ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
thanks for posting those pics....and starting a plumber school....

good chance i'll see the race tomorrow in t.o.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
GREAT RR! Good job finding dirt ;)

Anymore pictures of the female plumbers?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
My wife and I were at the start in Nevada City on Sunday and got a few shots of support bikes. The Aprilias of Team Sram were particularly cool. They'd set the motorcycles up as mobile workshops, with spares bolted on to racks.
SRAM is not an actual team. The company provides "neutral support" to all of the racers for mechanical failures, flats, and crash damage suffered during the race. This is in addition to each team's own support vehicles and staff. Neutral support is sent first into small gaps during the race when there isn't enough room to send in the team cars. The motorcycle goes in first because of size and agility, then the neutral service car which carries more stuff including complete bicycles. They try to keep support as close as possible without interfering with the race.

SRAM just started using Aprilia Manna motorcycles this season. The automatic shifting and no clutch is a big advantage when traveling at low speeds on big climbs with lots of starts on hills.

BRF
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #19
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead
GREAT RR! Good job finding dirt ;)

Anymore pictures of the female plumbers?

There is a solution for that problem!

http://www.geckotales.com/CrackSpackle.wmv

Although I am much less inclined to bother with it in this case!
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #20
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Although I am much less inclined to bother with it in this case!
+1

lol on the link

This is better though:

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/backtacular
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfinley
SRAM is not an actual team. The company provides "neutral support" to all of the racers for mechanical failures, flats, and crash damage suffered during the race. This is in addition to each team's own support vehicles and staff. Neutral support is sent first into small gaps during the race when there isn't enough room to send in the team cars. The motorcycle goes in first because of size and agility, then the neutral service car which carries more stuff including complete bicycles. They try to keep support as close as possible without interfering with the race.

SRAM just started using Aprilia Manna motorcycles this season. The automatic shifting and no clutch is a big advantage when traveling at low speeds on big climbs with lots of starts on hills.

BRF
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I followed bike racing as a kid and then through college, but other things have filled in since then.

The Aprilias were very nicely outfitted.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

it was chilly then warm, then cold his afternoon in thousand oaks...regardless it was a great day..

grey anatomy

great coverage

Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

the only thing orange here are the safety vests, cones, and signs (the way it should).........

nice....

ventura search and rescue bikes...nice 640A

same with the xchallenge

and 3 xr400s....

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
dirtdadx OP
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 483
Nice pics. I took some time to talk to the guys who ride the support/camera bikes right in there with the riders. They are all professionals. There is a whole process of coming up through the ranks, starting with smaller events, etc.

The final day in Thousand Oaks was an awesome race, like two different races going on at once, with the contenders fighting it out right to the finish line. With many stage races the time gaps are so big by last day that final stage is a formality, so it was great to see.
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #25
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596

I talked to these guys too. They had me tell the boss the pics of the Aprillia made the internet. Good PR for the bike I guess.
The guy on the back reminded me of a gymnast, to be able to carry all that and work on the bikes too.

Fun times to watch all this in person. Amgen's contract is up on the primary sponsorship, I wonder if they will renew? Now that Floyd's not on the payroll anymore.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #26
Bullseye
Mr. Bad Example

Oddometer: 336
TOC - Stage 8

Joel - Funny you got those two guys in spandex. We were partying with a large group (including those two) up on the Rock Store climb. It was crazy up there.

We did a little chalking before the race...

Here's a video frame grab from Versus... that's my wife on the left in the orange jacket....

That was a really fun event. It was so cool to be able to watch an epic road race unfold right in front of you and to see the race go by 4 times. I just hope that they do this stage again next year.

As for the guys in the first pic and the guy (yes, that's a man) running with my wife... let's just say there was a lot of beer, wigs and il-advised spandex in our group.

KTM 520 exc
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #27
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Joel - Funny you got those two guys in spandex. We were partying with a large group (including those two) up on the Rock Store climb. It was crazy up there.

i agree taylor, it was a lot of fun and just watching the racers in close proximity was a scarce opportunity.

the spandex boys also get the girls........
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:

We did a little chalking before the race...

Here's a video frame grab from Versus... that's my wife on the left in the orange jacket....

That was a really fun event. It was so cool to be able to watch an epic road race unfold right in front of you and to see the race go by 4 times. I just hope that they do this stage again next year.

As for the guys in the first pic and the guy (yes, that's a man) running with my wife... let's just say there was a lot of beer, wigs and il-advised spandex in our group.
Maybe I'm wrongBut To me it Looks Like a picture of 2 A-holes F'n up someones race
clearly It looks like a lot of the riders had to go around 2 stupid people in their sucessful attemp at their 1/3 of a second of fame
(Probably having hit their lifetime Max)
Congratulations Idiots
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Bullseye
Mr. Bad Example

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Maybe I'm wrongBut To me it Looks Like a picture of 2 A-holes F'n up someones race
clearly It looks like a lot of the riders had to go around 2 stupid people in their sucessful attemp at their 1/3 of a second of fame
Congratulations Idiots
No one had to ride around anyone. This is situation normal on these climbs... and especially so in Europe. I watched all four laps and never saw any rider impeded in any way by any fans. It is chaotic, but it's also what makes pro cycling special... the riders are right there with you, not isolated from you by barricades, fences, gates, security.
You may not like it, but it's the reality of fan 'participation' in pro cycling on climbs like these.

KTM 520 exc
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
No one had to ride around anyone. This is situation normal on these climbs... and especially so in Europe. I watched all four laps and never saw any rider impeded in any way by any fans. It is chaotic, but it's also what makes pro cycling special... the riders are right there with you, not isolated from you by barricades, fences, gates, security.
You may not like it, but it's the reality of fan 'participation' in pro cycling on climbs like these.
Maybe I was wrong ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Congratulations Idiots

Guess That sounded a little harsh after I reread what I wrote

(but I've had a few races screwed up by possibly sober but probably drunk spectators)

But I'd be really interested in hearing what the actual riders would say if asked about it

I'm sure they must find some of it very entertaining and some of it very annoying
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote