Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Planespotting OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
TomTom

Why is everyone so down on TomTom? I cannot see dropping big $$$ on a Zumo and figure a TomTom and aquabox should do the trick. Mostly all I see 'round here is Garmin this and Garmin that.... what gives?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Wulf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Hello neighbor!

I recently compared two entry-level TT (340 XL - $100) and Garmin (285WT - $120) units.

I really wanted to like and keep the TomTom but decided to go the Garmin way this time (bought a TT a few years ago). Main reasons:

- Display was easier to read in sunlight and bright overcast days on the Garmin.
- When searching for POIs nearby, the TT will only display results in the city you're currently in. Garmin will display anything around you and even display an arrow next to each result in relation to the direction you're currently going.
- The Garmin zooms out when you're moving so you can get an overview of the area around you (lakes etc). You can zoom out with the TT but it will always zoom back in.
- Because Garmin is more popular, it's easier to find help.

In the end, I decided to return the 285WT and bought a 755T ($180) becuase it has a few more features and has more customization options.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,259
I bought a (second) TomTom ONE on EBay for $60. Works for me, just the basics: waypoints/routes/poi/etc. Not waterproof, but that's what ziplocs are for (which I hardly ever use).

Download the free Tyre program and you can make routes in Google Maps , then upload to TomTom. Tyre also converts to any format, so you can share with your Garmin buddies.

Why is everyone down on TomTom? Don't know, they seem like pretty good navigators. The only thing they don't do is off-road. Probably most don't even know them.

Having said all that, these days in the truck I use my Android phone with Google navigation. As soon as Google makes downloadable maps available, I'll start using it on the bike as well; already have the mount for it :-)
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 580
I don't know about the other TomTom complaints but for me my TomTom One XL is a crap shoot here in Brazil. Sometimes it gets me there other times it tells me to turn when there is no road. It does a few other screwy things like that. I get all the map updates and keep it current but it still is not confidence inspiring. My riding buddies have Garmins and do not seem to have any problem.

Anyone want to buy a nice used TomTom One XL in Brazil????
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I have a TT XXL 530S and its not bad, takes forever to find the satellites but other than that I like it. Bought it on black friday and it was like $120.

Just added a program that will keep a log of where you have been so that you can share routes and also has a virtual dashboard that will show min/max/avg speed, total/trip travel time, total/trip distance, compass, and altimeter. Its a pretty nice program and was free to download also. There is also a "offroad" program available that turns the TT into a digital compass and will lead you to waypoints that dont correspond with any maps.

To use tracks posted here you have to convert it to .itn because the TT doesn't read .gpx files.

Link to the converter HERE. Links up to google maps to allow you to edit and create routes and will convert to any format.

Log and Dashboard program HERe
This program works with any TomTom.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay

peanut_gallery screwed with this post 05-29-2010 at 11:28 PM
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Reverse

Where do you get that Tyre program?? Cant seem to find it. I have a Tom Tom and need to convert some files for an upcoming ride.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi
Reverse

Where do you get that Tyre program?? Cant seem to find it. I have a Tom Tom and need to convert some files for an upcoming ride.
It can be downloaded right here