Oddometer: 6,735
It is awesome!

Even without the bong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post
Ahem, post 368

for you lazy feckers
http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showth...-Issues-Thread

You'll need to register to see the pages, it's easy, trust me.

The other night I was slouched down on the couch watching a Pink Floyd DVD, in the dark and cranked up loud, the wife came downstairs, laughed and said "so, ya want me to get your bong for you?"

I responded (without moving) "this TV is fucking awesome" I can't wait to see a blu ray in 3D.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #392
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
70" here
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #393
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Stupid question. How are video games on the newer plasmas? Is there still a threat of burn in?
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #394
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

OK, so here is a crappy paste up of what I'm going to attempt for the installation of my TV over the fireplace.

I have a swing/tilt/extend mount that I plan on recessing into the wall a bit. Part of the reason for that is because I have to cut into the wall and add horizontal support from the studs that run down either side of the fireplace. There is one stud down the center, but that won't work with the mount.
There are a few advantages to this approach:
1. Big tough support structure can be added.
2. Routing power and A/V cables with be easier, and I can add a wall plate for the hook ups. And I'll drop Cat 5 in for the net and maybe run HDMI in CAT5 too. Not sure on all that yet I'm still playing the options.

I may end up running the back speakers, (surround) wired through the ceiling. The room layout of course isn't perfect, but since I'm hearing impaired sound accuracy is not real high on the agenda.
Smugmug
Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #395
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,143
bump
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #396
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Stupid question. How are video games on the newer plasmas? Is there still a threat of burn in?
Maybe the question is answered, but I have a Panasonic plasma, 50 inch, whatever model is below Panasonic's then top of the line Kuru Class Plasma's. I have had it for about 4 years now, and with all the CoD playing I do I have absolutely no burn in. You can kinda see an image of static items when you turn the game off, but if you watch normal TV for like 2 minutes it all goes away. So, for my plasma at least, I am not worried about burn-in at all.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #397
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 602
ST-30 no longer availalable in 42"?

I'm limited to 42" due to a high mantle and a low ceiling. But when I search for the ST30 I can't find it that small. I was hoping to find a Panasonic plasma after reading such good things on this thread and also the "So I had to stop by the big box LCD store..." thread.

I dont need 3D, but wifi would be nice (netflix)
Sniper X -- what would you suggest in 42" plasma

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #398
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

We no longer use the wifi capability of our Panasonic ST30. I got an Apple TV puck and have been completely satisfied with it.
The puck was $100, and allows me to stream music from my cloud supply, as well as netflix and the rest. Vimeo in HD is killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I'm limited to 42" due to a high mantle and a low ceiling. But when I search for the ST30 I can't find it that small. I was hoping to find a Panasonic plasma after reading such good things on this thread and also the "So I had to stop by the big box LCD store..." thread.

I dont need 3D, but wifi would be nice (netflix)
Sniper X -- what would you suggest in 42" plasma
Smugmug
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #399
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,727
Repair guy was here today fixing my Pany ST30, it developed a buzz in the upper left side, it turns out it was a "loose screw", fairly common as I found online, the tech already had a "screw kit" and replaced about a dozen or so then snugged up all the rest. Good as new and covered under warranty.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #400
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,754
We refinished our downstairs to make it "teen friendly" so the living room LCD went down there. Naturally I took this as an opportunity to buy something bigger for upstairs.

I tried 3 TVs, a Vizio e500i-A1, LG something and a Samsung UN50ES6900 50". My old Vizio is awesome...the new one...not even good, really...I was very disappointed.

The LG was OK, but the "smart" functionality isn't really ready for prime time and I didn't like the chrome-ish trim.

I ended up keeping (for now) the Samsung 50", but I'm not in love with the colors, etc. Blues seem really hot sometimes and often highlights on blacks look blue-ish. I've tried using some of the calibration settings posted online, but they're really not great to my eye.

Is it worth trying to find a calibration disc, buying or borrowing a BluRay player (I don't own one) and calibrating it or should I just keep playing around with the settings as we watch different shows?

I found the free to download AVS calibration disc and would try that one if it's considered to be a good choice.

Anyone here have a disc they'd loan or sell? Do you have to use a BluRay player to calibrate?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #401
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

After too much business travel, I finally got enough ahead on other things at home to get back at the home theater project.

I moved the screen to over the fireplace and the electronics to the "wine cellar" behind it. The otherwise known as the under the stairs cave.

It turned out pretty good. The install cost me less than $100. Not including the mount. Or my two weeks of working after work and three and a half days of two weekends.

I'm beat.

This is where I began:

I added a Harmony remote controlled through wifi by my iPad, or an iPhone.

At this point I'm pretty committed to the demo and remodel,

The center mount goes in,

Boxed in with 4mm panel,

Then trimmed and painted,

I tried the center speaker on the mantel and decided I didn't like it. The sound seems much better from up top.

I need to try streaming MotoGP now to see how I like that.
I stream off the iPad through the Apple TV. The Harmony app works pretty well. I can screw around with the theater sound using the Panasonic screen remote swapping to the Theater control with the Veria Link feature.
The Smart part of the TV wifi's easily. I have not had a chance to test the Skype since moving things. And I still need to set up the women's Wii and finish the gear cabinet inside the wine cave.
I even replaced the speaker cloth on the old 50's Motorola TV cabinet that houses the sub woofer in it's base. The upper part holds board games. Rear speaker wiring runs under the carpet, as does the sub woofer wire. I used a flat Monster cable I'd had for several years and forgotten about.
The room is now huge without that giant cabinet supporting the TV.
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: