Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
MotorradMike OP
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 1,001
Gas/Diesel mix

Hi guys:

A friend of mine put diesel in his bike by mistake and now has about 5 Gal. of greenish mixed fuel.
I've heard of people putting small amounts of gas in diesel trucks so they start better.

Any ideas on how to use it up or is it best just to take it to toxic waste?

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
Weed killer , 5% or less fuel mixing might not cause problums , anything more either way wont be good . Treet it like wast oil and dispose of it . Or if you can store it and need it use it for parts cleaning . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Many deisels can tolerate as little petrol (gas ) in the mix, some manufacturers even recommend it for cold weather, donate it to a diesel driver
Stewart
Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagiva549
Weed killer , 5% or less fuel mixing might not cause problums , anything more either way wont be good . Treet it like wast oil and dispose of it . Or if you can store it and need it use it for parts cleaning . SEYA
Note that some places would be very unhappy to find you putting that much gasoline in their plain-ol waste oil bin without telling them; at least, our free motor oil drop place has a big sign telling us what mixtures are acceptable and what aren't, and gasoline is on the unacceptable side.

IMO, the easiest thing is to put small amounts of it into a large volume of regular gasoline or diesel and let it act as 'upper cylinder lube', or 'valve guide lube' or whatever it is that those magic syrups claim to do when added to a tank of gas. Remember, 1 gal in a 20 gal tank is 5%, as per cagiva549's post.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 730
A little gas in diesel would probably do ok but a little diesel in gas will cause horrible pinging. When I was a lot younger somebody convinced me to try it to clean up a old 440 engine. It pinged bad.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,712
As the owner of a diesel engined car I would NEVER put gas in the fuel tank nor would I ever accept diesel fuel mixed with gasoline. IMO, you're asking for big trouble if you plan to run mixed fuel thru a diesel engine. As for winter, there are other (much better) options. YMMV.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638
As the owner of a diesel engined car I would NEVER put gas in the fuel tank nor would I ever accept diesel fuel mixed with gasoline. IMO, you're asking for big trouble if you plan to run mixed fuel thru a diesel engine. As for winter, there are other (much better) options. YMMV.
I remember working on a boat once (100 ton schooner, with a Detroit 6v71 for motoring) where the captain was fond of using paint thinner as a starting fluid in the engine or for priming the fuel lines after filter replacement. While the engine appeared to show no ill effects, I was never comfortable with the practice. Unfortunately it proved to be impossible to keep any spare diesel onboard, since the small containers would never be refilled. Luckily we only needed to reprime the fuel lines two or three times that year.

I agree that running the mixture through any engine (gas or diesel) which one cared too much about would not be a good idea. That said, if you dilute it sufficiently and run it through something in a low state of tune, I suspect it won't cause any problems.

Either way, the point to the OP is this: if the hazardous waste people in your area will take it for free, do that; if you've got handy some, simple, low state-of-tune engines which you use large quantities of fuel in, dilution and combustion is probably easier. If you burn lots of brush or use a burn barrel, 5 gal goes pretty quickly.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,341
The answer to this question depends on how much diesel and what kind of bike. I've experienced a 1/2 diesel 1/2 gas mix in a passenger car and it ran poorly and pinged at full throtte, but it ran well enough to get me where I'm going and after filling the car again with pure gasoline at 1/2 tank (so what remained was 1/4 diesel), the car ran fine (and ran fine for 150K+ further miles). But this is an older, low-performance carb'ed car, not a modern one with FI.

If it were my bike and the diesel were 10% or less, I'd go ahead and run it, but keep out of the throttle and keep refueling it to dilute the diesel as quickly as possible. I doubt it will harm the carb or FI system.

A higher percentage of diesel? I'd drain it, dilute it further, and run it in the lawnmower, playbike, old car, etc.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,239
OK he mixed diesel in with the gas, how does it run now? (or that should be, how bad does it smoke right now?)

If it doesn't smoke, then you are just good to go as-is, but if it is smoking then I'd drain it all out and mix 1/2 galloin or so with each full tank and he should be OK. If it still sputters or smokes then don't add as much next time.

Also, as mentioned you may get rough running if you are aggressive on the throttle, so just be a bit laid back until all the gas can get run through it.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
No one else is going to say it? OK

Just pump it out and dump it in the Gulf of Mexico. No one will know.

My wife once filled her diesel car with gas (half tank diesel, half gas), I drained it out and burned it in the fire pit. Took a loooooong time to burn it all.
So, I would say dump and refill with what is supposed to be in there.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Donate the contaminated fuel mix to someone with an old military multi-fuel engine.
look on steel soldiers dot com.
probably be a couple locals nearby who can put that particular hydrocarbon blend to good use.
Full Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Use it as parts cleaner.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
MotorradMike OP
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove
Just pump it out and dump it in the Gulf of Mexico. No one will know.
I wonder if you could be charged for that, now?

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Pre-TDI VW diesels allowed up to 15% gasoline in the diesel for easier starts in winter per the manual. Not sure on the newer ones, they fuel pumps and injectors on them are a lot less tolerant of changes in fuel viscosity.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
wrigh003
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The yellowjackets will be making a nuisance of themselves later this summer, just like every other summer. I have a jug of old 2-stroke premix for the dirtbike I no longer have, pour a couple cups in the nest (at night!) and they won't be such a problem.
wrigh003 is offline   Reply With Quote