tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Well after battling this thing for what seems like weeks now I'm bailing

the tower doesn't work with the E headlight

the fairing doesn't work with the E headlight So it gets cut

so we build a headlight support and a fairing support then start building a dash support and it starts h=getting more and more complicated. So I get into my head that 3000k+ of corrogations will shake this thing to death.

CSR and ABH is not a suitable testing ground for home-made fairing frames.

I'm going back to stock with the little touring screen, I just need some plate to mount the powerlets and uhf, gps etc.

Sod it all
Oh cumon.........
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #47
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman
Oh cumon.........
Yeah I know. It's hard to believe but I'm not the brains of this outfit.

Fish was doing really quite well but after very many hours and weekends in the shed, it was obvious it wasn't going to work out any time soon and simplification was the key for this big trip. It wasn't made any easier by nothing fitting and neither of us knowing what we were doing.

I can't say never but I can say not now.

I'm depressed

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #48
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Yeah I know. It's hard to believe but I'm not the brains of this outfit.

Fish was doing really quite well but after very many hours and weekends in the shed, it was obvious it wasn't going to work out any time soon and simplification was the key for this big trip. It wasn't made any easier by nothing fitting and neither of us knowing what we were doing.

I can't say never but I can say not now.

I'm depressed
Don't worry...be Happy ....its always darkest before a storm...err I mean the darkest storm is darkest before the storm...no wait...if its raining theres a stormy night ahead....dang nabit...Don't give up, tomorrows another day by golly
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #49
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Nice looking bike! Looks like a great project and the fairing looks like a true bargain and good quality.

For those interested that is just the new and now only design of the speedo/dash, ordering one will get you that new one not the old style with big round buttons which is now redundant/superseeded/has ceased to be.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #50
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Somewhat offtopic Question:
I'm considering switching my ktm 990 adventure for a 690 enduro to get a bike that is somewhat more dirt oriented. I use my bike to get to work on a daily basis and do 70 kms of highway twice a week. I also use it to go on holidays (luggage!).
Since you own or have owned both, could you tell me if the 690 is up for the job? Will it do everything the 990 does?

Nice mod btw!
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #51
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master
I'm considering switching my ktm 990 adventure for a 690 enduro to get a bike that is somewhat more dirt oriented. I use my bike to get to work on a daily basis and do 70 kms of highway twice a week. I also use it to go on holidays (luggage!).
Since you own or have owned both, could you tell me if the 690 is up for the job? Will it do everything the 990 does?

Nice mod btw!
The stock 690 is a great bike which will easily handle the work you have described. Having said that it is set up as an Enduro so needs a few mods to make it more user freindly for longer voyages.

The stock seat for example is designed for lots of standing!! so the comfort levels when sitting down for any lenght of time are serverly reduced.

The stock 690 will do some things better than the 990, single tracks, tight corners, rock climbing to name a few, but is not set up for road touring. Hence the reason I "adventurised" mine. You anint gonna get that rush of power when you roll on the trottle that you get on the 990, but don't get me wrong the 690 aint no slug!

It is difficult to compare the two bikes because each is very capable in its own right. For me I would still have my 990 if not for a leg injury which nesessitated a lighter bike. The 70kg difference plus the KTM build quality, power, looks, performance etc was enough to sway it for the 690 for me. There aint a bike in its class that comes close to it.

Lastly, there are some who have had problems with their 690's (you can read about on the 690 Thread) but by far the majority of 690's sold have been fine....there are always duds in any machiney production. If you want a 690 take one for a spin is the best way to make a decision....for my money though the 690 Adverturised is pretty close to the perfect adventure bike .....for me....but I loved my 990....but the 690 is cool azz...but so is the 990....
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #52
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the useful answer.
still hesitating, will take it for a testride I guess
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #53
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
thanks for the useful answer.
still hesitating, will take it for a testride I guess
I went from a 950 Super Enduro to the 690R Enduro and haven't quit smiling. What a hoot the 690 is! I ride it to work everyday and hit every dirt road I can find. Coolest bike I have ever had.

Steve
sc-razor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #54
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:

Nice mod btw!
Having had a 950 and a 690 at the same time...then sold the 950 and now just have a 690 I can say....the best combo is to have the 950/990 and a 400 or 450 sized bike. Two bikes that do what they were designed to do very well vs 1 bike that does what it was designed to do well and does ok on the fringes. My 690 is becoming my rally bike...possibly touring machine but I still crave to have something like a 950SE in the stable.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #55
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what most people tell me, but I can't finance 2 bikes right now (still a student, no income )
Old 06-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
That's what most people tell me, but I can't finance 2 bikes right now (still a student, no income )
no need for either or both to be new.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #57
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
sell the 990, buy the 690 and a cheap 2fiddy...... cash saved on the running costs of the big boy will cover any short falls ....just an idea?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #58
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Speed Daddy,

Thanks for the work you have done on this thread. There are many of us that are happy owners of the 990 and looking to go this route. You have put together my dream bike !!

P

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #59
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Pelican Panniers

Heres some shots of my Pelican cases mounted to Stock KTM Luggage racks. These are medium sized cases which suit me more than the larger ones....I can carry every thing i need in these plus I have a Large Top Case which can be mounted in place of the smaller oragne case shown in the picture. I don't cross many continents so have no need of the extra capacity.

This shot shows the mounts I made & fitted to the Cases. They are all sealed so the cases remain 100% water proof. I use some small friction straps to pull the cases up against the rubber buffers (ex door stops) which is simple but effective. I gave up in discust trying to figure out a key lock system...way to complex...this system works well and is easy to fit and take off.

How she looks with the boxes on

A shot of the new speedo fitted.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #60
mattis
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy
How she looks with the boxes on
Hi! That's a very pretty girl. Where did you get that rally style front fender? Is it the KTM Rally OEM part?