ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #571
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,886

Perhaps tomorrow depending on how the day goes.
caycek5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #572
ricepaddy
Ronin

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrhwki View Post

This old structure might not contain the Blarney stone, thou it showns the 18th century craftsmanship of irishman Samuel Gladney. Bonus points if you find the nearby church ruins and graveyard that this house served as the parsonage for.
A most excellent tag.

Rice ----
ricepaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #573
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
'Bout time for a good old Rvrhwki tag! I know where this one is, too. My morning is tied up tomorrow but after that all bets are off, so y'all better grab it quick. Speedy might race late tomorrow afternoon at Neeses if he gets some carb problems sorted on his 650.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #574
Gigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Gotcha tag

Found it on 213 near winnsboro.

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #575
Gigs
Adventurer

New tag***

This is onn the side of 321 in fairfield county. Im from the north so the pepsi logo caught my eye.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #576
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
Good grab, Gigs! I ended up not riding at all this weekend. Thankfully that is a very rare occurrence. I'm not usually allergic to pollen but I guess there's a first time for everything. This pollen is doing a number on me right now.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #577
dhtugs
Easy Explorer

Oddometer: 329
Neat looking place. Any idea on it's history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post

Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #578
boybrushedplad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355

keep your eyes peeled- Theres a brucing a comin
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #579
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Actually it is on Jackson Creek Rd between 213 and 34, closer to the 34 end. The land owner stopped to see what we were doing. He said he's been having problems with the house being vandalized lately. He asked me to write our tag numbers down for his reference. We explained the game to him and he was ok with us taking pictures of it. It seemed to put him at ease a little when I was able to talk to him about some of the history of the parsonage house, the church, and the Gladney cemetery. I asked him about it being built by Samuel Gladney and he said he had be told it wasn't. He said it was a Captain H (I couldn't catch the full name). He also said the the stone was the ballast from the ships from Europe and brought up from Charleston.
He said it has been in his family for quite a long time, and they are wanting to start restoring it before it gets worse off. He said it is for sale if anyone wants to purchase it, he didn't offer up a price though. I was told a long time ago if you have to ask then you can't afford it.

Gigs and I also went to the church. He did good on the mile of gravel to get there.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #580
dhtugs
Easy Explorer

Oddometer: 329
Tks for the info. Yeah, see the broken windows so figured it was getting trashed. Love to see the interior though. Just may have to go for a ride Tues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caycek5 View Post
Actually it is on Jackson Creek Rd between 213 and 34, closer to the 34 end. The land owner stopped to see what we were doing. He said he's been having problems with the house being vandalized lately. He asked me to write our tag numbers down for his reference. We explained the game to him and he was ok with us taking pictures of it. It seemed to put him at ease a little when I was able to talk to him about some of the history of the parsonage house, the church, and the Gladney cemetery. I asked him about it being built by Samuel Gladney and he said he had be told it wasn't. He said it was a Captain H (I couldn't catch the full name). He also said the the stone was the ballast from the ships from Europe and brought up from Charleston.
He said it has been in his family for quite a long time, and they are wanting to start restoring it before it gets worse off. He said it is for sale if anyone wants to purchase it, he didn't offer up a price though. I was told a long time ago if you have to ask then you can't afford it.

Gigs and I also went to the church. He did good on the mile of gravel to get there.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #581
Rvrhwki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhtugs View Post
Neat looking place. Any idea on it's history?
This is the info that i found while researching the tag:

The Old Stone House is significant as a rare example of eighteenth-century stone construction. Samuel Gladney (ca. 1740-1800) received a royal land grant in 1768 on which he constructed the Old Stone House. A corner of the house bears the date 1784. The house passed through several owners before it was purchased in 1870 by the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for use as a parsonage.
Rvrhwki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #582
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhtugs View Post
Tks for the info. Yeah, see the broken windows so figured it was getting trashed. Love to see the interior though. Just may have to go for a ride Tues.
It probably isn't really the proper street address, but put 9987 Jackson Creek Road, Winnsboro into google maps and go to street view and you can see it.

Just south of this site is
Gladney Cemetery 8018 Jackson Creek Rd, Winnsboro post # 5094 in the SC Tag-O-Rama. You turn up through the woods on a dirt road and cross though a field and there it is. There are some neat inscriptions on some of the markers.

The old church ruins, you're on your own.

Have a nice ride. I really enjoy riding in this area.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #583
ricepaddy
Ronin

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrhwki View Post
This is the info that i found while researching the tag:

The Old Stone House is significant as a rare example of eighteenth-century stone construction. Samuel Gladney (ca. 1740-1800) received a royal land grant in 1768 on which he constructed the Old Stone House. A corner of the house bears the date 1784. The house passed through several owners before it was purchased in 1870 by the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for use as a parsonage.

What a great tag and an even greater piece of history. I don't know if those stones came from wrecked ships or were quarried locally, but look at the corners of the structure - perfectly straight. A good example of what the Irish do when they're not drinking.

Rice ---
ricepaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #584
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddy View Post
What a great tag and an even greater piece of history. I don't know if those stones came from wrecked ships or were quarried locally, but look at the corners of the structure - perfectly straight. A good example of what the Irish do when they're not drinking.

Rice ---
The current landowner said it was ballast for the ships to balance the loaded vessel. I haven't seen any other structures in the area with the same type of stone. Near here I have seen a lot of structures of the blue granite from nearby.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #585
Gigs
Adventurer

I don't have history on the New Tag. I was riding back from the stone house with Ryan and i saw in my rearview the Pepsi logo on the old store so I flipped a "B" and snapped the shot. FYI no 3G out there. Good news as stated earlier i covered a mile on gravel and did not crash