Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #166
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Took off the fairing and the safari tank today to check how everything was under the clothes. Havn't had the tank off in a while and couple of the botls where exrtemly hard to remove! But all was well underneath even gave it a quick cleaning..very quick!

My version of a tail tidy. I relocated the indicators but had to make a new number plate light. I used an off the self LED with a few mods works good azz!

With the stock number plate bracket removed the tail light and indicator wiring was a bit exposed so I made an alloy plate to cover it up.

Still making my mind up on what type of air filter is best to replace the stock paper one? There is a good deal at the moment on a K&N but are they better or worse than a foam jobby. the cotton filters seem a little fragile to me? There was some notable dust residue inside the air box enough to convince me the paper filter aint the best...so I am going to replace it...but with what is the question?

I still have some time to decide as I'm wont be riding for nother month or so ...stupid broken leg!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #167
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Still making my mind up on what type of air filter is best to replace the stock paper one? There is a good deal at the moment on a K&N but are they better or worse than a foam jobby. the cotton filters seem a little fragile to me? There was some notable dust residue inside the air box enough to convince me the paper filter aint the best...so I am going to replace it...but with what is the question?
KTM discontinued the paper filters usage about 18 mths ago or thereabouts.
My bike came with the paper and it leaked dust as well.
I was not happy with KTM after my engine had been unnecesarily 'dusted'.

The dealer eventually supplied me with a free UNIFILTER as they should have before handing the bike over to me.
No probs with this one as it does a good job with the occasional soap water clean and a spray of filter oil after being TOTALLY dried.

I also apply a bead of black gasket silicone after spraying a bit of oil onto the mating faces of the filter frame and the airbox to stop the silicone sticking as added insurance against dust ingress here.

grimripper screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 09:51 PM
grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #168
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
My bike came with the paper and it leaked dust as well.
I was not happy with KTM after my engine had been unnecesarily 'dusted'.

The dealer eventually supplied me with a free UNIFILTER as they should have before handing the bike over to me.
No probs with this one as it does a good job with the occasional soap water clean and a spray of filter oil after being TOTALLY dried.

I also apply a bead of black gasket silicone after spraying a bit of oil onto the mating faces of the filter frame and the airbox to stop the silicone sticking as added insurance against dust ingress here.

Thanks for that...I will ring my dealer on Monday for a CHAT but not holding my breath....they quoted me $220.00 for a foam one ex Austria which sucks; given the cost of the bike and KTM's build quality they should never have left the factory with a paper filter!

The K&N filter looks similar to the paper filter but has mesh screens with cotton cloth between them....I'm sure they are better than the stock one but am abit worried about how long they will last but they are on special for $117.00 deliverd to your door in 2 days.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #169
grimripper
1pissanter

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Thanks for that...I will ring my dealer on Monday for a CHAT but not holding my breath....they quoted me $220.00 for a foam one ex Austria which sucks; given the cost of the bike and KTM's build quality they should never have left the factory with a paper filter!

The K&N filter looks similar to the paper filter but has mesh screens with cotton cloth between them....I'm sure they are better than the stock one but am abit worried about how long they will last but they are on special for $117.00 deliverd to your door in 2 days.
See PM.

grimripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #170
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Unifilter

I got one of these. Aus made but delivered to my door from the US for about AU$80 - less than from the cheapest place in Aus and that's not including postage. Seems to work well and I kept the snorkel on. Haven't been on any long rides with it yet though.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #171
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
using the foam filter,liberal spraying with filter oil and a bunch of k&n filter grease on the sealing edge i finally got no dust inside. I was using rock oil water solubile oil and grease and it just didnt work but real simple to clean. i had to change the engine oil way early after a dusting but no more
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #172
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimripper View Post
I don't know where you took that info, but my 2011 was delivered few weeks ago with a paper filter.

Paul Jr
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #173
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Uni filter arrived yesterday. Even pre oiled! Decided to go with the uni over the K&N as I think its a bit more robust long term...not saying its any better or worse than the K&N but 100% improvment on the stock paper jobby!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #174
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
Here in the USA the wholesale cost of the unifilter through parts unlimited is $25...retail around$ 45.....that's with non oiled black foam filters. Ktm twins sells the same unit with green foam and pre oiled for $65. Ktm sells the same exact filter with orange foam and ktm logo for $105. If your dealer quoted you $220 for this unit then that is almost 10 times the wholesale cost. Seems a bit extreme for an air filter.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #175
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Here in the USA the wholesale cost of the unifilter through parts unlimited is $25...retail around$ 45.....that's with non oiled black foam filters. Ktm twins sells the same unit with green foam and pre oiled for $65. Ktm sells the same exact filter with orange foam and ktm logo for $105. If your dealer quoted you $220 for this unit then that is almost 10 times the wholesale cost. Seems a bit extreme for an air filter.
I got it from Unifilter Austrailia for $102.00 AU including (freight to NZ) in 4 days. 2 KTM dealers quoted me $220.00 plus 6week wait.

Ktm NZ are renown for their over the top parts pricing. Its a fair bet that alot of their customer base are buying overseas which cant be good for their business. KTM have put the squezzze on outlets like KTM twins to prevent them shipping internationally (but this is easily got around) in a bid to force their customers to buy local and get ripped off. The dealers here don't carry much in the way of stock so theres usually the 6week wait as well. So while you can get better pricing and faster delivery overseas KTM NZ will continue to loose out and so they should.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #176
hogdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Heres some shots of my Pelican cases mounted to Stock KTM Luggage racks. These are medium sized cases which suit me more than the larger ones....I can carry every thing i need in these plus I have a Large Top Case which can be mounted in place of the smaller oragne case shown in the picture. I don't cross many continents so have no need of the extra capacity.

This shot shows the mounts I made & fitted to the Cases. They are all sealed so the cases remain 100% water proof. I use some small friction straps to pull the cases up against the rubber buffers (ex door stops) which is simple but effective. I gave up in discust trying to figure out a key lock system...way to complex...this system works well and is easy to fit and take off.

How she looks with the boxes on

A shot of the new speedo fitted.

It must be the Harley rider in me but damn these black and orange KTMs look good!
hogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #177
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

MKII Fairing Bracket.

I decided to redesign the fairing support bracket. The headlight is now fixed directly to the Fairing and the fairing has a three way connection to the new bracket. The previous setup was working fine but the new bracket is more tidy and gives me more adjustability. There is also more room under the dash.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #178
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

First test ride with new support bracket, air filter and general spruce up....so far so good. Havn't riden it for 3 months but it almost feels like the engine is running smoother? Maybe the new foam air filter? or the 10w50 replaced with 10w60 engine oil? It use to clunk a bit when turning the engine off with the kill switch but now it just stops as quiet as a mouse in a cattery

Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #179
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Even the lads on Top Gear are going to struggle getting this Toyota runing again

Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #180
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,021
Very nicely done

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote