User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
RottenScummyTroll OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 228
Whoops.

Well, they say it's not if, it's when...guess that was true for me.

I was headed out on a 3-week trip to the east coast today, just heading up the mountains out of the Bighorn Basin. The bike was running great, railing through the corners and loving life.

Apparently I was having a little too much fun, cause I overcooked a left-hand decreasing-radius corner...I knew I was coming in a little hot, but at that point I was in the corner and committed. I stayed on the throttle (gently), figuring that at that point I was better off staying on it and doing my best to ride it out.

This worked great, until my back tire caught some sand and slid out...I tried to ride through it like I would on a dirtbike, which worked too - until I ran out of sand. As soon as the back tire caught pavement again, it hooked right up and I proceeded to highside over the right.

Fortunately, I didn't impact any immobile objects, aside from the road, and my Darien suit performed as advertised. I hit the road on my left side, shoulder and helmet taking the brunt of it. The shoulder pad absorbed the impact nicely.

I'm actually surprised how good the jacket looks, it's perfectly serviceable. My helmet of course will have to be replaced, it took a nice smack on the chin bar.

The bike isn't in such great shape. Windshield, handlebars, turn signals, front cowling, headlight, front fender, and gauge panel are all rashed to some degree. The jury is out on the forks - insurance is coming to look at it Monday, so I haven't disassembled anything, but the seals are leaking and I 'think' they're bent...if so, that's a lot of $$.

We'll see how things shake out on that. Meanwhile, I'm just glad it wasn't worse - I haven't a scratch myself, and maybe it'll teach my ass to slow down a bit in the bendy bits.

The lessons for me:

Slow down, dumbass.

Make sure you look THROUGH the corner. I don't think I was, enough at least.

Always wear the gear. Saved me some pain, and in the case of the helmet made it so I still have a face.

Take it easy out there, folks. And don't think it won't happen to you.

...anyone need V-Strom parts?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Very glad to see that you survived with no injuries. There is nothing wrong with learning from your mistakes, provided you live long enough . With a bit of luck they will wright it off and you can get a new model.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,160
If you're communicating this well after a high-side, you did all right, I'd say!
Crashed my 'Stich years ago. Still wear it, just with a swatch of Shoo Goo.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Looking back, do you think it would have helped to roll off the throttle and clutch into the friction zone, thus reducing the chance of the rear hooking up again?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
RottenScummyTroll OP
Traveler

I think it probably would've done it anyway. Once it came out of the sand, it was simply too far sideways to NOT highside. Maybe if I'd gotten it spinning really fast? But still probably not.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Out of curiosity. What helmet were you wearing?
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Shoulda just "layed er down!".
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
GusinCA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Sounds like you did everything right. But yeah, it's one of those things, slowing down means maybe you could've corrected the line midway to avoid the sand? I've been riding so long that I am always calculating what's the worst that can happen in a curve; Sand? Stopped car? A log? A car coming into my lane? I guess that last one is luck, probably nothing you can do about it, but everything else can (almost) be overcome or at least mitigated by leaving 40% or more in reserve for making the turn tighter, looser with brakes, etc.
New bike time... :)
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
RottenScummyTroll OP
Traveler

Well, everything except going too goddamn fast entering the corner in the first place... Once I made THAT mistake, there wasn't a lot I can think of that I could do to correct it.

Helmet: nearly new Shark RSF3. I really liked that helmet, too.

On one hand, it's a bummer to toast a new lid so quick - but on the other hand, given the choice I'd rather have that protecting my head than my 5-year-old Z1R.

Ordered a new helmet today, BikeBandit has Shark RSI (step up from the RSF3) for $107 in red. Only XL, but that happens to be my size. Win!

On the bike front - I've made a deal on The_Jerk's Tiger 1050 ABS. Fly and ride to NYC next week!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
RottenScummyTroll OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Shoulda just "layed er down!".
Oh, you know it - hindsight is 20/20. If I'd just come from the bar like a proper biker, I might've been quick enough to do just that.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
MitchNJ
Lets Ride!

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
On the bike front - I've made a deal on The_Jerk's Tiger 1050 ABS. Fly and ride to NYC next week!

Sweeeet bike! The Tiger 1050 will probably be a nice upgrade, especially the one your getting! Enjoy the ride back.
MitchNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
RottenScummyTroll OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchNJ View Post
Sweeeet bike! The Tiger 1050 will probably be a nice upgrade, especially the one your getting! Enjoy the ride back.
Thanks! I'm super pumped. Nothing like a few weeks cruising around New England on a new ride, followed by a cross-country jaunt.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,954
Another reason to like full face helmets!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote