ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormacpara View Post
So Ive recently acquired a 220 with a 2gb sdhc card that has the 2013 maps and it has 2010 installed.

I've tried every way possible to create a track on basecamp (using mac AND windows) and cannot for the life of me get it to upload it to the device. I've used the "send to device", I've dragged and dropped within basecamp AND dragged it on the folder from the root menu.

Any suggestions? I initially wanted to upload a google map but that seems impossible so I just want to create a simpler one and upload it! GRRRRR!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Boy is this in the wrong place!

Not sure what your problems are since thousands of folks do those things every day. But, let's see if we can't get you headed in the right direction.

First, you don't want that µSD Card w/CNNA in the zumo(?) 220 as it will conflict with the factory installed CNNA. After you remove the µSD CNNA try attaching your zumo to your computer again. If you continue to have problems, try using JAVAWA GMTK to analyze your GPS to see if you have bad data on it.

If none of those things work for you I'd contact Garmin Product Support (by phone).

As for getting Google Maps route/waypoint data into your GPS, just create your Google map and export it to KML. Then open BaseCamp and Import that KML file. You now have your waypoints and the Google route (TRACK) in BaseCamp which can be transferred to your GPS (assuming the above works out).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #32
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,100
MSST solution.............. at least for me...

Here's how I've ended up:

MSST - Microsoft Streets and Trips the 2013 version is about $25 bucks on Amazon, and is pretty powerful... I have not mastered it yet, but for plotting routes it is pretty straight-forward....

MSST will export a route as a GPX file

Next you plug your Garmin GPS into computer and find the folder: X:\Garmin\GPX

Copy the exported GPX file to this folder
(no need to run it through any program to strip out extra data - at least in my experience...)

Then “safely remove” the GPS from computer,

then unplug the GPS’s USB cable and wait for reboot

Go to: Tools --> My data --> Import routes and then select it

have at it………….

It's been working well on my current trip!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote