..sold it after that..

I'm sure the newer triumphs are much better, and they are sweet machines...But, I follow them pretty closely on the various triumph forums, and they aren't Honda reliable. The Triumphs still have their problems...But then again, is anything as reliable as a honda?

I recommend researching the net, parusing the various triumph boards..then make your own decision. I personally would have more fun on the Trumpet...but I don't feel like dealing with the reliability issues should they arise.

Steve
05 st300
00 sv6fity
desmoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
I did a 9k mile trip on a 919 - RR link in my sig if you want to read about how I got on with it. I've not ridden a street triple yet. I think the others are correct though - really sorta apples and oranges with the compact supersport class trumpet and the older liter class honda. One will be lighter and more revvy, the other heavier and more grunty. Note that as far as liter class bikes go the 919 is quite slow - its "tuned for torque". It goes just fine, but the top end rush isn't even close to the same as you'd get on say a gsxr1000. My guess is that peak power is probably pretty close to the street triple. It does have a nice wide power curve and that detuned CBR900 motor should last until the next ice age as it definitely is very under-stressed. As far as I4s go its got a nice visceral sense that more modern I4s don't have - its got a slightly cammy feeling lope at idle and a slightly raw feeling off idle that reminds you that there's a real motorcycle engine beneath you. In keeping with the 90s theme the gearbox makes a pretty loud clunk when you put it in gear from neutral (but shifts perfectly fine), you've got to manually move the "choke" (really a fast idle) lever when starting from cold. Overall it has a bit of a long, low, heavy feel to it but not in a bad way at all. It really works very well in a wide range of conditions. I'd expect that the triumph would eat it up on a track, but on the daily commute the fat torque curve and comfort of the 919 would be quite appealing.

Have you considered the speed triple? That'd be more directly comparable to the 919 I'd think. Also you might as well toss a Tuono, Monster, SV and Streetfighter into the mix.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
theblk1
Dirt, pavement, whatever.

Oddometer: 52
I've had the pleasure of riding both and I'll give you the straight goods. There is a little bit of an apples to oranges debate but if you start looking at the speed triple (or other larger nakeds) vs 919, its like comparing a stallion to a sea-horse (literally, it would lose that terribly).

If I were in your position I would choose the street triple every time. This bike is not a revvy 600 supersport wannabe, it's torque and power curves are excellent. The other thing not mentioned in other posts is that it's suspension, especially for the road, is very, very good. There's a reason these are selling like hotcakes, they're flexible, have great ergos and are an absolute riot to ride.

The 919 is very basic, the suspension is vanilla and the detuned engine uninspiring. Ergonomics are quite good, and the seat may be comfier for longer rides (over 3 hours of motorway) than the street triple.

Overall, the triumph provides a more exciting, involved ride so if that's what you're into you won't regret it.
theblk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Spuds
On my way home

Oddometer: 509
I'm suprised you have'nt pulled the triger and got the 919 yet as you have been wanting one for quite awhile http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526354

Honda is making deep cuts off MSRP on the 07's that are still sitting in crates around the U.S.. I am guessing you can buy a new 919 for the price you will pay for a used Street Triple.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Hughmoris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
For what its worth, I was checking out the 919 when I was bike shopping. As previously mentioned, the bike seemed pretty 'vanilla', nothing really stuck out about it. I personally would go for the speed triple.
Hughmoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
speedisgood OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
street triple vs. 919

I've had the pleasure of riding both and I'll give you the straight goods. There is a little bit of an apples to oranges debate but if you start looking at the speed triple (or other larger nakeds) vs 919, its like comparing a stallion to a sea-horse (literally, it would lose that terribly).

If I were in your position I would choose the street triple every time. This bike is not a revvy 600 supersport wannabe, it's torque and power curves are excellent. The other thing not mentioned in other posts is that it's suspension, especially for the road, is very, very good. There's a reason these are selling like hotcakes, they're flexible, have great ergos and are an absolute riot to ride.

The 919 is very basic, the suspension is vanilla and the detuned engine uninspiring. Ergonomics are quite good, and the seat may be comfier for longer rides (over 3 hours of motorway) than the street triple.

Overall, the triumph provides a more exciting, involved ride so if that's what you're into you won't regret it.

This is exactly what I want to know.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 199
Another vote for the Street Triple. I have ridden both a 919 and a Street Triple R and for two bikes that on paper are quite similar - approx 100hp naked roadsters - the riding experience is like chalk & cheese.

The 919 is a joyless slug with the cheapest cycleparts Honda could fit, including the crudest fuel injection I have ever come across, a very detuned cbr1000 engine and a nasty chassis taken from a domestic market 250.

The Street Triple trades a touch of top end from the Daytona for some midrange shove but Triumph has kept all the sparkle intact. Words cannot express how utterly brilliant the 675 triple is. The chassis is the same as the Daytona and in the R spec that I rode the cycleparts are at the same level too. If you weigh the same as a normal human... around 80 to 90 kg then I understand the base model Street triple will need some suspension work ( as will a 919) but thats the only down side. Triumphs reliability with the 675 series seems PDG as well... ignore the above post about fried looms, that was a bike a decade old that shares no common parts...... relevance zero.

DFH
Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I've read comments from 919 riders that the undertail exhaust stinks up their jackets. I didn't see that in this thread though.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
zrtruebot
--------------------

Oddometer: 33
From a technicians perspective I would take the honda. I do have experience with both of these brands. Never seen a 919 in the shop for more than a oil change or valve inspection. I've seen plenty of charging system issues on the 675's. Bad regulator/rectifiers. If you're lucky the problem will occur within the 2 year warranty. Mileage doesn't appear to be much of a factor. 10k, 3k, I've even replace one on a brand new unit with less than 10 miles on the bike. Fun bikes though.
If you go with the 675 street triple, make sure you have a dealer near you. With the Honda, there are usually no shortage of dealers available should there be any problems.
zrtruebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I'd go with the street triple....Just go and look at the street triple closely and then look at the Honda and the difference is astounding...The Honda looks like it has a good build quality but very generic, bland, and industrial...The Street Triple has a very nice build quality and has a level of intricate detailing that just has to be seen up close and in person to really appreciate...The frame is gorgeous and looks like it was vacuum fitted around the engine...It doesn't look like a mass produced vehicle, but almost like triumph built one really cool concept bike but then you look around the dealership and there's several of them...My wife and I went into a Triumph dealership the other day and she thought the bikes were just gorgeous, even the bonnevilles impressed her quite a bit....
sands is offline   Reply With Quote