User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
KTM 640 Adv windshield mod idea

From the thread below me, there is a F650 windshield that may look real good on a KTM 640 Adv. frick, i was gonna post a linked pic but cee baileys decided to chop up their pics... so i can't. Here is the link:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/650cscflws.html

I particularly thought that the grey would mesh nicely with the KTMs (especially the 03s). Those of you out there with a windscreen mod on your lil Katoom - what do you think of the shape of it?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
GoGriz
Gelandestrasse

Oddometer: 190
That screen does look very cool on that CS. I had a genunine F650 Dakar and the standard Dakar dark screen with the pronounced lip on the top really did a number on my head with the turbulence. Do the physics and you can imagine the rough air it generates. I did have good experience with the Wunderlich screen on my Dakar , but it didn't get the wind high enough for my buffetting problems. I think PASSMORE has a nice screen on his '02. Check it out on his Tahoe ride report. Maybe he can chime in on its effects at speed. My stock 640 screen is SO MUCH better than the Dakar I haven't played around with anything yet...but if we get something good...
Old 11-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
I like my mod ALOT!!! I am not the originator - I got the idea from other riders here on AdvRider (do not rember who) and they have done it a bit differently I believe. I decided I did not need to trim anything on mine (I believe some of the others have).

See if we can get Bojangles to chime in as we swapped bikes while I was down there. If I remember correctly, he said he could feel a noticeable difference from his (stock).

I am 5'10" with an average torso and it puts the air right up and over my head (for the most part) which is very nice in rain too.

I picked up a stock F650 windshield from A&S here in Sac to mount. Give me a bit and I will post pics for you.

M
Old 11-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Photos and Notes on install, etc.

Here it is... Someone please hide these from Creeper please!??!?! I have not washed my bike after returning from Tahoe yesterday - perish the thought it is not showroom clean right now, but in the interest of expedient photos... Forgive me Creep, for I have sinned - I have an FCR and my bike has remained in this sullied state for over 24 hours!

So here we go...

There really was nothing to install. I just placed it where it seemed hig enough, but not too high - as well as in a position that seemed to go with the lines and just plain fit...

Turbulence - I read about that too, so I used the rubber "spacers" from skateboard "trucks" (I chose the hardest ones), you should be able to find them at any skateboard shop... This put the shield up off the fairing and I notice no turbulence. You will also notice the clear rubber bumpers at the lower sides of the shield. I did this to increase airflow and to isolate the tiny bit of viberation and ribbing I was experiencing. Bingo! Problem solved!

One other note... The black edging doesn't really serve any purpose as near as I can tell. It was just on my bench so I was playing around and put it on. I did try out Micro Swirl Edging and it displayed no noticable effects (good or bad - so I returned it).

Hope the photos help!

M
Old 11-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

EW.

nah, dirt? who cares! what are we a bunch of limp wristed faring polishin' crotch rocket ninnies?

Very nice fotos PASSMORE, thanks for all the ideas. One Q (about the gray one I posted): do you need/like to be able to look thru your clear windshield?

Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

I prefer it to be clear actually (I was shooting for the tinted one I had seen on another inmate's). For the most part it just gives the illusion of not being there (I think) and does not draw a lot of attention to itself. I did crouch behind it on that shitty morning ride to Bojangles' when it was raining - fairly effective. I would go clear.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
EW.

nah, dirt? who cares! what are we a bunch of limp wristed faring polishin' crotch rocket ninnies?

Very nice fotos PASSMORE, thanks for all the ideas. One Q (about the gray one I posted): do you need/like to be able to look thru your clear windshield?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
I prefer it to be clear actually (I was shooting for the tinted one I had seen on another inmate's). For the most part it just gives the illusion of not being there (I think) and does not draw a lot of attention to itself. I did crouch behind it on that shitty morning ride to Bojangles' when it was raining - fairly effective. I would go clear. M

Roger that.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
It was weird riding Passmoore's bike because the wind felt like,,,,, well I didn't feel any wind Forgot what it felt like to ride a bike with a wind vest . If I wasn't looking at a speedo I wouldn't know if I was going to fast or to slow,,,, I guess that's a good thing..
For the mileage Passmoore is getting on his bike I would recommend it especially those planning long saddle days on the road

Didn't like his front tire though
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

I agree with Bo on the front tire... I really like my rear TKC80, but the front is not exactly confidence inspiring on the street, yet I cannot say I have had it wash out on me yet or exhibit any unexpected behavior...

Thanks for chiming in on the screen Bo!

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
It was weird riding Passmoore's bike because the wind felt like,,,,, well I didn't feel any wind Forgot what it felt like to ride a bike with a wind vest . If I wasn't looking at a speedo I wouldn't know if I was going to fast or to slow,,,, I guess that's a good thing..
For the mileage Passmoore is getting on his bike I would recommend it especially those planning long saddle days on the road

Didn't like his front tire though
Old 11-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Did somebody say Dakar windshield?

Opaque on mine, with the wings bent out (with a heat gun) to accomodate the KTM.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #11
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Did somebody say Dakar windshield?

Opaque on mine, with the wings bent out (with a heat gun) to accomodate the KTM.
ahh he's taunting you PASSMORE with the tinted one... The dog!

too bad the helmet is right there obscuring the view of your windscreen's lines. Did you need to bend the wings to mount it lower? everyone else seems to not need that step.