ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #616
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrhwki View Post
Can anyone else see the new tag pic? all i'm seeing is the X
I can see it.
Ten dollars and I tell you what it is and where it is.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #617
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,805
It looks a lot like this. Google grab
Attached Images

caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #618
ricepaddy
Ronin

Oddometer: 865
What a great day for riding!

Rice ---
ricepaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #619
Rvrhwki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Thanks

For sharing. Rices smuggie must be having problems or maybe its the browser copy an paste issue again. Or maybe its just me
Rvrhwki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #620
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrhwki View Post
For sharing. Rices smuggie must be having problems or maybe its the browser copy an paste issue again. Or maybe its just me
Just you man. I can see the pic too.

So I know it's not the place for it, but after some 20 miles of semi-legal off-road riding earlier today, the XT is indefinitely down for the count.

But the Bandit has been re-jetted, valves adjusted, and lots of other minor things, and is running better than ever!

(except for a pesky oil leak I'm trying to narrow down)

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #621
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
So I know it's not the place for it, but after some 20 miles of semi-legal off-road riding earlier today, the XT is indefinitely down for the count.
Post up the details somewhere; I am interested in what's wrong with the XT as well as the semi-legal off-road riding.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #622
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
Post up the details somewhere; I am interested in what's wrong with the XT as well as the semi-legal off-road riding.
Here you go, posted in the XT350 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
Long story, so I apologize for those fans of "TL;DR."

So last Saturday, 04/02, I had planned to do a ~75 mile ride on the XT to meet up with some fellow ADVers for lunch and to grab a local tag. Group plans ended up falling through, so I decided to do some local trail riding. I recently got the XT running pretty smoothly, and where I was happy with it (about 4000 RPM at 50 and 5000 RPM at 60mph, the most I felt comfortable with on the little bike), but didn't quite trust it for a longer trip yet.

As a high schooler, I had visited a local road that had been nick-named "Light Road" by urban legend (actually named Sheep Island Road in Summerville, SC), which was a really rough and un-maintained dirt road only 3 miles from the center of town. 7 years ago, when I was a senior, the road was bad enough that it was only driveable in an SUV or truck (preferably lifted and 4x4) or motorcycle and only when dry. I haven't been down the road since, but heard it mentioned by a couple KLR guys a year ago, and had it kept in mind every once in a while since.

Unfortunately since that time, the local DOT had deemed the road too unfit to and dangerous to leave open, and so had constructed 6' high dirt berms too steep to ride over to prevent wary wanderers. Knowing it connected to a few power-line trails, I decided to try to find out how bad it was.

I rode through a nearby neighborhood and connected up with the very muddy power-line trails and worked my way back up to my target, which wasn't too bad on a dual-sport, but I side-skirted through most of the water crossings. After a few miles, I was finding a new way out when I kept seeing deer stands every few hundred yards, making me think I was trespassing on hunt club lane, confirmed a few minutes later when I saw four guys on horseback with bows slung over their shoulders for turkey season (only bow-hunting is legal in town limits). I slowed to a crawl so as not to irk the horses, and instead of the reprimand I anticipated, got merely friendly waves and smiles from the guys.

Although I did have to ride through two muddy ditches and some rough off-road to subvert a locked gate, the next few miles were uneventful back to the highway, where I cruised along at 55 until I heard a loud "clank!" as the engine shut off. I coasted to the side and tried to figure out what had happened. I saw nothing visibly wrong, so let it cool as I racked my non-mechanically-inclined brain as to possible causes. I came up with nothing and tried to re-start it a few minutes later. The kick-start had a feeling of almost no resistance, and I heard a sliding of metal inside the engine unlike its normal sound.

Thankfully, it was a perfect sunny day at 75 degrees and I was near a major intersection, so pushed it to the parking lot of a bank to call my mechanic. He came to pick us up 45 minutes later (for the last 15 minutes of which, I'd been surveilled by a pair of Berkeley County's finest from 25' away as I sat on the pavement). He tried the starter by hand, and said it didn't sound good, as I dreaded.

On the way back to my house, he told me the two possible options that first came to mind as to what happened. The first, and the one to hope for, was that it had "dropped a valve," which would cost me a new valve, pistons, and miscellaneous things that I can't recall. The second would be that a rebuild would be necessary.

Yesterday, he called to let me know he'd checked into it a little further and he couldn't diagnose it without opening her up, but estimated I would be looking at $400+ if it were a "dropped valve" (100+ for a new valve, 50-75 for a new piston, 200-300 for parts and labor) or more for a rebuild. I told him that's more than I could afford for the time being, so he dropped it off at my place last night for me to think it over. He's calling a few sources at junkyards to see about sourcing another engine, but I'm not sure what the chances of that happening and if it were worth it to me to get this bike up and running again. I will post further if there is any news of my predicament.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #623
boybrushedplad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
your XT had a heart attack ?
boybrushedplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #624
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Cover the exhaust pipe with your hand and have someone kick start it. If you have no exhaust pressure on your hand the piston pin and piston may have come apart or the connecting rod is broken.
Either way it's not good.
Piston / cyl replacements are not that hard after you have done them a few times and the piston DID NOT blow apart. If you have crunchys (parts of piston) through the case it kicks it up a few steps. Split the cases, replace parts, gasket kit.
Pull the plug look for melted electrodes or damage.
Hopefully the plug wire came off or the ECM died.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #625
ricepaddy
Ronin

Rip Van Winkle.

I'm changing my moniker to Rip Van Winkle, because I've been asleep for twenty wears only to wake up and find my tag untouched!

Rice Van Winkle
Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #626
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,071
You got the 'stash for it there Rip Van Paddy.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #627
mnahack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepaddy View Post
I've been asleep for twenty wears
I learned the four wears - regular, reverse, inside-out regular and inside-out reverse. Twenty wears... you are a bachelor's idol!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #628
ricepaddy
Ronin

Wearing out.

I guess its beginning wear on me.

Rice Van Winkle
Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #629
dhtugs
Easy Explorer

Oddometer: 329
Grab!

Shawgate Pawn & Loan Shop, Sumter. Located at the intersection of SC 378 & SC 441 adjacent to Shaw Air Force Base
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #630
dhtugs
Easy Explorer

Oddometer: 329
New Tag

This tag is located along the same 3 digit (18 total) road as the last tag but is considerably west of there. It's part of a complex that numbers it's buildings, this one being #10. You can see it's no longer in use when you get there.

Happy tagging and ride safely