User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
header OP
Chris

Oddometer: 1,741
No time to write my next installment, but I can spare a pic

I hope everyone is likeing the story so far! Tomorrow ill get to some real riding!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
jake71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I am enjoying this. I like your style plus you are in my backyard I think.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #18
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
No time to write my next installment, but I can spare a pic

I hope everyone is likeing the story so far! Tomorrow ill get to some real riding!
You riding a chevy?

Keep the pics coming.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
header OP
Chris

Quick update.

Might be a few days before I get back to this, the weather has been good and I had fresh knobbies to replace that D908RR

Sorry no pictures of the riding though.

Back at it soon

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
header OP
Chris

Day one...for real this time!

He didnt know if he was awake or asleep, the cold air nipped at any of his exposed skin. He wasnt waking up from a good nights camping trip but a rather cheap hotel where he forgot to turn the air conditioner back to normal rather than the frost bite setting he had left it on.

Stumbling along like a polar bear just waking up from his hibernation, he drug his stiff body out of the covers. "This better be worth it" he said to himself as he put his contacts in and quickly got dressed.

He quickly made up a contraption to hold his maps so he could see them while riding and quickly hit the gas, eager to get out of the town and into the hills...

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
header OP
Chris

Day one, continued.

With the bike speeding through the town he made it clear this was no two fifty, the bikes voice resonated back and forth across each building, putting a smile on its riders face. Even in town and on pavement a big bore bike will make you smile

But he did NOT drive all this way to ride on the damn pavement! He wanted dirt! And dirt he found.

It didnt take him more than fifteen minutes to get onto a nice road that had tons of turn offs that he could have ridden for hours, and he almost did! The ground was tacky with a soft red soil and bits and small rock patches mixed in just for fun, making each trail very exciting. Nothing was very challenging, it was all smooth flowing turns in deep thick woods. It was perfect, if he wanted tough terrain that he could challenge himself on he could have stayed in Indiana. He wanted somethign that was different, beautiful and still remotely offroad. Tennessee delivered. It was beautiful, with the soil and mountains always in the distance, the dense trees, and lack of people it made for one hell of a vacation. Forget disney world.

After a very fast two hours he decided to move on, after all he still hadent found any mountains.

Soon he found himself on another highway, if there is something that can kill the passion of traveling its got to be highways. Very useful for making time but you can never see anything. He grew bored very quickly and couldnt help but take a quick side road. It was a nice wide gravel road that obviously lead somewhere. He continued to follow it and was amazed to see it open up towards a beautiful lake campground, a free on at that.

It had park benches, campfire rings and even a out house. He was rather frusterated with himself for not looking for this last night. He would have slept better under the stars.

He did not stay long though, soon he was back on the highway looking for a good route to head east. Continuing on he was close and couldnt resist one more turn off.

This one was much like the others, smooth flowing and rairly fast. At the end was a large patch of sand, he had never ridden sand and instead of being nervous he found himself becoming rather excited to try it. But it wasnt deep or dry, it was nothing different but it was still something different and made him smile.

Next up, to the top!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Header great story thuse far but...are are getting anymore?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #23
header OP
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Header great story thuse far but...are are getting anymore?
Slowly...I dont work during the school year because you cant make any money while studying so I work all the time during the summer. Like today, I just got off a 16.5 hour shift. Let me tell you, you dont care what time it is after the clock rolls past the thirteen hour mark

The next two installments should wrap it up pretty quick I think. Plus im running out of good pictures.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #24
header OP
Chris

Time to wrap it up!

Back on the highway our rider goes, he hates them but loves the idea of being on a mountain; even if it is only a small one.

The highway took him east following a river that reminded him of a reservoir he used to enjoy family outings on when he was younger, though there was a lot more room on the lake than this river.

It provided many scenic vistas and supplied a cool breeze at times.

Soon he left the river and finally began his trip into the mountains, it began with a very long and painfully strait road heading strait for the looming geography sticking out of the ground. As he begain climbing up he started noticing large objects hidden in the trees, after a few glances he realized there were very large boulders strewn about all over the forest. Most larger than the bike and himself, they made for a nice distraction as he raced up the mountain eager to try and find some place that lead to some off roading.

He knew there had to be some place where you could ride off road on the mountain, there had to be. After running around on the top he decided to just take every turn off and blaze his own path. Header was lucky today, by his second turn he realized he was on to something when he came across a view that literally took the breath out of him.

(I know my pictures do it NO justice but it was absolutely beautiful and I could have set up a chair and sat there all day.)

With the sun streaming beams of light down through the clouds onto the scattered houses throughout the valley it made for an amazing view. He continued on..

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #25
header OP
Chris

Rock anyone?

He only had to travel a mile when the road turned from a rough paved one to a wide trail that used to be covered with gravel. Now only dust and the frequent tire clad vehicle cover the trail.

At the end of the road he saw a honeycomb of trail heads surrounding him, with a small mine in front of him. Gated off of couse.

He took only a few moments to admire the work they had done, then quickly dashed off into the forest.

The trail quickly became a true OHV trail, covered in roots, mud, and rocks it did not dissapoint. But the trail quickly turned to long slabs of rock that started into downhill ledges that reminded him he was on a fully loaded bike with inadequate spring rates. He adjusted accordingly and enjoyed himself for a few hours none the less.

The top of the mountain was more or less a playground for off road vehicles, it was very rutted up from runoff that washed everything away due to the constant vehicle pressure. Header kept an eye out to look as far forward as possible, gettign hurt wasnt what he planned for.

There were many small adjacent trails that would take you seemingly anywhere, not wanting to get lost he stayed on the ones that looped back to the playground fairly quickly.

When he got too hot and sweaty he went back to the main trail and up to the road, there were a few turnoffs that he could explore and let the pig stretch its legs.

One of the roads brought him back to the other side of the first mine, but dead ended at a gate that had too many no trespassing signs for this traveler.

Other turnoffs lead to more blocked gates, some mines others looked more like observation posts. Beautiful views and riding either way.

After many hours enjoying himself his empty pit of a stomach decided it was time to eat. He reluctantly came down from the mountain and quickly found a bite to eat.

While he sat in the empty subway he realized how tired he was and how long he had really been riding. With the kick of the right leg he was off for a place to lay his head.

It didnt take him long before he found a small camp site that seemed empty enough. He got off and began setting up camp just as the sun dipped below the tree line.

Traveling light has many advantages, like being able to set up camp in less than five minutes.

(My tent)

He stripped down to just shorts and took a quick shower, rinsing himself of the dirt and grit from a good days fun. Back to the bike he found his snacks and quietly enjoyed some dried fruit and granola bars while looking for his book.

After only a few pages he grew too tired to read and quickly fell fast asleep, deep down he was sad. He kept telling himself he would get to ride more of the mountain tomorrow but really he knew his trip was nearly over.

When he awoke he quickly broke camp and began the morning duties, it didnt take him long and he was ready to hit the road. He kept the sound low as most of the other campers hadn't moved at all.

He contemplated hitting the mountain one last time but knew he wouldnt get to fully enjoy it, vowing to come back and explore for a much longer time he quietly headed west and eventually came back to where his story started. A long painfully strait highway leading, this time, away from the mountain.

Thank you all for reading along, I hope you enjoyed it and sorry for the ending not being up to par with the beginning but atleast its finished!

Later, Header.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
dude good stuff! loved the writing style, and hope to read more soon!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #27
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 606
Header, nice job. Yes, get creative. It works. You put thought and skill into the writing and the photography and the layout.

Thanks

John
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #28
header OP
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee
Header, nice job. Yes, get creative. It works. You put thought and skill into the writing and the photography and the layout.

Thanks

John
Thanks John. I liked how this one turned out but im still not impressed with it. Mine are getting better the more I do though

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 08-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #29
lotte
A1C Otte

Oddometer: 4
Nice

Great storry to bad iam in the millitary and away or i could have gone with you. Like the pictures to very nice. O ya and this is my first post on here whoop whoop .
lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #30
header OP
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotte
Great storry to bad iam in the millitary and away or i could have gone with you. Like the pictures to very nice. O ya and this is my first post on here whoop whoop .
Good first post Luke! Get that photobucket account up then start posting some pics of that new bike so I can see it in action

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh