Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #31
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
Sure, let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #32
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Does anyone have more info on Panasonic models (or other vendors) TVs that can record to hard drives? Does the TV work as an OTA DVR? Does the TV have to be left on to accomplish this?

Quote:
In addition to compiling terrestrial HDTV footage on a standard external hard drive, the Panasonic Viera G3 and X3 can record to a new SD card slot as well, archiving up to five hours of 1080p footage on a 'standard' 64GB SDXC card.
Source

Quote:
USB HDD Recording lets you easily record onto an external USB HDD. Simply connect a cable between VIERA's USB terminal and the USB terminal of the USB HDD. Recordings can be easily controlled using VIERA's remote control. You can record your favourite TV series, films and other content on to the USB HDD. Rewind Live TV lets you to rewind a live TV programme to catch the scenes you want to see, so you won't miss the important moments.You can also register up to eight external USB HDDs, to create a personal library for each member of the family.
Source
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #33
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29 View Post
Does anyone have more info on Panasonic models (or other vendors) TVs that can record to hard drives? Does the TV work as an OTA DVR? Does the TV have to be left on to accomplish this?

Source

Source
Havce you priced an SDXC64g card? It would be cheaper to buy a nice DVD recorder or get a HDDVR added to your service.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Havce you priced an SDXC64g card? It would be cheaper to buy a nice DVD recorder or get a HDDVR added to your service.
I'm not interested in using the SDXC cards, but an external USB drive. I just read that article the other day and it did not give any details. I'd like to find a useable OTA DVR that could handle HD content. I've see the Channel Master DVR listed, but the original Dish version seemed to have a lot of issues.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #35
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
[QUOTE=motoracer51;14729188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post

No.

You can get a new, 50" Panny plasma that will blow that tv out of the water picture wise for $500.

Not worth the trouble fixing it when you can get newer technology for about the same. 1 board could cost $500 - heck, the panel could be toast.
Are the 50" Panny Plasmas down to $500? I bought an X1, 720p last year, that was $720 at Sears. I've seen some around $600 or so, but not in the $500 range. And even at 720, it's a great picture. The only time I can see any degradation of the picture is when I go to "zoom" on the format. That makes it a little grainy.

The hardest thing about buying a flat screen is the stores don't have 1080i sources for the display sets. It's 720 at Best Buy, even in the Magnolia room where they keep the high dollar stuff.

So you're looking at it, and you don't see any difference between the 1080 and 720. Seems a real stupid way to try and upsell the 1080i.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #36
cloudfly
Banned

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete™ View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...4660196&sr=1-3

Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P50G10 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

by Panasonic
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (129 customer reviews)
129 Reviews

5 star: (95)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (3)
2 star: (3)
1 star: (7)

› See all 129 customer reviews...

List Price:$1,599.95
Price:$1,139.88
Good price.
cloudfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #37
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
600 range or way better. In a 42 get the best you can which wil be in the 600 dollar range. Get a 240hz LED tv or a plasma.
Planning on buying a new TV after Christmas. How much for a commercial Panasonic plasma-at least a 42", maybe bigger?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #38
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29 View Post
I'm not interested in using the SDXC cards, but an external USB drive. I just read that article the other day and it did not give any details. I'd like to find a useable OTA DVR that could handle HD content. I've see the Channel Master DVR listed, but the original Dish version seemed to have a lot of issues.
I don't think you can record to a dummy USB drive because there is no way to control it. Usually, for video content recording, a drive must have a raid array to be able to record content from a video source. I don't know what they are putting in consumer sets these days, but a raid controller is probably not one of them!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #39
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Planning on buying a new TV after Christmas. How much for a commercial Panasonic plasma-at least a 42", maybe bigger?
42 1080P version is running about $1500.00, 1080P version of the 50 is at $$2000.00 not including speakers, mount or shipping. The 720 P versions are way cheaper and since all content that is transmitted in any way is 720 they are fine. they even look stellar on a BRDVD even though it can send 1080p content.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #40
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

This is the best bang for the buck in consumer class world...Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P50G10 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #41
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
This is the best bang for the buck in consumer class world...Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P50G10 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV
Simple question, why? What are you going to see than a lesser unit.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #42
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
Simple question, why? What are you going to see than a lesser unit.
Well, if one was to compare it to an LCD or LED LCD, then the answer would be in short because it is a plasma and plasma was DESIGNED to show motion, and LCD wasn't. There are rants infinitum from me and technical data on the site about this. Basically in long it is because the contrast ratio, and the fact it runs at 600hz normally, is the real reason to buy plasma over a LCD or LED LCD. Other than that it is 1080p native and bright and has a great picture qulaity and way better blacks since LCD can not make black......

Remember, a LCD or LED LCD is a LIGHT transmitting DEVICE, a plasma is a light EMMITTING device. Also, as said, plasma works constantly at 600hz and is ALWAYS 1080p HD, a LCD LED LCD is almost NEVER 1080p, only when it is showing NO motion, if any motion is present, it drops resolution when fast motion is present, it drops to under STANDARD DEF resolution. Even if they overclock them to 120 or 240hz, there are still motion artifacts, and that is like a fake Rolex, nice but not RIGHT.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #43
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Thanks, think that's what we'll get. Now, where to buy it?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #44
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Thanks, think that's what we'll get. Now, where to buy it?
cheapest place locally so you have support, which you don't buying online. Plus it supports local eco.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #45
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Just got a Panasonic Veria 42 inch plasma 720p. $539 out the door. Very happy with it, perfect fit for my little house, cabin for you city folk.

Reading all of SinperX's posts on the subject helped me make the choice, definitely not the sales guys at the stores.
rollinrob is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: