Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
Stormy Weather
skier turned bike nut

Oddometer: 110
Great Photos!

Great job! This is definitely making me look forward to me moving to utah in august. Might just have to head out there early and explore the canyonlands...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Great ride & report.. You got a nice pile of good pics on this one.

Yes, there are lots of rides, pics, & eloquent reporting on moab. But it is a classic ride destination that never gets old. Thanks for the report on the wr's & how they worked for you.. seems like it's upstaging a lot of other bikes for rides like this.

I don't mind an occasional jeep or other cage creeping in the pics.. & i could never find your 'white speck' of your son's helmet.. just goes to show how the vast distances dwarf us wee folk. Good looking kid, btw.. Great that you guys can do stuff like riding together.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 826
Great photos.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

Nice Piccies!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778

never too many Moab pics. The WRT is just so fun and full of great scenes at every turn.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,518
DAY 3: The Maze via Poison Spring-North Hatch Canyons

So we took Edward Abbey's advice of Desert Solitaire that can be applied to a lesser degree to motorcycles:

"In the first place, you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the sandstone and through the thornbush and cactus. When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe. Probably not."

Our plan was to trailer the WR's over to Hanksville west of Moab on the other side of the river and use that as a base to ride and hike around The Maze for a few days and then around the Henry Mountains for the rest of the trip. Hanksville is nothing like the town of Moab, but you can eat on a couple of burger joints, there is a supermarket, gas, two motels, the basics.

We took Poison Spring Canyon to a section of Canyonlands National Park in the Maze District called Earnies Country. Preparations at Hanksville's Whispering Sands Hotel:

Start of Poison Spring:

You ride pretty much the whole time on the dry river bed:

As you go deeper into the canyon, walls naturally grow taller:

Climbing up and down various side canyons tributaries to Poison Spring:

Crossing the Dirty Devil River:

Entering North Hatch Canyon:

On the way to Teapot Rock:

Probably the most technical stretch of our trip: from Teapot to Mother and Child: slickrock, lose rock, ledges, etc.

Trail gets easier a couple of miles thereafter:

Late in the afternoon we arrived at the trailhead below Mother and Child, which you can see in the background:

After 4 hours of hiking we arrived at our campsite around midnight in Earnies Country:

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 06:24 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #23
Sharan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thumb

Fantastic RR

The quality of photos are one of the best I've seen from ride reports here. Some of them are now my desktop background. Don't want to hijack this thread but can you tell me what camera did you use?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm on the market for something more portable than my Nikon DSLR to take with me when riding. I'm somehow reluctant to carry it in my backpack (got Pelican case), too bulky and also it costs more than my bike . Too much to worry about when terrain gets too snotty for me.

On some of my rides I've ended up in some really good looking places just screaming to get some pics taken, but only photo gear I had was iPhone. Needless to say the quality of these snapshots are just crap.

The pics quality suggests that you used DSLR with good lens, but from pictures it looks that you guys rode fairly lightweight packed...

BTW your son looks uncannily like my boy (on the first pic of third day, with sunglasses). Mine is 24, finished university and just landed his first full time job. He's not riding bikes , but we spent some magnificent time together on fishing/camping trips. Those days are the the most precious times for me.

Thanks for listening.
Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Day 4: Hiking Earnies Country

I know this is not a hiking site, so I won't bore you with too many hiking pics.

Sunrise on our campsite near one of two springs in several square miles:

Relaxing behind the spring:

Filtering water with the trusty Katadyn Hiker Pro from the spring, which is literally one drop per second filling two half barrels:

We hiked south toward the Colorado River outlook:

Down the dry wash:

Cataract Canyon with the Colorado way down the face of the cliff and thunderstorms approaching so we chickened out and turnaround quickly:

Then we hiked north toward an area called The Fins:

A little rain as a front went by:

Sunset by the campsite with temps dropping to the mid 40's:

ejtv screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 09:04 PM
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #25
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharan
Fantastic RR

The quality of photos are one of the best I've seen from ride reports here. Some of them are now my desktop background. Don't want to hijack this thread but can you tell me what camera did you use?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm on the market for something more portable than my Nikon DSLR to take with me when riding. I'm somehow reluctant to carry it in my backpack (got Pelican case), too bulky and also it costs more than my bike . Too much to worry about when terrain gets too snotty for me.

On some of my rides I've ended up in some really good looking places just screaming to get some pics taken, but only photo gear I had was iPhone. Needless to say the quality of these snapshots are just crap.

The pics quality suggests that you used DSLR with good lens, but from pictures it looks that you guys rode fairly lightweight packed...

BTW your son looks uncannily like my boy (on the first pic of third day, with sunglasses). Mine is 24, finished university and just landed his first full time job. He's not riding bikes , but we spent some magnificent time together on fishing/camping trips. Those days are the the most precious times for me.

Thanks for listening.
Believe it or not, I primarily used a simple Nikon Coolpix L3 (5 megapixels; I think I paid $150 about 5 years ago) which I picked because I am fond of Nikkor lenses. About 15% of the pics are with a 3G iPhone, lower quality, but you have to have a keen eye to really tell. I've thought about getting a better camera, but other than more control over depth of field, I don't think I can top the convenience of these two portable options.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Re the WR's

If some of you are wondering about various mods for the WR250R's, we tested various mods for 10 days:

One of the bikes had the FMF programmer, pipe, header, and 3.5 gallon Safari tank. The other one did not. These mods made a huuuuge difference. The FMF mods convert a very capable bike into a really fun bike.

We carried an auxiliary 1 gallon gas bladder from JustGasTanks for the WR with the stock 2 gallon tank. Worked great but Safari is more convenient. In my opinion, the extra $'s for the Safari are worthwhile during these trips where time and range are of the essence. In fact, we think Safari plus the bladder is the best combo, giving you 4.5 gallons and about 300 miles range for care free playing around and camping for several days without worries.

Both bikes had Pirelli's RallyCross tires. Also huuuge difference compared to stock Trailwings. We tried the Pirelli's on mud, sand, lose rock, steep climbs, slickrock, some snow, rivercrossings, pavement. Outstanding.

One bike had Acerbis handguards, the other Highway Dirtbikes. Handsdown Highway Dirtbikes offered much better protection. And the integrated mirrors, and top clamp with switches, powerlet, etc., are way cooler. Worth every penny.

One bike had stock footpegs, which bent on the first fall. The other beefier ones, another basic must have mod.

For heated grips, one bike had Hotgrips, the other one Symtec. Both provided plenty of warmth. But we preferred Symtec. Hotgrips were too wide and too hard on these long technical rides.

We both used GiantLoop saddle and tank bags. They worked beautifully.

Both bikes had Flatland bash-plate and radiator guards. Plenty of protection.

Hope this is helpful for those looking for options.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Bike and backpack. I love it!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #28
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Thumb

Really excellent job on the report Outstanding pics...

Thanks for taking the time...and congrats on the time with your kid.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 226
So who did the running to make the photo?

ET,

Great RR as usual.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #30
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240

Astronaut surveying a new world? Naw, just a ADV rider taking in the the magnificence of this great country.

Best picture ever.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote