Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
What is a KTM 620 gs rd??? KTM people HELP!

Hello All...
Hopefully there are some of you with lots of KTM knowledge that can solve this frustrating mystery and help me get riding again!

I am an ex-pat in Portugal. Finally found a bike I am interested in (if it is what i think it is) but cannot find any info on it after trying all night!

it is a 1997 KTM 620 gs rd.

Moto spec websites like bikez and MCS, list three 620 models (not counting adventure and duke): egs, egs-e, and LSE.

I am a large very experienced dirt rider and am currently surrounded by some serious terrain so if it is an LSE I do not want it (LSE seems street oriented with WAY less suspension).

Looked at it and took small test ride on it, and I think it will work well if it is an egs.

Here is the ad with pics ..oh, and i believe it is a 97 not a 99 as it says in ad:
http://oliveiradeazemeis.olx.pt/vend...-iid-449667247
DangerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

Anyone?

Can anyone in Europe tell me how a 97-98 KTM 620 gs rd compares to a 620 egs, egs-e, or LSE???
Old 02-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
According to this,

http://databikes.com/infophoto/ktm/gs_620_rd-1997.html

it's a supermoto

or an enduro
http://databikes.com/infophoto/ktm/g...ries-1997.html
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
To me it looks like any old 609cc LC4. At a German site they compared EGS to SC (Super Competition, I think)

- Choke on the handle bar, not at the engine
- Square tachometer with warning lights vs. round without lights
- Ignition lock
- Bigger radiator
- Electric fan at the radiator
- Higher oil capacity (2.5l vs. 1.5l)
- Extra oil filter
- RD has a comfort seat, SC has a quick disconnect seat
- Battery
- Steel vs. aluminium sub-frame
- DR is a two seater
- Bigger tank (11.5l vs 9l)
- Heavier (133 kg vs. 122 kg)

It seems to be a dual purpose vs. competition bike when compared to the SC.
The LSE in a low seat, electric start, version of the LC4. It has shorter suspension.
I think that EGS-E is an electric start version of the EGS.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Read the title and blurted out lout, "awhodawutnaow??" lol
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,851
What carb is on it. If a Dell Orto it isn't terrible, I had that on a 620SX. BST I'd want to swap for a FCR for real hard endo stuff.

I see the older inverted forks I think? 96/97 color plastics.

It is a workable option if in good condition.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
ByStickel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Lots of interesting bikes for sale on that site.

I hear Portugal is beautiful...
ByStickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

The inverted forks are older? Interesting.

The confusing thing is that the designation "gs rd" must be on every '97-'98 620 title in portugal regardless of oil capacity, choke location (it is on carb by the way) passenger peg bracket (tube or cast), cooling fins on head or not, or suspension height! That or at KTM's factory they just slapped on whatever was laying around!

Well, it is still unclear whether or not this is the LSE or not. Looking at it in person I thought it sat a little low. At the time i just assumed it was just a little worn out, and perhaps lowered intentionally (popular around here considering the average inseam). Had i known how hard it would be to identify I would have measured a few things and pulled some numbers off the frame.

Bike is in good shape overall considering the age...engine looks and sounds perfect. Seems to pull great, and smooth. But if it is an LSE it eeent fer me.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
That looks like the equivalent of an RXC (egs) bike, but I can't tell if its a lowered bike from the pics.

Its electric start with a dellorto (dirty), 300 mm front disc, WP suspension

i would guess 97 or 98 but it doesnt really matter, its got the good ignition and spin on filter just like the later 640 bikes

If its lowered i bet it isnt hard to raise it back up if you had to. a lowered one would be more valuable here in the US

tubed passenger pegs and marzocchi suspension was 96 for the usa bikes. I think 98 or 99 620s were leftover 97s. 640 introduced in 99? Other big ktms got conventional WP forks in 98, 50mm i think.

the vin would tell more info
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByStickel View Post
Lots of interesting bikes for sale on that site.

I hear Portugal is beautiful...
Indeed! If you are from the states the bikes and bike culture are very interesting...road legal quads and 2 strokes...and the odd 750 super tenere etc. Thinking another 500 euro and I can pick up a nice xr650r. No more clearance or suspension height worries! But will be a trick to fit pass pegs for the occasional mountain picnic with the woman!

And it is truly beautiful here. Driving on well built winding mountain roads (read:you can go fast on em) coming around a bend into a village that looks the same as it did 800 years ago...tarmac turns to cobblestone and ya gotta tuck in the mirrors to fit....and sometimes you still can't. Then once through the village back to high speed tarmac and unbelievable views. If you ride, it is astonishingly beautiful! If you fancy street riding, roads are amazing, and the off roading looks to be world class!!! If you ride, yet have no bike, it is excruciatingly beautiful...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
That looks like the equivalent of an RXC (egs) bike, but I can't tell if its a lowered bike from the pics.

Its electric start with a dellorto (dirty), 300 mm front disc, WP suspension

i would guess 97 or 98 but it doesnt really matter, its got the good ignition and spin on filter just like the later 640 bikes

If its lowered i bet it isnt hard to raise it back up if you had to. a lowered one would be more valuable here in the US

tubed passenger pegs and marzocchi suspension was 96 for the usa bikes. I think 98 or 99 620s were leftover 97s. 640 introduced in 99? Other big ktms got conventional WP forks in 98, 50mm i think.

the vin would tell more info
Good info, I really appreciate it.

Wow, who would have thought lowering a dirt bike would be desirable? Having rode the old school dual shock dirtbikes it just seems like sacrilege.

Yeah, i am inclined to raise it up if possible...thats why all the head scratching. Very rocky and rugged in these parts.

Are the fork tubes normally flush with the top of the triple tree?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerCell View Post
Good info, I really appreciate it.

Wow, who would have thought lowering a dirt bike would be desirable? Having rode the old school dual shock dirtbikes it just seems like sacrilege.

Yeah, i am inclined to raise it up if possible...thats why all the head scratching. Very rocky and rugged in these parts.

Are the fork tubes normally flush with the top of the triple tree?
Seat height seems to be a big factor sometimes but a tall and/or skilled rider can ride any size bike.

Its kind of funny that you are worried if its lowered or not. I've sold quite a few horses and am amused when somebody asks me how tall a horse is when we are both standing next to the horse. I point to the horse and say "he's THAT tall".

in other words, did it seem too short when you sat on it?

If it is a lowered bike they probably did it with internal (and reversable) mods to the forks and shock. Or maybe different dogbone length on the rear.

The duke bikes had different forks with longer uppertubes, your bike shown doesn't have those types of forks and they are slid as far up as they will go in the triple clamps.

96 duke

97 rxc

another 97 rxc

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #13
DangerCell OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Seat height seems to be a big factor sometimes but a tall and/or skilled rider can ride any size bike.

Its kind of funny that you are worried if its lowered or not. I've sold quite a few horses and am amused when somebody asks me how tall a horse is when we are both standing next to the horse. I point to the horse and say "he's THAT tall".

in other words, did it seem too short when you sat on it?

If it is a lowered bike they probably did it with internal (and reversable) mods to the forks and shock. Or maybe different dogbone length on the rear.
dentvet, yes it did seem too low when i looked at it. I am asking, WHY does it seem low? If it is an egs that was shortened, I can un-shorten it easily. However, if it is an LSE, born short, it could be more difficult no?

I agree, skill, and i'll add determination, will overcome all sorts of shortcomings. I used to regularly sneak rides on (temporarily steal) my uncle's '79 xr500 when i was 12...I think I have enough skill to ride a dirtbike that is missing 1/3 of its suspension through some of the rockyest, steepest, gnarlyest terrain available...but that's as silly as asking how tall a horse is when your standing next to it