Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
hautepower OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my epic journey around Australia

Gday everyone,

In 2010 I rode a Suzuki GS500F 11,442 kms from Sydney to Broome solo in 44 days.
I stayed in Broome for 6 months working at the Suzuki & Honda Motorcycle dealership.
Then I rode 8,591 kms solo on a Suzuki DR650SE from Broome to Uluru and back in 19 days.
Finally I rode 8,875 kms from Broome with my girlfriend pillion to Sydney on the DR650 in 44 days.
I posted 60 High Definition videos (of 3 hours) on youtube to tell our story of 28,908 kms in 107 days.

http://www.adrianpower.com/
http://www.youtube.com/hautepower

Regards,

Adrian and Christine
hautepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Well done, Adrian. It's great you followed your dream and got to ride around the Island.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautepower View Post
Finally I rode 8,875 km from Broome with my girlfriend pillion to Sydney on the DR650 in 44 days.
Geez... she deserves a medal!

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
hautepower OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadok View Post
Well done, Adrian. It's great you followed your dream and got to ride around the Island.
thanks very much!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
hautepower OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Geez... she deserves a medal!
haha I'll let her know :)
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
TK Baha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
The local indigenous population has a mostly bad reputation in town. Of course there are lots of very nice indigenous people who work and are pleasant, however perhaps they wouldn't have such a bad reputation if the majority didn't lie in multiple groups of about 50 in the park or on the street, fucked off their heads on paint or booze, running around punching people randomly, sometimes killing them. It's funny, when you move here for the first time you think that there are a lot of fights because the aboriginals yell at each other from across the street - eventually you realise they are just having a conversation and haven't figured out yet that moving closer to each other helps the process greatly. The whole stealing and/or smashing up everything that isn't bolted down doesn't help either. One night 20 scooters were stolen. You haven't lived in Broome until you're out in a club and a fat aboriginal woman presses her gigantic floppy boobs into your back... Also there is a different kind of stink. I'll try to explain, there's bad B/O, the kind someone might have on a train that no one wants to sit next to. Then there's aboriginal stink... you can smell it 50m away, it lingers in the air and makes you dry-heave. It takes dedication to get to that level of stink.
http://www.adrianpower.com/about.html

TK Baha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Baha View Post
Yeah mate, having lived in Nth Qld and worked with the aboriginal community, I know the kind of problems you're talking about - and also know us white fellas contributed greatly to them - but you might want to RETHINK making such broad generalisations...

Trevor
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
TK Baha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Yeah mate, having lived in Nth Qld and worked with the aboriginal community, I know the kind of problems you're talking about - and also know us white fellas contributed greatly to them - but you might want to RETHINK making such broad generalisations...

Trevor
Are you talking to me or the hautepower? I've made no generalizations.

edit:

Thanks for the clarification, DC.

TK Baha screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 04:49 PM
TK Baha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Baha View Post
Are you talking to me or the hautepower? I've made no generalizations.
Hautepower... sorry if that wasn't clear. Was quoting your link to his blog.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,377
Fantastic job of documenting your adventure! Very well done!

This is on my bucket list and I do hope I get to live my dream. I was stationed in Woomera back in the early 70's and I fell in love the country! Time to go back!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
hautepower OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Fantastic job of documenting your adventure! Very well done!

This is on my bucket list and I do hope I get to live my dream. I was stationed in Woomera back in the early 70's and I fell in love the country! Time to go back!
Thanks so much - I highly recommend you live the life you want and don't hold back, so if you want to go back there man do it!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
hautepower OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post

Trevor
Yeah good point, I was just writing what I experienced at the time, I make no apologies for being politically incorrect. Everyone who tries to sugar coat the situation in remote parts of Australia, or worse, turn a blind eye, is just contributing to the problems faced there. Believe me, I wish I could report a different reality to the one I experienced.... but I'm not saying you are!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
vac
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautepower View Post
Yeah good point, I was just writing what I experienced at the time, I make no apologies for being politically incorrect. Everyone who tries to sugar coat the situation in remote parts of Australia, or worse, turn a blind eye, is just contributing to the problems faced there. Believe me, I wish I could report a different reality to the one I experienced.... but I'm not saying you are!!!!
Mate, I've never heard anyone attempt to "sugar coat" the situation - its a national disgrace and embarrassment. But you do need to educate yourself on what's actually going on and why. You need to learn some ecological and cultural history and to get off the bike and actually talk to people. Over the last 20 years I've had the privilege of meeting any number of quiet, dignified, intelligent Aboriginal people in communities throughout remote Australia working their arses off under appalling conditions to ... recover their communities and their families. But there's some very damaged people and cultures out there. If you've got the guts to think, here's some info relevant to just one area. My father was 12 years old when this occurred. I wonder what the impacts would be on myself (and hence on to my children) if he'd had to face this.... stuff.

I can assure you, this event wasn't unique, and according to the old people I've spoken to similar (if "smaller"), events continued from Cape York to the Kimberley for another couple of decades. I blieve them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coniston_massacre

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...s=l-decade=193

I'd be interested in your response.
vac is offline   Reply With Quote