User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Talk to me about a 1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra

I've got a line on one in original, slightly faded red paint with every single accessory and original part, 11,000 miles and seemingly overall veru good condition. The seat has been recovered, and that seems to be the only bit that has been altered. It has not run in maybe 5 years, but has good compression, electrics etc. Is this something worth using as a rider? I know the basics on these, but how is reliability, and what do these go for on ebay etc. They seem pretty rare and I can't even find any auction results. I'm super excited about the prospect of this, I really like the look of the toaster tank etc.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
healeyblue
Old and Cunning

Oddometer: 72
T500 Cobra

I used to sell Suzuki motorcycles in the late 70s. I have only seen one Cobra...ever. However, it is basically the stone-axe reliable predecessor of the T500 Titan. Nothing could kill these bikes. I have always had an urge to own an old Titan again. They handled pretty well for the time and were quite smooth compared to most British twins of the era.

Two strokes had quite peaky torque curves but the T500 was actually quite wide (for a two stroke).

Enjoy!!
healeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
Nice review of the bike here: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/mo...zuki-t500.aspx

Mentions good handling, but a thirsty engine.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
zoo mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Any sense of what these are selling for?
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
ken_the_carp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Lots of information here;

http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/t500index.htm

Value? I guess it's how bad someone wants it.

There is lots of history, in the hands of a madman they could be terrifying.

Proud owner of 2 Titans, good solid rides, mosquitoes love them.
ken_the_carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
old paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
reliable - yes

healeyblue says the Cobra is basically the same as the Titan. I rode a Titan from new and never had an issue. One trip was 4,000 miles in 13 days and during that time I did foul one plug in heavy traffic. Other than that nothing ever happened to it. It was very comfortable, used almost no oil (consumption was less than a friend's Jaguar, which I thought was pretty funny) and turned in a predictable 50mpg. The lack of engine braking was a bit of an issue in the big hills and in south Louisiana in the summer it attracted zillions of love bugs.

I'd not hesitate to buy one. Good luck.
old paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Frank06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I got my '73 Titan running after it had sat for ~15 years in a leaky shed (basically the same bike as the Cobra). The PO had evidently drained the carbs as everything was dry (but not rusty.) Add gas, clean points and set timing. Kick bike (the starter not the bike!). Go for ride. Very reliable and a nice old ride.
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,973
They are pretty solid but I wouldn't vote for it as a daily rider just because costs for old parts can be higher. You can still get Suz parts from a dealer, back to about 73, after that it seems to get more difficult. Maybe there are enough Titan parts around that could work. There is likely to be a lot that needs to be done. If it has sat for 5 years then the tank probably needs a going through, fuel lines are likely brittle, no doubt some bolts that won't want to come out. Airfilter may need to be created, of course carbs will need extensive soaking/cleaning, cables could be toast, all fixable. If the cranks seals have gone to heaven then you will need to find some new ones ($150 for my X6) and spilt the cases etc to install. I had a T500 and would like to get another some day. Just got myself a couple of water buffalos. How much do they want for this. It doesn't seem like a big collectable, not running so who knows what lurks in the motor, and it will take some work even if it is basically solid, I'll take it!
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
They can go for $8500 fully restored in the US.

Seat pan is highly prone to rusting all the way through, and they are next to impossible to find replacements.

Crank seals will most likely need to be redone after sitting for 5 years. After you fix that and confirm the oil lines are running right it should run forever, and actually prefers to be ridden frequently (once a week-ish) to keep the crank seals in good nack.

I commuted for a few years on a '69 Titan without many issues.

Here is a great source for info:
http://www.suzuki2strokes.com/forum/

Edit: Just realizing this is a bump of an old thread. If I remember correctly zoo picked up the Cobra, but last I heard he was selling it?
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
I've got a line on one in original, slightly faded red paint with every single accessory and original part, 11,000 miles and seemingly overall veru good condition. The seat has been recovered, and that seems to be the only bit that has been altered. It has not run in maybe 5 years, but has good compression, electrics etc. Is this something worth using as a rider? I know the basics on these, but how is reliability, and what do these go for on ebay etc. They seem pretty rare and I can't even find any auction results. I'm super excited about the prospect of this, I really like the look of the toaster tank etc.

From what I understand the 1968 model was a hot rod with the later machines becoming detuned for touring. Suzuki made the best two strokes.
Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,707
http://nachtflug.smugmug.com/Suzuki/...96534365_zoFeM
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
barko1
barko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Which model is this

EDIT: NO NUDIES HERE, SORRY. PIC REMOVED

Whose X6 scrambler, I have one in pieces
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!

Flood screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 10:57 PM
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,976
looks low miles. sweet
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
barko1
barko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
looks low miles. sweet
Nacht was hiding this model, definitely needs to be ridden more
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 44,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo mob View Post
this was at Rhinebeck last weekend. he wanted like $8500 but it was %110 perfect.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote