ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
TinyBear OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Google Maps to gps??

Never owned a on bike GPS before so i have always used google maps to make my plans and such.

this summer i planed a trip to the east coast and spent a good amount of time setting it all up to plot out my stops and such on google maps as i always have.

Well today i picked up a Garmin Zumo 220.

And was wondering if their was an easy way to take all the work i did with google maps and put it into my garmin zumo 220?
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Seems like you cannot use Google maps in a gps directly. Although there are some ways around. I prefer google earth, you create a .kmz file in it, convert it into a .gpx, then loads it into your unit. The whole thing is here: http://www.turbolince.com/en/downloa...navigator.html
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Tinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
easy
go to google maps, create your map. save it to "my Maps"
once saved in "my Maps" on the right hand side clink the link tab and copy it.

then go HERE and paste it in.

I click to show it first. then download to gpx

good luck
:)

Ride em if you got em!

Tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 834
Great help !!!

One thing thou. I have a problem now. Because if I do this it has way to many waypoints and Garmin zumo will not accept it. How can I do that..
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Tinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
oh white route syndrome...

try this

I know, I know. you have always wanted a poni...

Gotta go take the wench for a ride on the pirate ship.

help this takes care of it for you.
: )

Ride em if you got em!

Tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
You can convert almost anything on this website, takes a little work sometimes but this is a great site for gps users

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=13

take gpx and load into mapdsource
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner
easy
go to google maps, create your map. save it to "my Maps"
once saved in "my Maps" on the right hand side clink the link tab and copy it.

then go HERE and paste it in.

I click to show it first. then download to gpx

good luck
:)
Perhaps I'm not following the directions right. I've never fully understood "My Maps" on Google Maps, despite my great like of Google Maps.

I go into Google Maps and make a route. I "save" that route to My Maps. I copy the link into the website you posted, and the GPX it gives me is essentially blank. If I try to load that GPX into Mapsource, nothing shows up. No route. No points. No tracks. I'm not quite sure why the route has to be saved to My Maps. I have a LINK button my the map whether I've saved it or not... What am I missing?

What I use to get a Google Map route into my GPS (which I do all the time) is use GMaptoGPX. http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

The first time or two I used GMaptoGPX, it seemed rather tedious, but now that I know how to do it, it's a few easy mouse clicks to get the route into my GPS.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
for Garmin brand GPS: BaseCamp? KML / KMZ file?

For Garmin brand GPS units ...Here's what I think I understand ...

BaseCamp is apparently Garmin's replacement for MapSource

In the specs. for BaseCamp it says it can import KML & KMZ files starting with V3.3.1

Google Maps can export a map to KML format if you first save the route to "My Maps" ...

Export as KML then import to BaseCamp and push down to the Garmin unit?

Does this make us good?

(I have Nuvi 500 if it matters)
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
For Garmin brand GPS units ...Here's what I think I understand ...

BaseCamp is apparently Garmin's replacement for MapSource

In the specs. for BaseCamp it says it can import KML & KMZ files starting with V3.3.1
I'm using BaseCamp v3.3.2 on a Mac and it does *not* allow importing KML file downloaded from Google Maps.

I ended up using GPS Visualizer to convert the KML file to GPX and imported that successfully into BaseCamp.

It turns a 3.9mi "route" into 41 points. This might be an issue for (much) longer routes.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I'm using BaseCamp v3.3.2 on a Mac and it does *not* allow importing KML file downloaded from Google Maps.

I ended up using GPS Visualizer to convert the KML file to GPX and imported that successfully into BaseCamp.

It turns a 3.9mi "route" into 41 points. This might be an issue for (much) longer routes.
Hmmmmmm KML import is listed as an enhancement to V3.3.1 for the Win-doze version, I wonder if they are on a different release cycle for the Macs?

At 10 points per mile ... yeah this turn to do-do quickly..................

I have MapSource loaded now, not clear to me if you can have both BaseCamp and MapSource installed on the same machine... I'll try to find out.............
Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer: 123
Sorry to bump this one up, but I'm having some issues.

I've made the map in Google, cut and paste the link to TakItWithMe, GPS Visualizer, and even tried GMapToGPX.

When I paste the link in those sites I see the route I have created in google maps. I use the Garmin POI loader to upload the .gpx file to the GPS.

Once loaded onto my GPS I open the file under Custom POIs but it calculates the fastest route, not my custom one.

What have I missed? Thanks in advance
riceaterslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know how this stuff works either, but in the interest of another thread bump if nothing else...

I would have thought you would need to "import" the custom route file first?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I've used this before to plan a route, but it looks like they've updated it since I've used it. Not sure if it's still as easy as it was.

Before I would simply put in a point for each turn I needed to make and then that created my route and I could send that to my GPS.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...ty_rideplanner

ETA: It does appear to be just as easy. Just enter each point on your route, then select GPS Sync in the top right and follow the directions.
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
There's two different things to think about when converting between GMaps (or KML) and routes. Garmin has both ROUTES and TRACKS. Routes are a series of waypoints (just like a track) but with a "start" and "end" along with some other metadata if your GPS supports it. They are specified in the XML file with different tags than tracks or KML lines. TomTom has the exact same thing, but they call routes "iteneraires" and use a different file format.

Basically, a route is a track with a defined start and end, plus extra data such as photos, elevation, geocache info, etc. To really see this in action, take a route in basecamp with multiple points and change the route calculation category of the route (from say Motorcycle to Biking or something). It'll show straight lines from point to point until you recalculate the route. This is how every Garmin sees a route, and you don't get the fancy turn by turn stuff or squiggly lines until the GPS (or Basecamp) calculates the route.

Google KML routes are just basic tracks, for all intents and purposes. Conversion programs see them as tracks, and when converting the KML track into a Garmin route just do a 1:1 change of each waypoint, then make the first waypoint a start and the last an end. This results in a route with globs and globs of waypoints, which chokes the GPS thinking that its a route and not a track (the GPS unit handles each differently). A Garmin GPX file with route-only data should be only a few kilobytes in size.

More advanced programs will let you limit the number of waypoints in the track>route conversion, but can split the route into several parts. Better apps will trim the excess midpoints and still keep the start/end points so you don't wind up with a mass of waypoints or multiple routes. Basecamp can do the same thing, though it's better to convert the KML file to a plain GPX tracks file, then use Basecamps native ability to convert a track to a route. There you can specify the maximum number of points to convert, which should then cull the excess.

For turn-by-turn Google->Garmin Routes where your Garmin has a valid turn-by-turn basemap, I've found the best way is to define your route in GMaps with waypoints or "shaping points" even if the route is going where you want. This helps to make sure your GPS navigates your intended route as it does all point-to-point calculations internally. Then, export the Google Map to KML, and use Tyre to calculate the route and convert the file to a Garmin route. Alternatively, you can use another webapp or program (GPSVisualiser, etc) to do as I mentioned above, and use Basecamp to convert from track to route. I try to stick to doing much processing in Basecamp as I can since it tailors to Garmin XML structures.

In offroad stuff, I'd rather just keep the raw track file and let the GPS follow the track. My 76CSx, for example, can take a plailn track file and turn it into a turn-by-turn route. Most GPS units support many more points in a track file than a route file. Basically, just convert the Google Maps KML file to a GPX file sticking to tracks.

Now, keep in mind that different bits of software might handle things differently, and how Google exports your KML file can affect things. If you use Google Maps to create an actual directions page (by the Get Directions and entering points/addresses) then export to KML before saving, it tends to save only the start, end, shaping, and waypoints. Once a Google Map is saved, the navigation instructions convert to a line, which is basically equal to a track.

It's been a while since I've actually done a conversion, and I don't know if I've ever done a saved Google Map export to Garmin route or not. Though I do have an upcoming conversion for next week, so I could do a screenshot tutorial if anyone wants.

DISCLAIMER: This all orients around Google Maps to Basecamp. Some other programs and webapps (such as what Wired mentioned) let you plot your route and do a direct conversion. These tend to work better than converting from a saved Google Maps file to a Garmin route file, though I haven't really played with them all that much. Nowadays I either just follow the raw track on the GPS, or do all my plotting in Basecamp since it's so much faster.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote