Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #61
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Yeah Ferdinand I think it was..that was the end of that era!
Glad you found the connectors, you'll find the grips efficient!!
Here's a pix of mine, just had 4 days riding around the north East countryside, the duke just loves it around here!!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #62
maramind
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graytwilight View Post
I agree, this new 690 is great. I've done a bit over 4000km, did have a new wiring harness fitted under warranty at 2000km. I've fitted the 990 sm touring screen and getting a custom rack made, great to wheelie, holds its line awesome even at 160 plus. Rear shock is rubbish I weigh 70 kg and I've added 2 clicks on the pre load but on rough (ok really crap roads) its that bad I have to slow down or rupture a vertebrae (roads I fang at 130 on my dr650 motard I'm down to 90 and crying...) smooth roads no problems. I do find pushing on in the mountains she gets pretty loose with the rear swapping all over the place and the engine map occasionally making the engine run on for a second just as I'm entering a corner. Not a complaint more an observation, I've stopped riding the mid range and now use more top end, keep it singing at 6 k plus and hang on.
If your thinking of buying one do it, power, weight and fuel consumption is incredible.
Roll on power from 120 to 170 in top gear is amazing, not far off my old zx9 ...
See here for a pic of the old girl with sm990 screen
http://db.tt/lIAZjCZG

Just about to fit exhaust and tune ecu and maybe some fork and rear shock mods.
I see that this thread has gone dormant.

Interesting screen adaptation - how much protection does it give? What determined the placement in the vertical plane? I've been considering a Puig screen

- does anyone have experience with this item? Any chance of posting a side-on photo of your bike?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #63
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
No experience w/it but I love the look of it, as I do a lot of riding over 50 mph. That'd be nice for year-round, all-round riding.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #64
Screamingv8
Duked...

Oddometer: 2
Hi Guys,
I have been watching the forums for a while and have finally decided to post. I have had a 2013 duke for about 3 weeks now and I have to say that I am very impressed with it. I have clocked up approx. 700kms so far and it hasn't missed a beat. I optioned it with the crash bars, Akra exhaust, K&N airfilter, handle bar switch, front and rear axle crash pads, and alarm system. I have also put a Radgaurd radiatior gaurd on.The first 2 fills I have got 5L/100km and even after pushing it hard the last fill averaged 4.8L/100km. So the fuel usage is dropping. I'm hoping that it decreases after it's first service at 1000km. The exhaust, while being a little bit on the expensive side, makes the duke sound awesome, with a deep rumble at idle. I can't wait until after her first service, to be able to take her to redline and see what she can really do. The only real issue I have found so far is not being able to see much in the mirrors at highway speeds. The fun factor of this bike out weights this minor issue. As I said before I am really enjoying the bike and I am looking forward to many more km's in the saddle. I will keep you all posted on how this bike performs. BTW has anyone had any success finding adjustable/folding levers, I bought some EVO 1 Racing ones, but they didn't fit my bike. The 2012 levers may be different to the 2013's ?
Screamingv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #65
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingv8 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have been watching the forums for a while and have finally decided to post. I have had a 2013 duke for about 3 weeks now and I have to say that I am very impressed with it. I have clocked up approx. 700kms so far and it hasn't missed a beat. I optioned it with the crash bars, Akra exhaust, K&N airfilter, handle bar switch, front and rear axle crash pads, and alarm system. I have also put a Radgaurd radiatior gaurd on.The first 2 fills I have got 5L/100km and even after pushing it hard the last fill averaged 4.8L/100km. So the fuel usage is dropping. I'm hoping that it decreases after it's first service at 1000km. The exhaust, while being a little bit on the expensive side, makes the duke sound awesome, with a deep rumble at idle. I can't wait until after her first service, to be able to take her to redline and see what she can really do. The only real issue I have found so far is not being able to see much in the mirrors at highway speeds. The fun factor of this bike out weights this minor issue. As I said before I am really enjoying the bike and I am looking forward to many more km's in the saddle. I will keep you all posted on how this bike performs. BTW has anyone had any success finding adjustable/folding levers, I bought some EVO 1 Racing ones, but they didn't fit my bike. The 2012 levers may be different to the 2013's ?
I suggest no one answers him until he posts a picture.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #66
Screamingv8
Duked...

Refer to profile pic.... When I get a better quality one I will post...
Screamingv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #67
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Well, i've since done around 6500kms, performance is brilliant, i've fitted akra slip-on,KTM luggage rack and the only faults have been fork seal failures, replaced one, next day the other one blew. Annoying, hopefully having both renewed they'll stay ok.
the sound with the DB killer removed is simply brilliant, with it in it's not much different to standard!
Been thinking about a screen but apart from the givi one I don't think the KTM one or the one shown earlier don't offer much protection and needs drilling to make them fit.
But, bike is a dream to ride!

:)

HyperPete screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 03:53 AM Reason: .
HyperPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #68
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingv8 View Post

Refer to profile pic....
That won't do!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #69
Pandora58
n00b

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maramind View Post
I see that this thread has gone dormant.

Interesting screen adaptation - how much protection does it give? What determined the placement in the vertical plane? I've been considering a Puig screen

- does anyone have experience with this item? Any chance of posting a side-on photo of your bike?
I have just had this screen fitted. When it stops snowing, raining or freezing I will go out on it and let you know if it makes a difference. I originally had the Powerparts screen fitted but wanted a bit more protection on the motorway at 70 + MPH.

The Duke is my first bike, and I am loving it.
Pandora58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #70
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
the only faults have been fork seal failures, replaced one, next day the other one blew.
Too many wheelies.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #71
Pandora58
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora58 View Post
I have just had this screen fitted. When it stops snowing, raining or freezing I will go out on it and let you know if it makes a difference. I originally had the Powerparts screen fitted but wanted a bit more protection on the motorway at 70 + MPH.

The Duke is my first bike, and I am loving it.
I have now done about 150 miles with this screen, it is really good. It does not turn the Duke into a tourer but it adds 10 to 15 mph before hanging on becomes hard. It looks good, is easy to fit, or so my husband tells me. Well worth the cost, much better than the KTM screen.
Pandora58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 AM   #72
Soulbreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I just wanted to let the OP know that this was one of the most entertaining reviews I've ever read. :)
Soulbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #73
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 458
Local dealer just got in a new 690 and sent me a message to come check it out. Looks like I might get a chance to take one for a spin so I can compare it to my Street Triple R. Can't wait.

Shep
Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #74
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
Local dealer just got in a new 690 and sent me a message to come check it out. Looks like I might get a chance to take one for a spin so I can compare it to my Street Triple R. Can't wait.

Shep
Shep, yes, Please post your thoughts. I was looking at a Street Triple used bike as a replacement for my '10 Duke, but it looked a little rough. May consider new, as a replacement, or just keep the 690 if the ST3 isn't that much better. tp
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #75
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Shep, yes, Please post your thoughts. I was looking at a Street Triple used bike as a replacement for my '10 Duke, but it looked a little rough. May consider new, as a replacement, or just keep the 690 if the ST3 isn't that much better. tp
As long as the rain holds off, I'm getting a demo ride on the new bike today. I have a great dealer who offered to put it into service so I could ride it. I told him not to do it on my account because I don't know my interest level at this point. He wrote back, "It has to be done. It's been staring at me all day!"

Used Street Triples are holding their value pretty well. Another Triumph dealer told me he sells every used on he gets quickly and above retail.

Back to the Duke-I can't help but think the fun factor on this bike is off the charts. Guess I will find out.

Shep