Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
flooding rains have fallen here in the past few days, although they're easing so I might get out this weekend, meanwhile... attacked my paddock stand, once fitting the ex-Hypermotard, now adapted for the 690 with a little lathe work for the axle shaft.. fits like a charm..just need some orange paint to make it look the part

Nicely saved a few hundred$.

Rains expected to ease tomorrow, Happy Weekend, riding is so much more fun than housework
Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #47
jacko63
n00b

Oddometer: 8
another new 2012 690 Duke

Hyperpete
Glad you're enjoying your bike.I picked mine up on Thursday after selling my 690e.I've only got 260 miles done but am loving it.The fuelling is much better on this and those michelins are fantastic after trail tyres! So far I fitted the handlebar trip switch which is cheap and handy.I also changed the handlebars for off a Triumph street triple.I find them much better as they a fair bit narrower ,a fraction lower and have a little more sweep(pullback).
As you say the lightness and agility are fantastic.Even running is no real chore with the 6k rev limit
Cheers
jacko63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #48
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Well I missed out on my 1st service, put it off till next Saturday, was pissing down rain here yesterday, big contrast today, crystal clear skies and sunny, albeit only 9c max, after some chores I geared up for a squirt, only 100km but oh so nice
Bit cool, didn't see many bikes out. Find it very smooth after 5000 revs, i'm loving it more each ride
Here's todays cafe pix,I had some other riders stop, look and take pix of it as well, poser
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #49
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
New to me.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #50
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Some take off SM plastic from the Flea Market and a Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag. As soon as I can wear out the tires, the rims will get powder coated 1/2 KTM Orange and 1/2 White.

I love these rims!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #51
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Nice Duke 125!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #52
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

OK, it's been another two weeks...how is the range / mpg on the new 2012 bikes? They are not announced here yet, but that doesn't stop me from being curious.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #53
jacko63
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
OK, it's been another two weeks...how is the range / mpg on the new 2012 bikes? They are not announced here yet, but that doesn't stop me from being curious.
Well I'm loving mine.I',m getting around 65-69mpg(uk Gallon) so the range is fine.Up to 1500 miles now and engine is definitely getting smoother.Most so far wa a 300 mile day(no motorway)and no major aches although I have the power parts comfort seat from day one.
Akro can fitted with the baffle out and its only slightly louder than stock but a nicer deep tone and better looking.If you're looking for loud you'll need to get rid of the collector box as thats where most of the silencer is.
Best mod so far are the street triple handlebars which improve the riding position no end.
I'm just really enjoying the lack of weight,it makes the bike feel alive without feeling flighty
How's everone else getting on?
Cheers
Paul

ps.I'd post some pictures but am struggling with that!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! That's the second mention of STR bars. I've been on the STR and the first thing I'd change is the bars! I'd go narrower still, with a bit more down angle if not pull-back. Trouble is, I can't find anything close. Now that I've read more about the Duke, I believe that the STR is more engine than I want or need; hence my interest here. Convertibars are always an option, but they'd be out of step with the overall Duke style.

Keep comments coming. There are several of us (at least) in the US who want KTM to bring the 690 Duke back here!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #55
jacko63
n00b

Well I'm still enjoying the bike but a word of warning to those perusing the KTM parts and accessories brochure!
I did and as its getting colder here I thought I would order the genuine heated grips and accessory socket.
These are shown and listed in the 2012 Duke section.
However the grips will not fir without some mods to the throttle twist grip and are also longer than stock grips.
Ktm uk are now saying the brochure is wrong and you cant fit them!
The accessorie socket comes with instructions for an SMT990!
Having taken the headlight off this is also the first Ktm I've had that does not appear to have the two pairs of empty connectors for connecting said parts.
Hopefully someone has more info(or better brains/eyesight) than me and has done this already
Cheers
Paul
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #56
Graytwilight
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I agree, this new 690 is great. I've done a bit over 4000km, did have a new wiring harness fitted under warranty at 2000km. I've fitted the 990 sm touring screen and getting a custom rack made, great to wheelie, holds its line awesome even at 160 plus. Rear shock is rubbish I weigh 70 kg and I've added 2 clicks on the pre load but on rough (ok really crap roads) its that bad I have to slow down or rupture a vertebrae (roads I fang at 130 on my dr650 motard I'm down to 90 and crying...) smooth roads no problems. I do find pushing on in the mountains she gets pretty loose with the rear swapping all over the place and the engine map occasionally making the engine run on for a second just as I'm entering a corner. Not a complaint more an observation, I've stopped riding the mid range and now use more top end, keep it singing at 6 k plus and hang on.
If your thinking of buying one do it, power, weight and fuel consumption is incredible.
Roll on power from 120 to 170 in top gear is amazing, not far off my old zx9 ...
See here for a pic of the old girl with sm990 screen
http://db.tt/lIAZjCZG

Just about to fit exhaust and tune ecu and maybe some fork and rear shock mods.
Graytwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #57
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko63 View Post
Well I'm still enjoying the bike but a word of warning to those perusing the KTM parts and accessories brochure!
I did and as its getting colder here I thought I would order the genuine heated grips and accessory socket.
These are shown and listed in the 2012 Duke section.
However the grips will not fir without some mods to the throttle twist grip and are also longer than stock grips.
Ktm uk are now saying the brochure is wrong and you cant fit them!
The accessorie socket comes with instructions for an SMT990!
Having taken the headlight off this is also the first Ktm I've had that does not appear to have the two pairs of empty connectors for connecting said parts.
Hopefully someone has more info(or better brains/eyesight) than me and has done this already
Cheers
Paul
I got the genuine heated grips fitted from new, they're very good, quite available and no different in size to standard I noticed. They're hotter than the BMW ones I had on a GS1200 I once had, but no cold hands during minus degrees riding!!

As for mpg,I haven't worked that out but have gotten 200km before the fuel light came on,I ride around the 5-7 rev range and with only 3500km its loosening up nicely! I just did a 650km ride for the weekend, seat very nice, so far I haven't seen the need to use my airhawk seat pad! Very happy :)
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #58
jacko63
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
I got the genuine heated grips fitted from new, they're very good, quite available and no different in size to standard I noticed. They're hotter than the BMW ones I had on a GS1200 I once had, but no cold hands during minus degrees riding!!

As for mpg,I haven't worked that out but have gotten 200km before the fuel light came on,I ride around the 5-7 rev range and with only 3500km its loosening up nicely! I just did a 650km ride for the weekend, seat very nice, so far I haven't seen the need to use my airhawk seat pad! Very happy :)
Thats weird on the grips.Mine are defo not gonna fir without grinding of all the ridges on the the throttle tube(which line up with indentations on the throttle rubber grip.Dont suppose you've got a ktm part number for yours?
Do you know where they connected the wires up as I couldn't find the acc1 and 2 loose connectors behind the headlight where they usually are on a Ktm.
With you on the seat so far and my air hawk has stayed on the shelf!
Glad you're having fun and I guess your weathers on the up too
Cheers
Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #59
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko63 View Post
Thats weird on the grips...
Glad you're having fun and I guess your weathers on the up too
Cheers
No idea on the fitting of the grips sorry, I'll look thru my receipts they may have a part number in there?
Yeah our spring time has started and we're looking like getting into a drought season, no good for farming but brilliant for riding!!
Now I have a silly question... Why did they name it a 'Duke'??
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
jacko63
n00b

Thanks HyperPete
panic over as I've found the connectors tucked up behind the loom under the speedo.
Think I'll get the dremel out to take the ridges of the throttle tube and should be job done
"Duke"dont know the reason but those Austrians do have Dukes.Seem to remember one getting shot in 1914 and starting a bit of a ruck
Cheers