ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I'm using Google Maps directly on the bike, I replaced my Zumo 500 for a Samsung tablet. It is much better.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
There's two different things to think about when converting between GMaps (or KML) and routes. Garmin has both ROUTES and TRACKS. Routes are a series of waypoints (just like a track) but with a "start" and "end" along with some other metadata if your GPS supports it. They are specified in the XML file with different tags than tracks or KML lines. TomTom has the exact same thing, but they call routes "iteneraires" and use a different file format ...
Kyle:

Thanks for the awesome post!

I guess I need to download Basecamp and mess around with it... If I can do it all in Basecamp that would be fine!
I would hope that there is no conflict between having MapSource and Basecamp loaded on the same computer...
I'm about to find out .........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
I'm using Google Maps directly on the bike, I replaced my Zumo 500 for a Samsung tablet. It is much better.
I'm not sure this is a "legal" solution .... but I really like it ...........

How did you mount the Samsung tablet?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
I have a Google Nexus Tablet that should be coming in soon. $200, roughly equal to the iPad 2 and 3 in performance, built in GPS, 10 hour tested battery life, 7 inches, and readable in the sunlight. I already have a CoPilot license on Android along with some other GPS programs. It should fit nicely into my tank bag's map cover. Too bad my UClear only connects to one audio source at a time besides hands free :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Kyle:

Thanks for the awesome post!

I guess I need to download Basecamp and mess around with it... If I can do it all in Basecamp that would be fine!
I would hope that there is no conflict between having MapSource and Basecamp loaded on the same computer...
I'm about to find out .........
No problem. I fought with the route/track thing for a bit till I just opened up a GPX file in Notepad and realized the thing was just an XML file with Garmin's additional XML info added on for routes. Basecamp actually replaces MapSource, but it won't conflict if you have both installed at once. It does all the things MapSource did and more, plus it should work with all your older devices. Garmin's MapLoader and POILoader are still separate entities, but POI loading can be incorporated into Basecamp. I like creating a list for a trip containing all relevant routes, waypoints, POIs, and notes then just sending the list to the attached GPS unit. Keeps things organized.

I have a lifeproof case on my iPhone, which makes it waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof. Obviously all within reason, but it works very well on the motorcycle. Unfortunately, no program I've found offers a combination of importing routes/tracks along with turn-by-turn navigation. I can either get the GPX importing then look at the map to make sure I'm following the track right, or I can get the turn-by-turn but no importing. I use a 76CSx which is a bit of a compromise, allowing easy import of tracks and routes plus turn-by-turn navigation, but I loose the ability to hear spoken turns and prompts.

CoPilot lets you save routes in their own format and I've done some work on writing a program that'll convert between a Google KML file, a Garmin GPX file with route info, and CoPilot's proprietary format. It kinda sorta worked but needed debugging and I haven't invested any more time into the matter.

Oh, and as to some mounting options for tablets. Tank bags are usually easiest to work with. My Givi has a huge transparent map pocket on the top which is too small for an iPad, but should fit a 7" tablet fine (as mentioned above, I'm giving it a shot soon). RAM also makes a variety or mounts for tablets along with universal mounts. Though I'd imagine plopping anything bigger than a GPS unit on your average moto's handlebars would be a bit cumbersome. It doesn't mean it wouldn't fit nicely behind the windscreen or fairing, however, especially on a full touring bike.

Bit off topic, but for those interested, give the TomTom smartphone app a try. It has an option for curvy roads during navigation and offers three levels of "curviness." It's worked very well, and is great for going from Point A to B on the street and hitting curves without having to preplan a route first.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Kyle!

I'll download Basecamp and have a go with it!

I have the Nuvi 500 waterproof unit. I considered using my iPhone, but like you could not find software that worked...
Also, I think in many conditions on my bike at least the screen of the iPhone would not be bright enough...

Jim
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Thanks Kyle!

I'll download Basecamp and have a go with it!

I have the Nuvi 500 waterproof unit. I considered using my iPhone, but like you could not find software that worked...
Also, I think in many conditions on my bike at least the screen of the iPhone would not be bright enough...

Jim
I think it depends on the iPhone version as well as if you have any anti-glare screen protectors or what case you have on the phone, if any. Using a 4S with the lifeproof case and no screen protector (aside from the glossy front on the Lifeproof), it's usable to me in nearly all lighting conditions. Glare does get in the way from time to time, which makes me wish I could find a polarized visor. I don't like wearing glasses underneath my helmet, so for the moment stick with tinted visors during the day.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind is that while you can save a Google Map as a KML file, you can't really directly import it into Basecamp. Basecamp does support KML files, but support is kinda limited. If I have a saved Google Map I first save to KML, load the KML file in Tyre and preview/alter the waypoints as needed, then save as a GPX file. This resulting file will import directly into Basecamp as a route (via the waypoints) and as a track (the actual Google Maps line), plus all the waypoints. I usually delete the track for on-road riding and rely on the GPS unit to calculate the route using the route portion of the file.

You'll probably need to do some tweaking on more complex routes unless you convert the track to a route. Google's route calculation can vary GREATLY from Basecamp's route calculation, which can vary from your GPS's calculation. If you need as much accuracy as you can get, again either convert the track or preview the route in your intended GPS unit before the trip.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:

I have MapSource loaded now, not clear to me if you can have both BaseCamp and MapSource installed on the same machine... I'll try to find out.............
Yes, works fine with both loaded. I have both on an Asus Windows Netbook. They both read the same City Navigator Map files installed.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
cahoona7
Rider

Oddometer: 895
http://www.tyretotravel.com/
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
... You'll probably need to do some tweaking on more complex routes unless you convert the track to a route. Google's route calculation can vary GREATLY from Basecamp's route calculation, which can vary from your GPS's calculation. If you need as much accuracy as you can get, again either convert the track or preview the route in your intended GPS unit before the trip.
IS IT TRUE that matter HOW the route gets placed in the GPS, if the GPS does a re-calc if I you go off route - by missing a turn or whatever, you could end up with a route different from what you started with that would be constrained only by the waypoints ... and if they are far apart you are hosed?

I've loaded BaseCamp ... and to me at least ... sigh ... it is not nearly as clever or intuitive to use as I would like and the maps kinda suck compared to Google Maps...

The Google Maps (add tweaks/waypoints) --> Tyre --> BaseCamp (add MORE tweaks/waypoints)

seems a bit tedious...

Is the Harley Web App really pretty good ... and goes direct to GPS?
Are there any other web apps to look at?

Thanks!

Edit:
Ok I just messed around with the HD app... I have to say it works pretty darn well.
You can add waypoints to help keep you on track, and the interface is much like using google maps.
Only one issue that I have found:
I added some intermediate DESTINATIONS along with some waypoints, and when I exported the "single" route to the Garmin,
it came in with a separatate data file for each pair of destinations, so ... that's not good ... I was using destinations as they could be named,
where as it does not appear that the waypoints can be named ... but still it's pretty sweet...
When you export to a Garmin it

JRWooden screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 07:50 PM
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

HD Ride planner & a question

Ok ... I've messed around some more with the HD Ride planner I like it!
Map quality and interface is very much like Google maps.
Only "quirk" to my minds is that if you plan a trip with multiple destinations you get multiple routes.
All intermediate points need to be waypoints not destinations, but the interface makes it easy to change points from one to the other............

Related, but slightly off topic question if anyone knows the answer really quickly:

I think this may be a bug in BaseCamp ...
In the past when I would send a route to my GPS I would go to "My Data"
then select the route from "Import Route from File" function and import it.
Once it was imported it no longer showed up in the list of routes available to import from "My data" ...
Well that's not working any longer ... routes I have imported (or have decided I never want to import)
seem to be stuck in the my data folder..............
Is there a quick fix?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Ok ... I've messed around some more with the HD Ride planner I like it!
Map quality and interface is very much like Google maps.
Only "quirk" to my minds is that if you plan a trip with multiple destinations you get multiple routes.
All intermediate points need to be waypoints not destinations, but the interface makes it easy to change points from one to the other............

Related, but slightly off topic question if anyone knows the answer really quickly:

I think this may be a bug in BaseCamp ...
In the past when I would send a route to my GPS I would go to "My Data"
then select the route from "Import Route from File" function and import it.
Once it was imported it no longer showed up in the list of routes available to import from "My data" ...
Well that's not working any longer ... routes I have imported (or have decided I never want to import)
seem to be stuck in the my data folder..............
Is there a quick fix?

Thanks!
BaseCamp does not dictate how to send data to your Garmin GPS - the GPS makes that determination. BaseCamp only determines what model of GPS you have and sends data according to the specs for that model. If anything changed it is do to the software on your GPS or that you are sending data to the external storage card vs. internal storage.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
BaseCamp does not dictate how to send data to your Garmin GPS - the GPS makes that determination. BaseCamp only determines what model of GPS you have and sends data according to the specs for that model. If anything changed it is do to the software on your GPS or that you are sending data to the external storage card vs. internal storage.

Cheers,
Thanks Dan!
I have not chanced anything on my GPS hmmmmmmmmmmm ....
except that I recently downloaded the newest map set....
(no SD card ever installed) ...

I'm scratching my head, but going to ignore it till I get back from the trip I'm headed out in tormorrow...
I did find this thread on the Garmin forum that might lead me to believe that BC had something to do with it...
not sure... https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=25635
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
The nuvi's that still use MTP & USB mode tend to be a bit screwy compared to the newer USB devices. If you can't delete your temp.gpx file along with your current.gpx file before loading new data you will most likely continue to have the condition you describe.

I don't use Windows BaseCamp much and I don't have a nuvi 550 any more soooo, I'm out of my league on this one.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The nuvi's that still use MTP & USB mode tend to be a bit screwy compared to the newer USB devices. If you can't delete your temp.gpx file along with your current.gpx file before loading new data you will most likely continue to have the condition you describe.

I don't use Windows BaseCamp much and I don't have a nuvi 550 any more soooo, I'm out of my league on this one.

Cheers,
Thanks ... when I get back I'll try deleting the temp/current GPX files ...
I've got everything loaded for this trip and don't want to futz it up now!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
cormacpara
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Garmin Zumo 220 Baffled

So Ive recently acquired a 220 with a 2gb sdhc card that has the 2013 maps and it has 2010 installed.

I've tried every way possible to create a track on basecamp (using mac AND windows) and cannot for the life of me get it to upload it to the device. I've used the "send to device", I've dragged and dropped within basecamp AND dragged it on the folder from the root menu.

Any suggestions? I initially wanted to upload a google map but that seems impossible so I just want to create a simpler one and upload it! GRRRRR!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
cormacpara is offline   Reply With Quote