ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Dead GXM-30 antenna's (Can you fix them?)

So whose all had a GXM30 antenna bite the dust? Anyone successfully fixed theirs?

My first GXM30 antenna crapped out over a year ago. Before it died completely, I had started to get random reboots here and there. I'd be listening to XM and it would suddenly go blank and then act like the antenna was just coming back on line. I finally starting getting the messages "XM antenna not responding". Usually unplugging and plugging back in would work, but eventually it finally quit. I've tested it with 3 different GPS (376C, 478, & 2820) and none of them recognize it, so its definitely the antenna.

I did take that antenna apart, but I didn't see anything that looked like it could be messed with. I thought about replacing the USB cable since that seems like it would be the most likely thing too get a short in it and start messing up since it gets plugged in and unplugged and the cord gets moved around a lot. I never did try it though.

Fast forward to this weekend and I'm using my wife's GXM30 antenna that has been permanently attached to my GPS since my last one broke.

That antenna has been working okay with an occasional reboot here and there, but nothing to alarm me. I haven't had the weather turned on for probably close to a year, but on the way home from Tulsa, OK to Atl, GA yesterday, I was dodging storms and really wanted the weather. I called and had it turned on and it was working fine. I got caught in a pretty hellacious rain shower that evening before calling it a night in AR. The next morning, the antenna started off working fine, but I noticed my music would cut out for a brief second here and there. I thought it was my earphones that might have developed a short, but then all of a sudden it started giving me the dreaded "not responding messages". : I could get it to work for 10-15mins at a time, but then it would quit again. I left it unplugged for about an hour and then plugged it back in and it worked the rest of the way home. (In the mean time, I did re-adjust the USB cable too). I might be able to contribute that one to the rain, but not sure?

I'm fearing this antenna might be on its way out also. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck replacing a USB cable on one? Seems like a cheap option to try?

Both antenna's are several years old, and get used almost on a daily basis, so I guess I can't be too upset about them failing.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 253
The only time I've had problems with mine is when water had worked its way down into where it plugs into the GPS mount. The first time it happened I just blew the water out and dried it out as best I could... now I keep dielectric grease around the plug to avoid moisture getting in there and haven't had a problem since.

I would give replacing the USB plug a try... I think the antennae itself is pretty much solid state and not much can "break." I consider the USB connector the weakest link.
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,234
The connection of the GX30 to the cradle for my Zumo 550 is a weak link. I had to put a piece of black electrical tape over it to "lock it down" better. No problems since. You may be able to try a similar fix on your mounts. YMMV
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
You cannot replace that USB cable.

My GXM-30 did the same thing. Called Garmin, sent it back, and, if I remember correctly, they sent me a new one.

I picked mine up second-hand from the Flea Market. They didn't seem to care where or when I bought it.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Devil
I would give replacing the USB plug a try... I think the antennae itself is pretty much solid state and not much can "break." I consider the USB connector the weakest link.
That's what I was thinking is that the USB is the weakest link of the setup.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
You cannot replace that USB cable.

My GXM-30 did the same thing. Called Garmin, sent it back, and, if I remember correctly, they sent me a new one.

I picked mine up second-hand from the Flea Market. They didn't seem to care where or when I bought it.
Why do you say that you cannot replace the USB cable?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Why do you say that you cannot replace the USB cable?
2 things, 1) it's my understanding that it's not your typical USB cable, 2) a Naval electrician friend of mine tried to shorten one and he basically said you'll never get it back together.

Why won't you give Garmin a call to see if they'll replace it?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
2 things, 1) it's my understanding that it's not your typical USB cable, 2) a Naval electrician friend of mine tried to shorten one and he basically said you'll never get it back together.

Why won't you give Garmin a call to see if they'll replace it?
I'm not opposed to giving Garmin a call and I probably will to see what they say. I really don't expect them to replace them at this age, but if they'll do the $75 flat repair fee, I'd do that in a heart beat.

Since the GXM-40 antenna's came out (I don't even know if they are backwards compatible or not), but the GXM-30's seem to be coming down in price on the used market too which is good.