ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
RocketMan OP
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 774
Mid-atlantic air cooled thumper riders gathering/rally

Having rediscovered the joys of riding single cylinder air cooled machines in recent years I would love to get together with others on the east coast /mid-Atlantic region for rides and or weekend gatherings. I currently own a 1975 Honda CB125, which I refer to as my "Shits and Grins" city bike and then this past summer I purchased one of the new (to the US market) Yamaha SR400, being essentially unchanged since its first production in 1978. Still a basic, no frills, minimalistic machine, it encompasses all those qualities that first attracted me to motorcycling back in the mid 60's when I first started riding.

For the past number of years I have been hosting a small gathering in Seneca Rocks, Wv on the Fathers day weekend. While the gathering started out as a rally for the venerable BMW /5 series of motorcycles attendance has dropped off over the years and now that I am back into riding air cooled singles I would love to have a gathering of other air cooled singles riders. I would like to extend an invitation to join us, Vintage or new, any displacement, makes no difference, just ride on down.
This year Father's Day falls on the 21st of June so the gathering would run from the Friday before, June 19 thru Sunday, June 21.

The gathering takes place at the Yokum Princess Snowbird campground right at the base of the rocks at the intersection of Rts. 55, 28 and 33. there is camping, cabins, and a small motel above the store, food/eats, including prepared at several small restaurants, take out and general grocery items, beer and firewood, all available within a five minute walk of the campground. There are no fees for the gathering, no planned events, just great riding and tire-kicking. Everyone makes their own arrangements thru www.Yokum.com .

So if interested let me know and what you ride. Hope to see a few thumper riders there or anyone local (northern Va) who'd like to get together for day rides or whatever.

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
jhark37
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi, rocketman,

Just came across this thread. Haven't looked at my calendar yet, but this get together looks good. I, too, have an SR400, as well as a WeeStrom, but I'd expect to bring the 400. I've subsribed to the thread to keep up.

John
jhark37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
jhark37
n00b

Oddometer: 8
BTW, I'm in Floyd County. VA.
jhark37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 721
If I still have my '95 MZ Silver Star Classic in June, I'll probably ride down for at least a day.

'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,667
Have to play it by ear, but I'd ride out if not booked up.

Dr650, Richmond. Subscribed...
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
RocketMan OP
Out Rocketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRider View Post
If I still have my '95 MZ Silver Star Classic in June, I'll probably ride down for at least a day.

Sweet, hope to see it in June if you still have it.

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
RocketMan OP
Out Rocketing

Bump

Only a month away, hope to see a few air cooled singles, or any others interested in spending a weekend in one of the best riding areas around at the event.

I have decided to call this the Odd Man Out non-rally/gathering in the hopes of attracting others who, like me, ride machines that not necessarily the most popular, high sales seen every day, rides. Air cooled, vintage, classic, modern or whatever. If you ride something a bit unusual, or are interested in such come on down! All are welcome.
Yukom's Vacationland Princesses Snowbird camp ground, right at the base of Seneca Rocks.
June 19-21 2015.

RM, rally Bastard at Large.