Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
The rubber connecter for the carburetor is a good place to check also the shifter shaft seal.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #32
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,129
While we're talking rebuild

I picked up a 76 125 with 800 miles on it. Rode it about a 1/2 mile changed all the gears. Got it home, ride it 2 miles, it wheezed and died. i can let it sit and warm for 15 minutes with no issues, but riding it always kills it.

Well, the clutch was shattered, I guess from the original oil and 35 years of sitting. I also replaced both crank seals and cleaned the carb, which was pretty darn clean. But I still have the same issue with riding it. It goes about 2-3 miles boggs down sneezing, sometimes it backfires. Pulled the plug each time, its not getting fuel. But it won't start again until its cooled. I did note that while the carb cover was off and I was rotating the engine w/o a plug in it that the fuel air was spitting out the side of the carb. And every time I opened the carb cover its coated in fuel oil mixture.

It has to be a seal? but I am running out of ideas.

I am currently about to change the oring in the rotorary valve, and hope thats the culprit.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
frankttaylor
n00b

Oddometer: 3
F7 help

OK so I am jumping on here now :) A couple of weeks ago I bought 1972 F7. I know next to nothing about this bike. I have replaced the coil (old one was cracked and done) and cleaned the carb. Shot some ther in carb and it starts so that is a plus. I have a ton more questions about bike. I have gadgets on there and not sure what their functions are. can someone please help???
frankttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer

What do you mean by gadgets? Ad on's?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #35
cgk64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
F-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankttaylor View Post
OK so I am jumping on here now :) A couple of weeks ago I bought 1972 F7. I know next to nothing about this bike. I have replaced the coil (old one was cracked and done) and cleaned the carb. Shot some ther in carb and it starts so that is a plus. I have a ton more questions about bike. I have gadgets on there and not sure what their functions are. can someone please help???
I have a 71 f-7, let me know if you have questions about the bike.
cgk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
HudsonHawk77
n00b

Oddometer: 1
f7 trouble

hey all sorry for jumping on here, but thought all you f7 owners may be of some help. I have a '71 f7 that has been tough to get going, I had it going right after i installed the rebuilt carb, needed to squirt gas in the spark plug hole but got it started relatively easily, but after about 4 min it just died. Haven't been able to get it started since. during that initial start i had a ton of exhaust leaking out where the exhaust meets the engine, so i tightened that up, then realized that the exhaust may actually be plugged so loosened those bolts up and it sounds better like it want's to start again but still won't. I am not sure if i have the carb hooked up right tho as the previous owner must have tried to convert the petcock to manual, as the vacuum line going into the carb case is plugged. So I should then plug the vacuum line on the carb correct? just wondering if someone has a picture of a correct setup of the carb they could send me? also it seems to be flooding the carb really quickly, so not sure if the needle jet or something in the carb is plugged up already. I installed an inline fuel filter but not right away, so i'm sorry to say some crud from the fuel tank may have clogged up my nice new carb. Other than that i am thinking maybe an air leak, compression test is at 120psi with cold engine so adding the 5% to compensate makes it 126psi which i know is a bit low, but when gauge is attached it doesn't seem to drop at all so am i in the clear for a leak in the cylinder? maybe a loose connection on the carb holder? also the rubber cap on the carb is so hard to get on, not sure if mine is on far enough? I'll try to attach a photo.
last thing- carb is making a hissing sound when i am at zero throttle and push on the kicker, sounds like air is going out of the carb, what does this mean?

thanks so much and sorry for long message.
Attached Images

HudsonHawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:18 AM   #37
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Well, it sounds like you've got enough compression for it to run.

I don't remember the petcock setup, it must be vacuum operated. If the PO tried to convert it to manual it probably wasn't working so yes, I'd plug the vacuum line.

The carb flooding means your needle valve is almost certainly dirty or the float is not set at the right height.

The exhaust being plugged is a possibility. That happened to mine back in the day. It would start and run but was way down on power, it would top out around 35mph. I took it to a great independent mechanic who was able to cut the exhaust open, burn out the packing/ oil that was plugging it, and braze it back together.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #38
sjc56 OP
Beastly Adventurer

From the looks of that carb I would say it needs a good going through, There is a o ring on the main jet that goes away with age that will cause you problems.