User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 882
A ride to Ellenborough Falls

Departed for the Golden Arches @ Hexham at 0800 on a clear crisp morning. Headed to Seaham then onto Dungog via East Seaham and Clarencetown.
A short break at Dungog to stretch the legs

Next stop was Gloucester via Stroud Hill Rd and the Bucketts Way. Stroud Hill Road is a great bike road if you love corners and it doesn’t get used all that much. The road surface is not great closer to Dungog, but is in good condition once you cross the council boundary.

The plan was to try and catch a fellow stromtrooper, on his way to Walcha, at Gloucester but at 10.00 am the place was buzzing with not a park or a Strom in sight, plenty of latte sipping Beemers though ::)

So I hightailed it out of the chaos and headed straight to Wingham along the Buckets Way. After a bite to eat and refuel, it was on to Marlee and Elands. The closer I got to Elands the more fun the road got and the scenery was pretty impressive too

Elands is a short distance from Ellenborough Falls, a place I’d been trying to get to for sometime.
Ellenborough Falls is located on the Bulga Plateau, surrounded by Bulga State Forest and Tapin Tops Nat. Park. With a single drop of almost 200m, is one of the highest in the southern Hemisphere.

Front the top and across the Gorge.

As it was still fairly early in the day I decided I’d take on the walk to the base, after all it was only a 500 mtr walk, but I think I must have missed the bit about the 642 steps.
The walk way turned out to be narrow

And quite steep in places

But it was worth it

Now for the climb back to the top

When my heart rate had finally returned to somewhere below 150 bpm, I saddled up and headed for Gloucester but instead of going back the way I’d come the plan was to head into Tapin Tops NP and link up with Thunderbolts Way somewhere around Mares Run, funny how things never go to plan.
Track conditions where pretty good for the most of the way, but the surrounds certainly helped

The further I ventured into the forest the more fun I was having

Conditions did start to deteriorate as the track emptied out into farming country
(there was actually a section much worst than this but I was starting to get lazy with the camera)

But the view was worth it

It was about now that my plan started to dissolve, according to my research Hicks Lane/road links up with Baxter Ridge Trail, but 5 ks from where it leaves Nowendoc Rd I was greeted by a Private Property/ No entry sign adjacent the cattle grid on a boundary fence. Not wanting to push my luck until I had my facts straight I headed back. Unfortunately this meant an extra 40 ks of gravel back to Nowendoc and then run to Gloucester
The road to Nowendoc

With it getting late and with me now a bit behind schedule I was pushing on a good rate, Unfortunately it was a bit to good, as one of Ms Keneally’s finest decide I should make a donation the States well being.
With my tail between my legs it was a cold slow trip home.
But still a great day out on the bike with 558 ks on the Odometer as I rolled up the driveway
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Nice bit of bush you rode through. Looked like fun.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote