ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #166
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
Took off the fairing and the safari tank today to check how everything was under the clothes. Havn't had the tank off in a while and couple of the botls where exrtemly hard to remove! But all was well underneath even gave it a quick cleaning..very quick!



My version of a tail tidy. I relocated the indicators but had to make a new number plate light. I used an off the self LED with a few mods works good azz!



With the stock number plate bracket removed the tail light and indicator wiring was a bit exposed so I made an alloy plate to cover it up.


Still making my mind up on what type of air filter is best to replace the stock paper one? There is a good deal at the moment on a K&N but are they better or worse than a foam jobby. the cotton filters seem a little fragile to me? There was some notable dust residue inside the air box enough to convince me the paper filter aint the best...so I am going to replace it...but with what is the question?

I still have some time to decide as I'm wont be riding for nother month or so ...stupid broken leg!!
__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #167
grimripper
1pissanter
 
grimripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Byron Bay
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Still making my mind up on what type of air filter is best to replace the stock paper one? There is a good deal at the moment on a K&N but are they better or worse than a foam jobby. the cotton filters seem a little fragile to me? There was some notable dust residue inside the air box enough to convince me the paper filter aint the best...so I am going to replace it...but with what is the question?
KTM discontinued the paper filters usage about 18 mths ago or thereabouts.
My bike came with the paper and it leaked dust as well.
I was not happy with KTM after my engine had been unnecesarily 'dusted'.

The dealer eventually supplied me with a free UNIFILTER as they should have before handing the bike over to me.
No probs with this one as it does a good job with the occasional soap water clean and a spray of filter oil after being TOTALLY dried.

I also apply a bead of black gasket silicone after spraying a bit of oil onto the mating faces of the filter frame and the airbox to stop the silicone sticking as added insurance against dust ingress here.
__________________
KTM 69TE
watch this pace


grimripper screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 09:51 PM
grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #168
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
KTM discontinued the paper filters usage about 18 mths ago or thereabouts.
My bike came with the paper and it leaked dust as well.
I was not happy with KTM after my engine had been unnecesarily 'dusted'.

The dealer eventually supplied me with a free UNIFILTER as they should have before handing the bike over to me.
No probs with this one as it does a good job with the occasional soap water clean and a spray of filter oil after being TOTALLY dried.

I also apply a bead of black gasket silicone after spraying a bit of oil onto the mating faces of the filter frame and the airbox to stop the silicone sticking as added insurance against dust ingress here.

Thanks for that...I will ring my dealer on Monday for a CHAT but not holding my breath....they quoted me $220.00 for a foam one ex Austria which sucks; given the cost of the bike and KTM's build quality they should never have left the factory with a paper filter!

The K&N filter looks similar to the paper filter but has mesh screens with cotton cloth between them....I'm sure they are better than the stock one but am abit worried about how long they will last but they are on special for $117.00 deliverd to your door in 2 days.
__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #169
grimripper
1pissanter
 
grimripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Byron Bay
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Thanks for that...I will ring my dealer on Monday for a CHAT but not holding my breath....they quoted me $220.00 for a foam one ex Austria which sucks; given the cost of the bike and KTM's build quality they should never have left the factory with a paper filter!

The K&N filter looks similar to the paper filter but has mesh screens with cotton cloth between them....I'm sure they are better than the stock one but am abit worried about how long they will last but they are on special for $117.00 deliverd to your door in 2 days.
See PM.
__________________
KTM 69TE
watch this pace

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #170
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage
 
Paves's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Helena, Perth Hills
Oddometer: 1,663
Unifilter

I got one of these. Aus made but delivered to my door from the US for about AU$80 - less than from the cheapest place in Aus and that's not including postage. Seems to work well and I kept the snorkel on. Haven't been on any long rides with it yet though.
__________________
What's that you have in your eye?
Oohh! it's nothing but a sparkle

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #171
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
using the foam filter,liberal spraying with filter oil and a bunch of k&n filter grease on the sealing edge i finally got no dust inside. I was using rock oil water solubile oil and grease and it just didnt work but real simple to clean. i had to change the engine oil way early after a dusting but no more
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #172
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
KTM discontinued the paper filters usage about 18 mths ago or thereabouts.
I don't know where you took that info, but my 2011 was delivered few weeks ago with a paper filter.

Paul Jr
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #173
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
Uni filter arrived yesterday. Even pre oiled! Decided to go with the uni over the K&N as I think its a bit more robust long term...not saying its any better or worse than the K&N but 100% improvment on the stock paper jobby!

__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #174
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,285
Here in the USA the wholesale cost of the unifilter through parts unlimited is $25...retail around$ 45.....that's with non oiled black foam filters. Ktm twins sells the same unit with green foam and pre oiled for $65. Ktm sells the same exact filter with orange foam and ktm logo for $105. If your dealer quoted you $220 for this unit then that is almost 10 times the wholesale cost. Seems a bit extreme for an air filter.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #175
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Here in the USA the wholesale cost of the unifilter through parts unlimited is $25...retail around$ 45.....that's with non oiled black foam filters. Ktm twins sells the same unit with green foam and pre oiled for $65. Ktm sells the same exact filter with orange foam and ktm logo for $105. If your dealer quoted you $220 for this unit then that is almost 10 times the wholesale cost. Seems a bit extreme for an air filter.
I got it from Unifilter Austrailia for $102.00 AU including (freight to NZ) in 4 days. 2 KTM dealers quoted me $220.00 plus 6week wait.

Ktm NZ are renown for their over the top parts pricing. Its a fair bet that alot of their customer base are buying overseas which cant be good for their business. KTM have put the squezzze on outlets like KTM twins to prevent them shipping internationally (but this is easily got around) in a bid to force their customers to buy local and get ripped off. The dealers here don't carry much in the way of stock so theres usually the 6week wait as well. So while you can get better pricing and faster delivery overseas KTM NZ will continue to loose out and so they should.
__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #176
hogdoc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Id Ho
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Heres some shots of my Pelican cases mounted to Stock KTM Luggage racks. These are medium sized cases which suit me more than the larger ones....I can carry every thing i need in these plus I have a Large Top Case which can be mounted in place of the smaller oragne case shown in the picture. I don't cross many continents so have no need of the extra capacity.


This shot shows the mounts I made & fitted to the Cases. They are all sealed so the cases remain 100% water proof. I use some small friction straps to pull the cases up against the rubber buffers (ex door stops) which is simple but effective. I gave up in discust trying to figure out a key lock system...way to complex...this system works well and is easy to fit and take off.



How she looks with the boxes on


A shot of the new speedo fitted.

It must be the Harley rider in me but damn these black and orange KTMs look good!
hogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #177
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
MKII Fairing Bracket.

I decided to redesign the fairing support bracket. The headlight is now fixed directly to the Fairing and the fairing has a three way connection to the new bracket. The previous setup was working fine but the new bracket is more tidy and gives me more adjustability. There is also more room under the dash.





__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #178
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
First test ride with new support bracket, air filter and general spruce up....so far so good. Havn't riden it for 3 months but it almost feels like the engine is running smoother? Maybe the new foam air filter? or the 10w50 replaced with 10w60 engine oil? It use to clunk a bit when turning the engine off with the kill switch but now it just stops as quiet as a mouse in a cattery

__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #179
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,766
Even the lads on Top Gear are going to struggle getting this Toyota runing again



__________________
2010 KTM EXC 530
2008 Beta Rev3
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #180
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 9,021
Very nicely done
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014