Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #91
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Here's table from an article for HOMICIDES only. Not TOTAL mortality risk by occupation. These are small numbers, so even though police may be at the top, it may not be statistical different than taxi driver. So you cannot show a police officer>taxi driver from this table.

Homicide while at work: persons, industries, and occupations at high risk.
J F Kraus
Am J Public Health. 1987 October; 77(10): 1285–1289.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #92
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

another good one

Am J Public Health. 2004 Oct;94(10):1756-61.
Fatal occupational injury rates in southern and non-southern States, by race and Hispanic ethnicity.

Richardson DB, Loomis D, Bena J, Bailer AJ.
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, CB No. 8050, Bank of America Plaza, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-8050, USA. david_richardson@unc.edu
Abstract

OBJECTIVES: We investigated fatal occupational injury rates in the United States by race and Hispanic ethnicity during the period 1990-1996. METHODS: Fatalities were identified by means of the national traumatic occupational fatalities surveillance system. Fatal occupational injury rates were calculated by race/ethnicity and region using US-census-based workforce estimates. RESULTS: Non-Hispanic Black men in the South had the highest fatal occupational injury rate (8.5 per 100000 worker-years), followed by Hispanic men in the South (7.9 per 100000 worker-years). Fatal injury rates for Hispanic men increased over the study period, exceeding rates for non-Hispanic Black men in the latter years of observation. CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest a change in the demographics of fatal occupational injuries in the United States. Hispanic men in the South appear to be emerging as the group with the nation's highest unintentional fatal occupational injury rate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15451746

EDIT: Notice that "public safety and justice" (i.e., police) aren't that high up the rankings. Occupations other than police face a larger relative risk. (But no confidence intervals are give in this table, so once again the differences may not be statistically significant.)

hobbes23 screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 05:38 PM
hobbes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #93
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver
According to FBI statistics approximately 150 cops are killed each year in the U.S. How many convenience store clerks are?

I hate it when people make statements with no basis. And a jury of one's peers SHOULD mean that a cop would be judged by cops. Unless you have worn a gun to work and sworn an oath to protect you have no basis of knowledge to judge someone who has.
What a novel twist to the concept of a "jury of peers" so I suppose a black should only have black jurors or a biker should only have bikers, and of course a gang member should only have gang members as jurors? Its too bad the whiny, corrupt, stupid, and holier than thou cops are the only ones that we hear about. One more thing the idiot cop who shot the unarmed biker in the back took an oath to protect, so what happened did he have his fingers crossed? The cop was found guilty for a despicable crime, he is filth and deserves everything he gets, and those who ride will be safer with his kind behind bars.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #94
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I hate it when people make statements with no basis. And a jury of one's peers SHOULD mean that a cop would be judged by cops. Unless you have worn a gun to work and sworn an oath to protect you have no basis of knowledge to judge someone who has.
I agree so much. What would ever go wrong?

Oh wait, police are there for the good of the community and therefore are accountable to the COMMUNITY, not other cops.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #95
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
According to FBI statistics approximately 150 cops are killed each year in the U.S. How many convenience store clerks are?

This is exactly why cops need to be kept in check.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #96
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville
What a novel twist to the concept of a "jury of peers" so I suppose a black should only have black jurors...
Mm. Maybe. Seemed to work for Orenthal James.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #97
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man
Mm. Maybe. Seemed to work for Orenthal James.
If the goal is to acquit a guilty party, then yes, I suppose cops should continue to be judged only by cops.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #98
JohnDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu
Very disturbing to watch. A cop that fearful for his life is dangerous to the general public.
JohnDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #99
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDavid

Such incite in your response. I think theres something in that for all of us...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #100
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
And a jury of one's peers SHOULD mean that a cop would be judged by cops. Unless you have worn a gun to work and sworn an oath to protect you have no basis of knowledge to judge someone who has.
This statement is disturbing on so many levels, but mainly because it exemplifies a belief that by taking that oath you are superior to everybody else and should be judged by a different standard.

I partly agree to the concept that you should be judged on a different standard, a higher one.

As a public servant you are accountable to the public, I know it is a strange concept for a lot of law enforcement officials but it is reality.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #101
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
its absolutely true, I had a dispatcher tall me over the phone "that the police department has the right to chose which laws they want to enforce and when" Funny they chose to enforce the law when I told them that "this was the last time I would call them and if the neighbor jumped my fence one more time to try and steal from my property Ill just call the coroner instead...oh wait I think I hear him, can you send a ambulance to my house please" 2 minutes later 5 cops show up.

So yeah they can pick and chose what laws to enforce, the funny thing is I was also told by police from the same city that "it was there job to defend the public and I have no right to attempt to protect myself, in the future if someone comes on my property it would be best if I left the property right away and called the police from a safe location, YOU! do not take the law into your own hands, thats our job"

sorry the whole, people dont have a right to defend themselves and they must wait for law enforcement to arrive, no matter how long it takes. Sort of hits a raw nerve.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #102
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength
its absolutely true, I had a dispatcher tall me over the phone "that the police department has the right to chose which laws they want to enforce and when" Funny they chose to enforce the law when I told them that "this was the last time I would call them and if the neighbor jumped my fence one more time to try and steal from my property Ill just call the coroner instead...oh wait I think I hear him, can you send a ambulance to my house please" 2 minutes later 5 cops show up.

So yeah they can pick and chose what laws to enforce, the funny thing is I was also told by police from the same city that "it was there job to defend the public and I have no right to attempt to protect myself, in the future if someone comes on my property it would be best if I left the property right away and called the police from a safe location, YOU! do not take the law into your own hands, thats our job"

sorry the whole, people dont have a right to defend themselves and they must wait for law enforcement to arrive, no matter how long it takes. Sort of hits a raw nerve.
Got to agree with all of that. I can't believe cops say publicly "When are people going to respect police?" Surely it's obvious why the public have growing disrespect for police. Or maybe the police really don't give a flying fuck and that statement is just a smoke screen. From what we are seeing in recent years it seems more and more cops are simply thugs on the other side of the uniform.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #103
hobbes23
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmontana
Name another job other than the military where you can be killed just because of the job you do. Look at the 4 officers in Lakewood, WA.
I am still waiting for his reply, after viewing the statistics in the above tables, or finding other sources to back up his view. I think I may be waiting a long time.

And please don't pull a "have intent to kill" versus an empirical risk argument. That wouldn't make too much sense.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #104
Geoff D
Tenerista

Oddometer: 707
As far as I'm concerned the bloke should be strung up..... what a dickhead

TENERE.CO.UK

GEOFF'S TÉNÉRÉ PROJECT here
Geoff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #105
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:

Just to set the record straight I have worn a badge and Gun. Have been LE on both local and federal levels. That is why my opinions on cops are so low I KNOW what they are! I do not trust them, nor do I depend on them. I've had more guns pulled on me as a truck driver than a cop. If you don't like how dangerous your job is QUIT! Otherwise put your big girl panties on and earn your money.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote