Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Tracknod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
BMW Large Skidplate Install...

Hey All,

I know there has been some pictures of the newer BMW Large Skid Plate running around (part #77147724326 that list for $319 USD) and other new skidplates on the market from different vendors, but I haven't seen anything comparing the skid plates.

Well here you go...

First off, on my previous GSA I had a Twin Headlight Earnie Skidplate that served me well for 47k miles until I was hit head on by a hit and run drunk driver. It was actually one of the few parts that made it through the collision and I ended up putting that on my new GSA for a couple of months. It is a great product that uses the stock bolts and mounts up easily. Here is a picture of it:

As you can see... I have the stock mounting brackets for an '09 GSA there.

Now what impressed me the most, and why i purchased the new BMW mount is the new mounting brackets. You have to replace all of the stock brackets with these:

That is a great deal more than the stock brackets:

This new bracket system attaches to the skidplate like this:

That being said, here is a comparison of the Earnie,Large BMW, and stock skid plates:

As you can see, the Earnie's plate covers a touch more on the backside, but this doesn't matter much as the Large BMW plate actually follows the lines of the pipes perfectly.

Once you get started following the 40 page thick installation manual, the first thing you have to do is install the clips on the brackets. If I would have opened them before I installed them, I would have powdercoated these as well. But, I didn't.. so here is what the clips look like:

The front bracket attaches similar to the old bracket with a large allen head screw thorugh the engine block, but it has one other attachment point. I might add that you get a complete set of new hardware with the kit, so you reuse nothing.

Here is where the front attaches:

And here is the second screw mounting point:

After you get the front bracket attached it is time to work on the middle bracket. It attaches through the same mounting holes as well, but actually moves the plate mounting points back a couple of inches.

Once this is tightened down, you now take the rubber bumper/dampner that came with the kit...

and push it up onto the engine block.

This is quite a bit more dampening than the stock plate has as you can see. Once you have this in place you can now put the heavy duty grommets and sleeves in the bash plate. In this picture you can see one of the sleeves. Disregard the fingerprints as those grommets were a pain to get seated..

Once this is completed, you basically just screw the bash plate on like normal so it will look like this picture of the rear mount attached.

Now if you are anything like me you are saying to yourself... Self.. this is freaking going soooooooo easy. Well... let me introduce you to the rear bracket.

Well this looks like it is going to be easy. Yeah, maybe if I had hands the size of a fetal chimp maybe. That bracket attaches by two rubber covered pipe brackets that go around a piece of the bikes frame that is BELOW your swingarm. (I never new that frame support was even there before.) This seems all well and good until you realize there is just just the smallest fraction of space for the rubbers doohickeys to fit, and then even less room for your tools. But after much fretting... here is what the rear bracket looks like attached:

You can see how far back the bash plate covers. So much so, that I had to do some creative cutting on my center stand bash plate to make it fit.

But now, it works, and works well... and the Bash plate covers a bit more area now.

So, now you know what the BMW Large Skid Plate looks like and how it is installed. Other vendors seem to make a similar copy of the plate, but they use the same stock mounting hardware and you can see, this kit beefs that up considerably. I am not saying theirs is not good, but just letting everyone know what their choices are, especially considering the BMW plate is made from the same 4mm aluminum and can be had cheaper if you know how to USE A PHONE to call a dealer that gives you a 20% discount and will have it delivered in less than a week.

HTH's

Bikes in the garage:

'09 BMW 1200 GSA
"Blü Oni"
'03 Honda VTX Bored, chopped, raked, and fat "Hassen "
'02 BMW 1150 GSA "Red Wooster"
'85 Honda CBR 900 Cafe'd For Sale
'83 Suzuki GS450 Bobber "HydroStream"
'70 BMW 75/5 Cafe'd "She Devil"
'38 BMW R71 Hack Jackie Chan Edition "Slow Boat"

Tracknod screwed with this post 05-22-2010 at 06:36 PM
Tracknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
GESII
Gerry with a G

Oddometer: 105
Thumb BMW Skidplate

Great info and detailed photos!

Gerry
GESII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,183
well done! it's right ups like this that keep this forum so great!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,292
I like it.

BMW is know for watching the aftermarket market and then coming up with their version.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
Looks to me like that large rubber block would be very effective in spreading the forces of a hard hit across much of the engine, thus greatly reducing the possibility of cracking the engine case. I don't see an aftermarket guard that even comes close to this new BMW one.

I'm actually sceptical of almost all guard bars and cages as most look to me like all they will do is leverage and concentrate forces at the bolt on location. This one I like.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Very nice pictorial. I have an Ernie bash plate also. If the large rubber damper was available separately, do you think the Ernie plate would still go on with the damper in place?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,292
It does not look like you can get the rubber piece separately...

Burnszilla screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 12:04 PM
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Tracknod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP
Very nice pictorial. I have an Ernie bash plate also. If the large rubber damper was available separately, do you think the Ernie plate would still go on with the damper in place?
Honestly, without a great deal of creative cutting and the use of spacers and longer bolts I don't think it would work. The BMW plate does sit about 1/4" lower than the Earnies plate.

That being said, I'll get the part number off of the dampner later as I had this initial thought as well when I saw there was a part number on the side of it.

Bikes in the garage:

'09 BMW 1200 GSA
"Blü Oni"
Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Tracknod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP
Well here is the part number off of the dampner's side but like Burnzilla stated, it doesnt look like it is available separately. Maybe a good parts guy will know???

Numbers on the Rubber block:

71607711677 01
158724 10

One thing I failed to note is about the plates grommets. These are a little larger than a quarter made out of the same hard rubber the dampener is then a sleeve is added. I think this will act as another buffer in case of hitting something the plate will deflect in this area as well, instead of just mounting an aluminum plate straight to the engine block. Does that make sense??? LOL

HTH

Bikes in the garage:

'09 BMW 1200 GSA
"Blü Oni"

Tracknod screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 10:11 AM
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Were the grommets and sleeves included in your mounting hardware or did you come up with those on your own? My kit did not include them.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Tracknod OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOEXOTICA
Were the grommets and sleeves included in your mounting hardware or did you come up with those on your own? My kit did not include them.
Yeah, they were included as well as all new hardware. From what I have come to learn, BMW has changed the part number for the skidplate a couple of times in the last year. If you didn't have grommets, how did you mount the plate. On my plate, the front holes are big enough to put a nickle through if they aren't there.

Bikes in the garage:

'09 BMW 1200 GSA
"Blü Oni"
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracknod
Yeah, they were included as well as all new hardware. From what I have come to learn, BMW has changed the part number for the skidplate a couple of times in the last year. If you didn't have grommets, how did you mount the plate. On my plate, the front holes are big enough to put a nickle through if they aren't there.
I received and installed mine in April. No grommets for me either. The holes were the perfect size for the bolts. And, mine is not black. But, beyond that, they are the same.

Awesome bit of kit.

D
Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Putting the rear mount on is easier if you have the bike on the ground and someone hold it upright.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Thanks Tracknod for help. I will try to dig into this and pass on if anythings comes up.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 439
I finally got around to buying one of these. I think it'll be good insurance as my stocker was surprisingly beat up when I took it off. At any rate, like Tracknod says, the install went really easy until the the rear mounts. The right side was totally manageable with my huge hands, but the left side (kickstand and paralever side) was a challenge. With the suspension unloaded there was not enough room between the crossbar and the paralever housing to work the rubberized clamp in place. To solve that I ran a tie down through the rear hub "hole" and up to the frame on both sides and compressed the suspension. Clearance issue solved. This may seem fairly obvious but it might help someone else.

One other note- the nuts in the kit have one side deformed to serve as a locking mechanism. Be sure to start the nuts from the free running side to avoid cross-threading issues.

Overall, I'm real happy with it. I chose the BMW unit due to the rubber dampening piece and it's impressive. My only complaint with the whole unit is that the forward bolts on mine stick slightly proud of the plate due to the grommet and bushing thickness. One good rock hit and the torx head will be destroyed and that'll make removal difficult. Especially since it's a button head screw. It'll have to be drilled and replaced. It could have been avoided by a shorter bushing and deeper dimple in the plate. Overall, a minor nit, but if I were going RTW, I'd come up with a better solution.

Thanks to Tracknod for the pictorial.