Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #61
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Took a ride to local Costco. The plasma sets didn't look so good next to the LCDs--except for one huge one, which looked great even when only 5' away. They had a Pana 65" demo set, a TC65PS14, booklet (no box) says it's 1080p. Last one they had, no more incoming-so they said.

List price $2,000, got it for $1800. Do I keep it or not?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #62
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Took a ride to local Costco. The plasma sets didn't look so good next to the LCDs--except for one huge one, which looked great even when only 5' away. They had a Pana 65" demo set, a TC65PS14, booklet (no box) says it's 1080p. Last one they had, no more incoming-so they said.

List price $2,000, got it for $1800. Do I keep it or not?
That is a GOOD price for that TV but ask if it has full factory warranty. SOme demo sets don't.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #63
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Thanks--there goes the budget! In that big a size, it'll have to be plasma. Good thing I watch very little TV, and we all know my wife has very low standards---.
Just wait till ya watch a BRDVD on a real 1080p plasma....it'll freak you out at first.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #64
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Just wait till ya watch a BRDVD on a real 1080p plasma....it'll freak you out at first.
So is this TC-65PS14 a "real 1080P" or not?

Now to buy a GOOD BR-DVD player. Panasonic? I want to get a unit that can handle a consumer-grade laser-burned reg. DVD, since I recently discovered the laser-burned pits aren't as easy to read as the commercial pressed pits.

Benesesso screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 10:32 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #65
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
So is this TC-65PS14 a "real 1080P" or not?
Yes, this is right off the spec sheet.

Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 2,073,600 (1,920 x 1,080)
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #66
silverbandit1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
So Sniper what do you think of this Vizio from Costco - $649.99

VIZIO’s E470VL 47” LCD HDTV delivers full 1080p HD picture quality and superior audio quality at an amazing value. This flat screen LCD HDTV features 120Hz refresh rate, SRS TruVolume™ and SRS TruSurround HD™ audio for advanced virtual surround sound, 100,000 to 1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and three HDMI ports to connect up to three HDMI devices to your TV. The E470VL also exceeds Energy Star™ 4.0 guidelines to reduce energy consumption and utilizes built-in ambient light sensing technology, which automatically adjusts backlight levels to the brightness of its surroundings.

I have a 15yr old Mitsubishi which has been perfectly fine for my viewing tastes, so I am not looking for anything really expensive.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to think "profiling" is worse than the slaughter of innocent people.... In memoriam, 9-11-01
-B.Tinsley-
silverbandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #67
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbandit1 View Post

VIZIO’s E470VL 47” LCD HDTV delivers full 1080p HD picture quality and superior audio quality at an amazing value. This flat screen LCD HDTV features 120Hz refresh rate, SRS TruVolume™ and SRS TruSurround HD™ audio for advanced virtual surround sound, 100,000 to 1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and three HDMI ports to connect up to three HDMI devices to your TV. The E470VL also exceeds Energy Star™ 4.0 guidelines to reduce energy consumption and utilizes built-in ambient light sensing technology, which automatically adjusts backlight levels to the brightness of its surroundings.

I have a 15yr old Mitsubishi which has been perfectly fine for my viewing tastes, so I am not looking for anything really expensive.
I can't tell unless I had a look at it. LCD is not like plasma in the sense that SOME have a GREAT processor, some are shitty. One has to actually look at the picture with a deceserning eye and evaluate it under many parameters before pronouncing it good. Go look at it, watch fast motion on it and watch it off axis up,down,side to side and see how the picture looks. If good then buy it. BTW for the MOST part, specs on an LCD LEDLCD don't mean shit.....impossible to tell the difference on paper between LCD offerings.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #68
silverbandit1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
I can't tell unless I had a look at it. LCD is not like plasma in the sense that SOME have a GREAT processor, some are shitty. One has to actually look at the picture with a deceserning eye and evaluate it under many parameters before pronouncing it good. Go look at it, watch fast motion on it and watch it off axis up,down,side to side and see how the picture looks. If good then buy it. BTW for the MOST part, specs on an LCD LEDLCD don't mean shit.....impossible to tell the difference on paper between LCD offerings.
Thanks

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to think "profiling" is worse than the slaughter of innocent people.... In memoriam, 9-11-01
-B.Tinsley-
silverbandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #69
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got it set up today. Didn't realize how much we have been missing! This TV ROCKS. I owe you big! Don't have a 1080 source yet, but will fix that real soon.

Surprised to find there's no analog audio outputs on it--guess that's considered too old today. Understand there are optical/digital-to-analog audio converters that will solve that glitch.

Thanks much!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #70
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
Could someone please enlighten me what internet ready means in connection with TV's?

I've started looking at TV's again since our rear-projection LED Sony Bravia appears to be spitting the dummy. After 4 years a $2500 TV is reduced to scrap value, because of a design flaw. It's not really worth repairing.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #71
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbandit1 View Post

That exact TV is what I'm posting from. I rarely actually watch TV on it, but I use it mostly as a monitor for my PC, watching DVDs/BluRays, and streaming Netflix through my Roku. I'm very happy with it. I've had it about a year. I don't use the onboard sound, I have a nice Pioneer AV receiver feeding BIC speakers (5:1). I'm using HDMI for my connections.
My thought is buy this (or similar) screen instead of going high end plasma and use the money saved to put together a nice surround sound system, which is a HUGE part of watching home theater.
BTW, 1080P is really essential for displaying small text on a huge screen, IMHO.
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #72
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,349
Soooo...

Is it worth waiting for a 3D capable HDTV? Plasma still the way to go with 3D? Seems like I read in another thread that COD Black Ops is a 3d capable game; the rear projection 42" Hitachi doesn't do it justice as it... How much will these 3D TVs cost? I'm thinkin' ...
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #73
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Pretty good, succinct article in the NYTimes today, about the current tv choices.

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #74
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Sony or Samsung LED...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #75
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
I have watched a couple of BD movies on my Dad's 50" Sony LED TV. The Picture clarity is pretty astounding - so sharp it almost doesn't look like a movie at all, more like someones Hi Def home videos. It can be a bit disconcerting at first, makes standard movies look like they were filmed through a soft focus gel.

I have heard some rumors that TV prices are set to take a pretty significant tumble in the new year, anyone have any intel on that? I'm looking to put a networkable 40 inch set in the living room to attach to a media extender or HTPC, and a 50+ inch set in the family room to replace the 47" Panasonic rear projection TV we have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: