User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Virginia > OBX North Carolina, 3-days the Easy Way

It’s nothing like the hard core adventure trips reported in this forum for sure, in fact it’s probably pretty boring but I needed to get away from THIS for a few days…

Fun job designing web experiences, but the batteries are running low. On this trip I’ll take 2 ferry crossings, meet cool ppl, get attacked by an emu, pose with Grave Digger, see a UFO, ride below sea level and race a Ducatti Supersport on my KLR650. So maybe it’s worth a read…

Day 1.

Left the DC area at noon on Friday, didn’t get photos of the first part of the ride but basically I-95 to Fredericksburg VA was uneventful. Then I took rt.17 east. Much better.

Crossed the Rappahannock river at Tappahannock. (those are real names...)

Found a nice place for a break. Just being 50 miles out felt good. Getting into the feel of the bike now. Romping around a couple of the curves

Fall colors were peaking, is a good year for colors.

Arrived at Merry Point Ferry. I could have ridden around this area, but wanted to check this out.

2 cars max. Every 20 minutes.

Crossing.

The ferry uses a cable so the captain,

doesn’t steer. Says there’ll be a 4 car ferry next year. Despite bad economic times, expansion and progress is hitting some places. Small as it may be :) Nice guy, enjoyed talking with him about his boat the the local area. Real interesting to think about his cube compared to mine. His floats and does favors to people every day. Mine stays in one place and everyone who visits normally has a problem they can't fix. I'm a fixer. He's also a fixer but I'm sure his work isn't always peachy. Mechanical issues, weather, rude passengers and more are not fun things to deal with. But he's got a better view than I do and no mouse. Real buttons.

Departed with a wave. So far the trip is the medicine I need. Shadows are getting long and I’ve got over 2 hours to ride.

I call ahead to my friends I’ll be visiting for the night in Suffolk, VA to let them know I’ll be late. The ride was very nice; I crossed over into Yorktown and then crossed the 4-mile James River Bridge under a shining moon. I shoot through patches of luminous ground fog that creeps off the farm fields into the road. I feel cool from it each time I slice through. Just being “off the grid” for half a day on the bike was already settling in with me well. The aggressive purr of the 650 thumper at 5k rpms sounded like the best music I could ask for, I’d turned off the iPod a while back.

Arrival at the end of day 1 after 255 miles I unpacked in their guest quarters. The bear had been killed by a car next to some of their forest property so they kept the skin and had a rug made. Their cats love it, they fight over it so much they can’t let them near it.

We visited and ate sushi, got a nice concert from their daughter. We discussed personal and global events into the night. We decided to take a ride tomorrow morning. I was thinking of how I wanted to re-adjust my rear suspension for my luggage, he was thinking about how he would whoop my ass on his 1000 Ducatti. Of course that’s not fair against a 650 enduro but I’m up for it.
Ended up with 255 miles for the half day ride. Trip well underway.

donnymoto screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 03:48 PM
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,384
It looks like you had a nice ride! Fall colors in full swing to boot, thanks for the report and pics
Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
It looks like you had a nice ride! Fall colors in full swing to boot, thanks for the report and pics
Thanks, yes the colors are great. 3 more days coming... hmm I think the title should have been "3.5 days".
Old 11-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2

I woke at 6. They didn’t. Had some time to roam around their compound… I mean house :) His family has been in the timber and farming business for 3 generations. They just sold their lumber mill where I used to be mill manager and graphic designer. Was an unusual job for sure. This house was his grandparents. He’s added on a few things like the 3-car garage with guest apartment.

Their indoor cats were up, here are 3 of the 4.

I took a walk in the back yard and their emu took an interest to me. I’ve been around emus before but this one didn’t like it that I was there so he was pecking at me. I got out of there before any damage was done.

Rolled the KLR out of the stable, had adjusted the rear shock before I left home, too tight. Now I set it a little lighter. Needed to see how it does without luggage since I will ride some without it.

Rode down to a field they’ve leased to a cotton farmer. Was OK for me to thrash around a bit. Not in the cotton of course but on the access roads.

Back at their house we grab breakfast, coffee and about 10 he gets ready to ride.

Unfortunately it started to rain on our ride so we returned. Grabbed this shot before putting the bikes away. (It's for sale. PM me if interested)

They had to leave for a concert so I stayed behind and let the rain pass before leaving, loaded up the bike out of the rain.

Rain stopped at 1:30 so I rolled out and grabbed a shot in the old mill office parking lot right next to their house.

Heading down rt 10 I passed some sweet looking Honda dirt bikes…

CRF 250, modified, $3800.

I’m a sucker for vehicles. After crossing into North Carolina I saw some muscle cars for sale.

And my favorite...

Wow, daydreaming on a trip that was my daydream for a week before. The roads were drying up form the rain so I took off my rain pants, my jacket is actually waterproof as advertised. Can start shooting more pics now as well.

This is not a secret spot, but you pass the Grave Digger digs on the way to Cape Hatteras. This display was pretty cool. Had to grab a shot. See, all my initial claims are true so far!

I’m getting closer, love to think of how the barrier islands stretch way out into the Atlantic. Some places are such a thin strip of sand. It’s usually a great place in the late fall and winter, no crowds to speak of. I usually blast through Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head.

The sun was setting, and doing so in a dramatic fashion. I grabbed a shot on the bike then headed for Bodie Island Lighthouse. Gonna be a good one!

Stopped for this one just before the lighthouse.

The light was just magical. I focused on photos and nothing else. There was a small deer hanging out close by. I think he’s looking for food. No time for that with this show happening.

The Atlantic coast is a place I love to visit. I've grew up in this area until I was 13, and it draws me back into deep thought every time I visit. This was a great night on the OBX.

I arrive at Buxton after riding into blowing sand and large puddles of water. I tied on 2 bandannas and closed the vents to keep the sand out of my helmet. Check into the Lighthouse View Motel. Highly recommended, clean and good price. Ate out and chatted with some locals about the recent rainstorm that caused all the water that I dodged earlier on the road. Was still pretty windy as well. There was a fishing tournament as well. I didn't bring my gear, fishing wasn't great right now according to some. Wasn’t as crowd-free as I expected. Not bad though. 203 miles today. Slept well listening to the wind howling outside.

donnymoto screwed with this post 11-11-2008 at 04:07 PM
Old 11-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,405
Great RR, and what a fantastic shot....

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev
Great RR, and what a fantastic shot....
Thanks Kev!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next, Day 3

Day 3

Woke at 6, again, not used to daylight time yet. Made some coffee and headed out for a pastry. Destination is the Canadian Hole, the name coined because of all the Canadian windsurfers that frequent it. Great winds with more docile and shallow waters on one side and the ocean only a short walk away.

The water is always trying to reclaim itís space. Historically these bits of land have moved, disappeared and reappeared. Now that mankind owns parcels of land and builds highways, weíre trying to keep it the same. Good luck to us.

Did some riding in the sand. Found quickly that Iíd forgotten to bring something to use for my kickstand in the sand. Well I thought I would just find a large sea shell or trash like a can. No luck so this is the only shot I got where I could prop up the bike on a piece of concrete. The KLR did well but I need different tires for the soft stuff. Still got through it.

Back at the motel I was packing and saw this fellow on one less wheel than Iíve got.

Parked next to a real nice guy on a sweet Harley. He was riding with his wife as passenger and his buddy with his wife. He was wiping the sea film off his bike and started to talk about his friend doesnít take care of his bike. We chatted about the importance of motorcycle maintenance and how some bike owners donít work on their bikes. This was a familiar conversation but I didnít think of how at the time. Heís a home contractor and his 2 sons work for him. Not the only Harley rider I would meet on this trip. All were just nice people. Iím getting a Harley someday.

It was off to ride the island and then my final destination for the day, my Momís place in Virginia Beach. Hatteras lighthouse is getting some work done on it.

The marsh areas are very nice here. I usually fish for Drum and Specks in these places. Today Iíve got the camera. This morning, the water almost disappears into the horizon.

The only drag about this area, strait roads.

The coast isnít strait.

Atlantic light.

I actually saw this ufo land, little green guys got out and took photos of me. So yes, I did see a ufo.

On the road again. Heading north.

The GPS shows how thin some of the land areas are. Just fantastic.

Wait, this elevation canít be right. I donít have the u-boat farkle on the KLR finished yet...

Just outside Salvo there is a civil war cemetery,

The beach next to the cemetery.

Dunes on the Atlantic coast.

Next time I come down, I will be renting one of these!

Typical scenery.

Nature trying to reclaim. Man resisting.

Oregon Inlet and bridge. While parking here met another Harley rider who was taking a break from fishing and very interested in the KLR. Seemed to like the utility value of it. Talked for a while about riding then he said he would take a nap and try to fish later, maybe it would pick up.

Arriving in Nags Head, yes Iím in Nags Head for sureÖ

Finally I ride up to a coffee shop I like in Duck. There is a nice place to relax on the back deck.

So I decide to take the Knotts Island ferry to Virginia Beach. I start the final leg for today. This area is close the Great Dismal Swap. I ride through some swamp land. Just off both sides of the road are canals.

In line for the ferry. This one is bigger than the one Friday.

I would only leave the bike to run up and get this shot. The deck was leaning to the right and no straps. Was OK though, I had a great spot.

Arriving on Knotts Island, Iíd never been here before. Great roads!

Arrived fine at Momís place. We went out for all-u-can-eat flounder, $10 each. What a deal. Bones included. I slept well again. This trip hasnít been challenging in the least but what a nice time. Revving the KLR through the curves, seeing the sights, great weather. Not too bad at all. One more day left to write up.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Cycletech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Great report! Glad to see the UFO is still there. I think that's one of a number of homes built back in the 60's called Futuro's. http://www.m-pm.com/
Cycletech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Very enjoyable RR.

The barrier islands are my second favorite place on earth. I've been going there since I was a little boy. We used to drive our 65 Pontiac Catalina on the beach. My dad had a set of wheels widened to 8" and had a set of slick snow tires we'd put on when we got there. When we got stuck, we'd dig a path in front of the tires, place 2X8's in front of them, and drive away. It was my job to grab the boards, throw them in the trunk, and jump in the car while it was moving!

All these years, and I've never ridden a bike down there....
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cycletech, yes that looks just like the house in OBX, very cool link, thanks!
SRMN8R, that sounds like a fun time, riding the beach like that. What's your first favorite place?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4.

Day 4. Monday

I know the thread says 3 days, the 4th day wasn't as easy because it's the last and I didn't want it to end. Started out at Mom's helping with a few quick chores, parked the bike off the street.

Cats seem to want to ride. No matter where I am, cats hang out around the gear before I leave. Of course most would freak out if they got on a running bike.

Left Virginia Beach. Stopped by West Marine to get some conditioner for plastics, the red panels, fenders and shroud are oxidizing. Rode through Hampton then in Yorktown crossed the York River.

Typical roads in the area. Easy riding.

Not so typical. Stopped to adjust some gear and saw this old road, took a spin down it for a mile or so until it ended up in someone's backyard.

Break time,

Continuing on the road had some sweet twisties for being flat land, pretty nice!

Rt14 had some cool replicas of old gas stations.

Had to pass through Helmet, VA.

Fixer-upper

Roads got better.

Stopped just east on Fredericksburg at Hornes. The (edit) cruiser rider and I struck up conversation and traded tips on back roads. He also prefers riding the road less traveled. It was evident on this trip that hog riders didn't mind chatting with a dual sport rider.

Took back roads from Fredericksburg to Mannassas. Was getting a little nippy out so I took I-66 the rest of the way home.

Great trip!
End

donnymoto screwed with this post 11-30-2009 at 01:49 PM
Old 11-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlpilot
SRMN8R, that sounds like a fun time, riding the beach like that. What's your first favorite place?
Powhatan County, VA... Home Sweet Home. The only place I've ever wanted to live.

I lease a farm for waterfowl hunting about 14 miles east of Horne's. You can always count on them for a hot meal and relatively clean bathrooms.

Can't believe you're going to "de-pink" your plastics!

SRMN8R screwed with this post 11-12-2008 at 05:42 PM
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Dru
Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Hey! Great pics! Nice write-up! What camera are you using?
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
donnymoto OP
Beastly Adventurer

SRMN8R, wow that's pretty close to where I was riding. Thanks for the replies!

Dru, thanks! I use a Pentax Optio W30 for all the riding shots and lots of the others, and pull out a Canon XSi for the ones I want to get better resolution or wider angle shots like the sunsets with a Sigma 10-20 lens.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
motocav
toy addict

Oddometer: 41
Coleman Bridge

You were really close to where I grew up. That picture you took going over the bridge is only a couple miles from where I grew up. If you happened to look to the left as you were riding over the bridge there is an island called Mumfort Island. I lived right there on the water.

Great ride report by the way. I need to the OBX trip on the 919er. Haven't been down there in few years.

03 Honda 919
motocav is offline   Reply With Quote