Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #151
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
So, what are the chances that my TV will still work (if it ever gets here), now that it's been stuck on a truck in -20* weather for the last week?
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #152
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
David, I almost got a G25 - they look really nice but settled on the much-cheaper S2 version. Its also non-reflective and all that, just slightly less contrast and doesn't have all the gadgets (wifi, pre-set THX certified calibration etc). I'm not ultra-picky, but the 50" S2 looks fantastic to my eyes and was <$700 before Christmas. I've got a ps3 and stuff hooked up that takes care of wifi and all that so the gadgets in the G25 would have been wasted on me. if you are ultra-picky or could use the various gadgets of the G25 I think it'd be a great choice. If you just want a no-frills TV with a good picture the S2 does nicely for less $$$.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #153
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug View Post
So, what are the chances that my TV will still work (if it ever gets here), now that it's been stuck on a truck in -20* weather for the last week?
It should be fine, the L in LCD isn't water. I'll put it this way, my GPS in my Range Rover doesn't freeze up even at 24 below zero outside...was that what you were worried about?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #154
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen View Post
Hey Sniper! What are your thoughts on the Panasonic G25 Plasmas? Looking at them today, they have a very nice picture, and non-reflective screen which is nice (I think), but at 50". they are approximatley 50% more than the other Panasonic plasmas that I looked at. The sales weenie said this was because the G25 had a better processor, and a much higher contrast ratio.
give me the whole model number, but if you are talking about what they call the Premium series, then yes, they are better than the standard consumer ones. I think the contrast ratio on them is in the 3 million to 1 range.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #155
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
It should be fine, the L in LCD isn't water. I'll put it this way, my GPS in my Range Rover doesn't freeze up even at 24 below zero outside...was that what you were worried about?
Well, it's a relief to know that there isn't any water in it!

I didn't know if the cold would be a problem or not, glad to know it's not. Now, I just hope the delivery driver has been kind to it and not been throwing it around!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #156
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

I didn't know if the cold would be a problem or not, glad to know it's not. Now, I just hope the delivery driver has been kind to it and not been throwing it around!
yep, it should be fine, it BETTER not be effected by cold, that would cut out sales of LCD to millions of homes! I worri9ed about the same thing when I got my GPS for my range rover, use to take it out every night when I knew it was getting below freezing, but I forgot one night and it got to 10 below and it fired right up the next morning....
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #157
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
yep, it should be fine, it BETTER not be effected by cold, that would cut out sales of LCD to millions of homes! I worri9ed about the same thing when I got my GPS for my range rover, use to take it out every night when I knew it was getting below freezing, but I forgot one night and it got to 10 below and it fired right up the next morning....
Awesome!

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let ya know what I think of the TV, once I get it and get a chance to watch it!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #158
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Awesome!

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let ya know what I think of the TV, once I get it and get a chance to watch it!
As I look deeply into my Chrystal ball, I predict......Bonnie sees picture on the new TV for the first time and high fives HERSELF!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #159
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

AND of course, lets out some sort of woohoo sound or other.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #160
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
As I look deeply into my Chrystal ball, I predict......Bonnie sees picture on the new TV for the first time and high fives HERSELF!
Quote:
AND of course, lets out some sort of woohoo sound or other.
I'll have Duke take a video!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #161
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,925
Quote:

Tell Duke to not "accidently" pour water in it.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #162
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
give me the whole model number, but if you are talking about what they call the Premium series, then yes, they are better than the standard consumer ones. I think the contrast ratio on them is in the 3 million to 1 range.
This is the "G25" that I first asked about: https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...0_54g20_25.asp

This is the "S" series that was also mentioned: https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...42_46_50S2.asp

I have an XBox 360 connected to the TV that I use for streaming media, Netflix etc, so bunches of network options are really not that important at all.

The S series TVs are much cheaper than the G series, if we went that route, a 54" TV would be plausible. The 54" G TV is $2K!

The G series TVs quote a contrast ratio of 5M:1 while the S series are 2M:1, I don't know what the practical benefit of that is to me though! Kids do lots of gaming on the TV, I watch racing, otherwise pretty standard fare. We are replacing a 47" Panasonic rear projection TV that does High Def, but it seems to be getting dimmer and less sharp over time. I think it's at least 10 years old though....
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #163
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Tell Duke to not "accidently" pour water in it.
Oh, I think he knows better!

My employee called and said it was delivered just a bit ago , so Duke is gonna bring it home with him in a little while. I'm cleaning off the tv stand and sorting through all the cords and wires and crap that were a rats nest behind it.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can figure this new fangled thing out!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #164
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,925
Quote:
Oh, I think he knows better!

My employee called and said it was delivered just a bit ago , so Duke is gonna bring it home with him in a little while. I'm cleaning off the tv stand and sorting through all the cords and wires and crap that were a rats nest behind it.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can figure this new fangled thing out!

In my modest experience, the new stuff is a lot easier to figure out than the older stuff. Good luck.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #165
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Here's the run down on what you'll NOTICE different in those two monitors.

On the G25 version, since the contrast ratio is so much higher, the blacks will be way smoother in the picturee in that you won't see gradations or ribbons of black hardly at all which is predominent in the digital picture. They are almost gone. On the other monitor, they will be diminished from the previous models, but not almost totally gone like on the G25. This also has to do with the gradations of gfey which is higher on the G25 too, so is the colour gamut, it is true HD on the G25 and like a billion collours on the S.

All round a better monitor the G25.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: