User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Martynho OP
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
Chain slap?

I am concerned at the amount of chain slap on my 08 990Adv. I have set the tension correctly at about 50mm play when the rear is compressed and axle/sw brg and chainwheel aligned so dont want to go any tighter, but the chain slap sounds alarming considering there is no chain guide fitted. I am used to running chains slacker rather than tighter on my EXC's in the interests of driveline bearings but these have a chain guide of course.

Anyone else have this also...should I just ignore it or are there any dire consequences out there waiting for me.

BTW the OEM chain has 12K miles on it. Sprockets look good. What chain life are folks getting out there

thanks
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho
I am concerned at the amount of chain slap on my 08 990Adv. I have set the tension correctly at about 50mm play when the rear is compressed and axle/sw brg and chainwheel aligned so dont want to go any tighter, but the chain slap sounds alarming considering there is no chain guide fitted. I am used to running chains slacker rather than tighter on my EXC's in the interests of driveline bearings but these have a chain guide of course.

Anyone else have this also...should I just ignore it or are there any dire consequences out there waiting for me.

BTW the OEM chain has 12K miles on it. Sprockets look good. What chain life are folks getting out there

thanks
I'm at the end of my 3rd chain and none of them went past 16k miles. The rollers start falling of about 15k miles.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
I have set the tension correctly at about 50mm play when the rear is compressed and axle/sw brg and chainwheel aligned
50 mm play when front sprocket, swingarm axle and rear axle are aligned sounds a lot to me !!
I assume the point of max chain tension occurs when all of the above is aligned so you don't want too much play at that point, maybe 5-10 mm.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Look at it positively, chain slap means that the chain's not over tensioned.

Try turning both chain adjuster bolts 1/6th of a turn at a time outwards to tighten the chain up a little.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
I have set the tension correctly at about 50mm play when the rear is compressed and axle/sw brg and chainwheel aligned so dont want to go any tighter,
This is the longest point of the wheelbase, it is not possible for the chain to become any tighter then at this very point. 50mm is WAY too much slack in the chain when all is aligned. You would want 5 - 10mm max at this point

If you have 50mm of chain slack at this point, how much do you have when the bike is on its center stand? I would imagine about 70 - 85mm?

Readjust and I am sure that it will take care of your slapping problem
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
BartG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Question

Funny you should mention this because I have the same on my 08 990. I have tried all different tensions from loose to tight and nothing helps (even though it does get worse if its to loose... I am even tempted to buy a chain guide just for this!

I notice though it only happens at around 4000RPM and for the rest its ok, riding 2 up also changes it slightly because the chain runs a little tighter.

If anyone has a real fix do post it!

Any experience putting on chain guides or those runners you see on KTMtwins? does it help?
BartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Grizzz4440
Over the Hill (Wild Bill)

Oddometer: 99
I would think when the bike is on the center stand 50mm would be about right. Your chain is way to loose.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
maybe i'm stating the obvious but look in your owner's manual and it will tell you exactly how much slack the chain should have (40mm when on the side stand if i remember correctly).

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Martynho OP
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 407
Sorry chaps

Typo or maybe I was still dizzy after a ride....I measured the slack at the tightest point, and it was the KTM manual specified 5mm (not 50 sorry). Still I have chain slap particularly pulling higher gears from about 3000rpm and also at 4000 rpm steady throttle as mentioned earlier by someone else.

Had this for years on EXC's and just lived with it and no ill effects.

So comfort me or otherwise - Chain slap - got it or not?

Chime in with your chain life, or is there a thread out there already?
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
my rollers started falling off at 50K+
always used Meoni's (mechanic's) way: three fingers between the swingarm and chain on the sidestand, under the 8m bolt that's toward the back
just WD40 for cleaning after dirty days
as for the slap, it does happen when it gets on the loose side and I'd also check the slider, they're notorious for loosening off (people are also notorious for not using loctite in critical areas... )
Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:

thanks

Sorry if this has already been posted - I'm too slack to read all the replies

You might find it's caused by V-twin pulse - seriously.

I've had a few big V-twins and they've all have done the same thing. I thought the same thing as you and kept adjusting the chain but it kept happenning!!

Then one day while talking to a mechanic that also used to race road going V-twins, the subject came up of chain slap and he told me it was the pulse of the V-twin that caused it.

To check whether it is pulses that are causing it, have someone ride your bike while you ride theirs...obviously you have to ride beside them on the left side...and look at the chain.
I found on all my big V-twins the slap was most noticable at around 4000rpm.
So have the person ride at constant throttle at around the 4000rpm range and watch the chain...you'll see it start to significantly pulse / vibrate up and down.
If it does this, it's not chain adjustment - it's V-twin pulse

Give it a try.

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #12
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,656
Slap???

Ive never had a chain slap on my 950A - make sure its adjusted as per manual and its not over long (272mm - 18 rollers IIRC). My did 525VM is brilliant - no noise and aging well. Funny about the 4000rpm comment - I think mine is happiest here with the 17/42 gearing.

Pete
Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #13
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640
Ive never had a chain slap on my 950A - make sure its adjusted as per manual and its not over long (272mm - 18 rollers IIRC). My did 525VM is brilliant - no noise and aging well. Funny about the 4000rpm comment - I think mine is happiest here with the 17/42 gearing.

Pete
that's because it's not chain slap - it's caused by the vibes a V-twin engine produces and those vibes are transmitted to the chain in a form of vibration.

Most people don't notice it - it's usually only noticed by sensitive folk

If you follow the technical reasons for motor design in the world of racing (especially MotoGP) you'll have heard the experts all talking about tyre wear and the fact that V-twins are easier on the rear tyre than in-line fours because of the pulses the V-twin engine emits. As a follow-on to that Yamaha changed the firing order of it MotoGP engine and also the engine in the road going R1 to emulate the pulse of a V-twin.

Well those pulses they're so concerned about also cause the feeling that the bike has chain slap, when it's actually vibration.

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Number057
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Puke

I am a "sensitive sound" guy and when I purchase my bike a month ago I came here to seek an answer , but it was not very specific , so I did something very simple , and it reduced my chain slap like 70%! (first check you have the chain to correct specs acording to manual), simple and cheap , I just put a 2 mm antinoise foam, the one that has one side with glue and put it in between the plastic chain slide and the suspension arm , that is it! done . it made a huge diference on my bike the sound was coming from the slap of the plastic and the arm, In my case .
Hope it helps!
Number057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Your chain is 10-15mm too loose. It should be 35-40mm, while bike is on side stand.

DO NOT adjust chain tension while the bike is on the center stand. You're asking for trouble and excessive chain wear at minimum if you do that. When the bike is on the center stand the swing arm is in its fully extended position. This is the chain's tightest position because the drive shaft (center of the front sprocket) and rear axle (center of the rear sprocket) are as misaligned as they can be. If you set the chain tension to 35-40mm in this position it will be WAY too loose when the swing arm is in the exact middle of its swing, when the drive shaft and rear axle are fully aligned. The reason KTM has you put the bike on the side stand is because it loads the bike and moves the swing arm more toward middle of its swing: the point where the drive shaft and rear axle are aligned. No, putting the bike on it's side stand doesn't put the swing arm exactly at the aligned position, but it's closer. Also KTM have accounted for this in their chain tension specification. Follow the manual specification and steps and it'll be perfect. Good luck.

Not the way I understand it, or how it has been explained by others smarter than me. The swingarm movement is an arc. Off the stand with no load is not the tightest the chain will be. The chain will be tightest when the swingarm is straight in line with the front countershaft.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote