Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Thanks for following along. We are having a great time on the trip. Sometimes the WiFi is hard to come by, but we will keep updating as we can. (This is from my phone) Today was a good one Shafer Switchbacks, Potash Road and some of the White Rim Trail. We also had our first crash together. We've crashed plenty on our own! Don't worry no injuries.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #17
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
Great photos, I never tire of seeing pictures of Utah.

Hope your marriage works better than ours. Maybe it's because we started ours in Canada.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
Day 4 - Moab or BUST!

We lazily left Mexican Hat. After of course, breakfast at the San Juan Inn.

Out of town, we snapped a shot of its namesake. The Mexican Hat:

He insisted that we reiterate the climb we took the previous day up to Muley Point. Yep, up yonder is where we ended up, compared to the valley floor. Pretty incredible.

Bye bye Valley of the Gods. It really was that memorable.

Utah is pretty amazing. Great desert views, then WAM!, you're cruising through valleys and farmlands. Along the way we passed tons and tons of Cruise America RV's. They travel in herds. Modern day buffalo herds, migrating through Utah. They definitely aren't hurting for business. Anywho... It kept getting cooler and cooler. We stopped to put on our liners when it hit the mid 50's. That's chilly for us Arizona folk.

A small pass through Bluff, UT.

We're getting closer and closer to Moab!

We hit Moab and made our way to the B&B. Adobe Abode. Super cute place. Really unique, quiet and nice. Except for the fact that the wifi is down. Bummer. But I recommend the B&B if your ever in town. We were all about a slow paced, relaxed day, so we just moseyed around Moab and took a river boat ride at dusk. We needed to just chill out and enjoy each other off of the bike. The river boat tour was really nice.

The Colorado River.

I know, I know, they aren't motorcycle views, but it was still part of our adventure. I am in love with Moab. I want to stay and investigate everything it has to offer, but we only have two days here. We've decided that we are coming back, no doubt about it.

He teased you already, with the Canyon Lands stuff earlier. We had a blast today, and if the laundromat I'm sitting in stays open long enough, I'll try to catch you all up from today.

Thanks!!
jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
bike_pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Congrats to both of you!

And Happpy Honeymoon to! Spend lots of time together and forget about selfishness and you will be together forever!

Glad your getting to experience Moab! It is a gem!

"I suppose that's the great romantic lure of the motorcycle; it's a key to adventure" - Steve McQueen
bike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Day 5 - Canyonlands

Isn't it charming? Not the bike, the B&B.

After a quick breakfast and a refuel, we promptly headed towards today's destination...Canyonlands National Park. He's been looking forward to this ride since we planned the honeymoon.

We hopped on Potash Road. Passed the mine and ran out of pavement. Then we kept going. We passed a film shoot of a Thelma & Louise - Bing commercial. We ran into a German on a BMW 1200GS. We chatted for a moment, he oogled our KTM and actually said he wished he was on it over the Beemer. Then we pressed on.

Finally, we made it to the park.

We thought that the Mogi Dugway was cool yesterday. And then there was this..Shafer's Switchback. I'm really glad that he doesn't bother to tell me when he gets nervous. I was cool as a cucumber all the way up. Totally impressed with the cyclists who were peddling their way up. I'm not remotely afraid of heights and I trust him completely, so I just clung on and enjoyed the view.

Look ma, look what we just did!!

And the view from the top. I teetered on the edge to take this, glad he wasn't there to see.

After a short rest, he wanted to head towards more of the White Rim Trail. So we went down Mineral Bottom Road towards a smaller set of switchbacks.

Talk about Open Road...

Mineral Bottom. Wonder why its called that? Gee, looks like a bad penny.

I needed lunch and a break. We found a tiny bit of shade and sat for Lunchables.

We ended up following the river most of the way.

And then there was soft sand. I'm clinging on for dear life and I hear "We're going down!" through my headset.

And we did go down. Thankfully it was a nice soft landing.

I let him get the bike out of the deep stuff before I climbed back on.

We recovered only to need to dismount a short time later. I let him do this solo too.

I climbed up. It was a great view, but at this point, I reached my peak. Being 2 up on some of this stuff is brutal. Next time we do it, I'll rent a CRF. I would've enjoyed myself more if I was on my own bike.

And I'm pretty sure he would have been happier solo too.

So solo he was down the crappy part.

I was ready to find pavement again. Or at least something that wouldn't beat the crap out of me. He had other plans. Like Long Canyon. "Its an easy ride and it's a short cut back to Moab".

Apparently this is where they do movies and whatnot.

Isn't he cute?

Long Canyon was pretty and a nice short cut back.

I had made a comment earlier in the day that we barely had any pictures of the two of us together on our honeymoon.

We had a good day. Back on pavement, we noticed indian pictographs.

I was able to climb up to this one and get a decent shot.

We were hot, tired and hungry at this point and went straight back to Moab for dinner.

We went to Jay's Pasta for some much needed caloric intake.

We saw Ira and his pup headed down Main Street. I love this town.

All in all today was an experience. We had our first fall together. We dirtied ourselves proper and it was all worth it. A honeymoon to remember. Unfortunately, we leave Moab tomorrow and have to head back to Phoenix.

Reality sucks.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #21
Gtano
Overlaender

Oddometer: 244
Congratulations guys!

I will see you when you get back to the Valley of Hotter than Hell!

Tom
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Damn! Honeymoon on the White Rim Trail! That has got to be a first (on a motorcycle, at least). Most of us settle for wives that don't ride, and consider ourselves lucky when they let us out of the house for a little ride. Your man hit the jackpot! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedillusion
That says it all. Front page material I'd say.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Damn! Honeymoon on the White Rim Trail! That has got to be a first (on a motorcycle, at least). Most of us settle for wives that don't ride, and consider ourselves lucky when they let us out of the house for a little ride. Your man hit the jackpot! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dave, yes I consider myself very lucky to have found a woman who enjoys doing I a lot of the things I enjoy. Spending time with her is wonderful and I'm fortunate she shares this hobby with me. We have had a great time on this trip and we both really love Moab! We already want to come back and haven't left yet.

Next time she wants to ride her own bike on the trails. Being on the back really limits how much you can use your legs to absorb the bumps. I'm surprised and happy she held out as long as she did on the trails. We covered a lot of ground (Roughly 80 miles offroad) but there is so much more here.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #25
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Winding Down

True to our nature, we lazed around this morning. We typically don't check out of any hotel or B&B until the bitter end. I had to pry him from the comfy hammock chairs to pack up the KTM. Unfortunately real life is beckoning and we need to make our way back to Phoenix.

But before leaving Moab, we needed to pick up t-shirts and a Moab sticker for the KTM luggage. Plus, we couldn't possibly leave without seeing Arches National Park.

We were both pretty happy to stay on pavement today, and Arches was just the ticket. Quite beautiful for being a paved park.

I was quite impressed with Arches. A nice relaxing drive through some amazing scenery. Utah just keeps getting better.

I made an attempt to get a shot of the two of us, but its kinda dark. They call this rock formation, The Garden of Eden.

Hey its Arches NP, I suppose I should post an arch pic.

At one scenic overlook, we came across a couple 2 up on a 1200GS. They hailed from Colorado and did some of the same route we did. She asked if we got beat up by the winds coming up from Page, AZ. Glad we weren't the only ones who thought they were brutal. Their vacation was coming to an end and they were headed back to Colorado today.

The sky was quite blue today for all the winds that were coming in.

I was playing with reflections today.

We didn't stop much. A: we don't like crowds. Paved national parks are FULL of crowds. B: the winds kept getting stronger and stronger and C: we were famished. So we said goodbye to Arches and headed back into Moab for some chow.

The Moab Brewery proved yummy and relaxing.

I can't get over how amazing Moab is. Neither of us wanted to go. We contemplated having our pups shipped up to us, permanently calling in sick to work and living on the road. Life has other plans, and we had to go. Bye bye Moab. We'll be back, that's a promise.

The road south SUCKED. Not only did we have to leave Moab, but the sun was glaring, the temperatures picked up and the winds were kicking the shit out of us. I don't really know how all the bikers who passed us without helmets and gear do it. Safety aside, the protection from the wind and elements is worth the weight of the helmet, jacket and boots.

Right now, I'm sitting in our hotel room in Mexican Hat. We're stopping here for the night, going to grab some killer steak at the same steak house (Mexican Hat Steak House - Go there, Eat, Enjoy). Tomorrow, we'll make our way to Flagstaff and then unfortunately back to Phoenix by Sunday.

This has been a trip to remember, and its my honeymoon to boot. Doesn't get any better. We're both quite lucky, in that we like adventure and challenges. Life is too short not to play and play hard. I'm super fortunate to have found someone to play hard with.

This is just the first of many ride reports to come!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Okay... Hmm... what are the green things?

TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
jadedillusion OP
Adventure Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone
Okay... Hmm... what are the green things?

Haha. Spinach ravioli. Actually pretty yummy, even though they look like UFO babies.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Excellent pictures and congratulations!! Can't wait to see more!
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #29
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
Cool ride! Thanks for sharing!
airgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #30
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
yummy UFO babies

Nice report...... Love that part of the world.