Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Eh? Touratech 20mm riser block kit....Corrosion...

First.....If you have wobble issues after the install.....read this thread I posted on the F800 riders forum......
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...raisers.......

Today I removed the 20mm risers to make room for the small rox risers. I live in the desert southwest..... and rust/corrosion is not seen very often here, but two months back I made a trip to Wichita,KS and back.....6 hrs was through torrential downpour....and rain went every where......I`m sure of that. Anyway fast forward til today..... When I removed the Touratech kit.....This is what I found.......

That is not good, and perhaps you who uses this kit might want to grease the bolt.....You don`t want this corrosion to start gnawing in the aluminum.
Or go to ACE and spend $5 on a set of SS bolts, since TT`s quality is inferior......Even after cleaning them....you can see the finish is marred......

Heads up....if you use this kit, and live in rainy/humid area.....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 05-23-2011 at 07:53 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Normally that's what you see up here in corrosion alley-the northeast. I was wondering if you called TT and if you did what they said???
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Duke 6
Normally that's what you see up here in corrosion alley-the northeast. I was wondering if you called TT and if you did what they said???
I did not..... When I installed the kit......The instructions were printed wrong.....
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30776

I called them then.....Just to bring it to their attention.....But they sort of.... well....should we just say....brushed it off. So I posted the above thread to make everybody aware of it..... That said....I did not think that a phone call again would yield any luck. So awareness is good, and If I was going to use the kit again, I would just go to ACE and get a stainless bolt...rather than wrestle with TT. Corrosion is very important....let alone in the steering system....

Erling
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,689
I had the same riser kit on my bike and when I removed them to install a steering stabilizer my bolts looked even worse than yours.
They were only in for about 9 months.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
The bolts TT ships isn't top quality. I dropped the bike and they bent really easy. I replaced the bolts with new 12.9 bolts.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I found the bolt that holds the exhaust on at the rearmost mount was bright orange and seized when I went to snug up my pipe after 3 months. But I live next to the ocean, where it's constantly 80-90% humidity and there's a haze of salt on all my windows.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
R75/5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Old sordid story ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
I called them then.....Just to bring it to their attention.....But they sort of.... well....should we just say....brushed it off.
There have been on two or three occasions complaints from german customers about the substandard nuts and bolts which are packaged with the touratech accessories, for example here:

http://www.gs-forum.eu/showthread.php?t=34487

These complaints have made their way into the "official" touratech forum, for example here:

http://forum.touratech.de/viewtopic.php?t=6714

But touratech decided not bother to comment. They also didn't start silently packaging stainless either, which both together is also a kind of answer, I guess...
R75/5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R75/5
There have been on two or three occasions complaints from german customers about the substandard nuts and bolts which are packaged with the touratech accessories, for example here:

http://www.gs-forum.eu/showthread.php?t=34487

These complaints have made their way into the "official" touratech forum, for example here:

http://forum.touratech.de/viewtopic.php?t=6714

But touratech decided not bother to comment. They also didn't start silently packaging stainless either, which both together is also a kind of answer, I guess...
Well.... If they use the same bolt vendor for all their kits.... Then they have issues. I read through the threads.....Yay.....I got to use high school German for once........ Looks like TT need to rethink that strategy.....

Erling
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe
The bolts TT ships isn't top quality. I dropped the bike and they bent really easy. I replaced the bolts with new 12.9 bolts.
Not saying what you have done is right, wrong, good, or bad BUT, a bent handlebar riser bolt is a whole lost easier to replace and cheaper than a new handlebar, etc.

Call them a sacrificial piece, if you will. I'll take a bent riser bolt over bent bars or damaged triples, etc. any day.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
Call them a sacrificial piece, if you will. I'll take a bent riser bolt over bent bars or damaged triples, etc. any day.
Hmm. You might have a point there.... Thank's for the input.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Yes, I could have swore than in the installation instructions for mine it actually mentioned something about how the bolts are designed to "give" before the triples and such....
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yes, I could have swore than in the installation instructions for mine it actually mentioned something about how the bolts are designed to "give" before the triples and such....
Say anything about needing to grease the bolt to avoid corrosion..........Easy now.....Just thinking out loud......

Sorry.....I had too much espresso...

Erling
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
liorsmotoride
Lior's moto ride

Oddometer: 400
thanks for the info
Used parts 04 R1150GSA 09 R1200GS
Parts Unlimited dealer and lot more
liorsmotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liorsmotoride
thanks for the info
Yeppers.......

Erling
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Today I removed the 20mm risers to make room for the small rox risers. I live in the desert southwest..... and rust/corrosion is not seen very often here, but two months back I made a trip to Wichita,KS and back.....6 hrs was through torrential downpour....and rain went every where......I`m sure of that. Anyway fast forward til today..... When I removed the Touratech kit.....This is what I found.......

That is not good, and perhaps you who uses this kit might want to grease the bolt.....You don`t want this corrosion to start gnawing in the aluminum.
Or go to ACE and spend $5 on a set of SS bolts, since TT`s quality is inferior......Even after cleaning them....you can see the finish is marred......

Heads up....if you use this kit, and live in rainy/humid area.....

Erling
Firstly, thanks for all your great input on the advrider ebrabaek.

Secondly, I agree with this statement totally. Seems every TT product I've purchased (but one: handguards) has been supplied with inferior quality fasteners and horribly written installation instructions. It's like they took the German instructions and copy/pasted them into Google translator to English, and said "ahh, good enough, go ahead and print them". But seriously, for the amount of money TT charges for their products you think you could get some decent quality SS fasteners. Sheesh..

I'm leaning towards the Wunderlich side of things now. I think I'm going to give them a try.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote