User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
niceviewbehindbars OP
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Legal to stand up while riding?

I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.

I passed a state cop yesterday while standing and I know he saw me but he didn't turn around. Anyone know if there is a law on this? It may be different in different states I would assume. Dunno?

I guess this is sort of like the thugs cruising around with the the seats laid all the way back. Although I know i am in much better control that they are.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
It varies from state to state. WA & OR it is against the law. (But I do it anyway)
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.

I passed a state cop yesterday while standing and I know he saw me but he didn't turn around. Anyone know if there is a law on this? It may be different in different states I would assume. Dunno?

I guess this is sort of like the thugs cruising around with the the seats laid all the way back. Although I know i am in much better control that they are.
I don't think it is. I do it on the interstate at 70, to stretch.
Some cops don't ride and probably think it is though.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I've seen someone post one state's law that stipulates the rider must be seated. I never do it in traffic or where there are likely LEOs.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
minerbill
Emits Methane

Oddometer: 287
No air time for the nads in Colorado

From the Colorado Statutes:

42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles.
(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.

(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.
minerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Tennessee

55-8-164. Riding on motorcycles.
(a) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle, unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one (1) person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two (2) persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the operator. (b) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, headlamp illuminated, facing forward, with one (1) leg on each side of the motorcycle. (c) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying any package, bundle, or other article which prevents such person from keeping both hands on the handlebars. (d) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator. [Acts 1955, ch. 329, § 64; 1976, ch. 758, § 1; T.C.A., § 59-865.]
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Trooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
It depends on the state. I believe Oregon requires you to be seated at all times while on the highway. California for example does not address it one way or the other.

Greg
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper
California for example does not address it one way or the other.Greg
Nice and I have wondered about this. Being able to stand and stretch is one of the reasons I can ride my motorcycle longer/farther than when operating a car.
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Laws be damned.

There are some laws I do not care about. This is one. My bikes are designed to be ridden while standing as well as sitting and that is what I do and will continue to do. Laws be damned.

I was pulled over one time in Everett, WA by a Fem-LEO. When I inquired as to why she told me because I was standing.

A shift Sergeant pulled up and asked if I had been Speeding or stunting???

She told him no and he got my license back from her, handed it to me and told me to have a nice night.

WA. does have a law against it... but its a silly law.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
niceviewbehindbars OP
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
There are some laws I do not care about. This is one. My bikes are designed to be ridden while standing as well as sitting and that is what I do and will continue to do. Laws be damned.

I was pulled over one time in Everett, WA by a Fem-LEO. When I inquired as to why she told me because I was standing.

A shift Sergeant pulled up and asked if I had been Speeding or stunting???

She told him no and he got my license back from her, handed it to me and told me to have a nice night.

WA. does have a law against it... but its a silly law.
I'm with you. I'm still going to do it. Just wondering if it was legal or not. Anybody know about the east coast states?

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I'm with you. I'm still going to do it. Just wondering if it was legal or not. Anybody know about the east coast states?

AFAIK it isn't illegal in NC.

That doesn't mean it can't fall under the heading "reckless", though. I assume most people know why I do it when it is hot out.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 246
The MSF encourages us to 'stand' (slightly raise off the seat) on the pegs for going over obstacles in the road.

The law was probably written for this guy:

.. not to prevent ph0rk from managing his swimmers' incubation environment.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
I've been pulled for it NC. Warned. Cop knew it was BS too but felt he had to let me know. I believe thay can charge you with a c&r ... 4 pts in NC.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 938
I do it once in a while, but generally with lots and lots of space between me and anyone else. Yet to be stopped.
IF I am ever stopped for it, I plan to politely let the LEO know that it is a legitimate and prudent method of increasing leverage and stability in various road conditions, and is widely supported by MSA courses.
Should the LEO indicate he plans to charge me, I will also politely inform him that I plan to make my case with a traffic judge.
Always politely.

I very much doubt I'd get written up.

The ATTGATT and greying beard tend to indicate a generally mature individual, which has helped with other issues in the past. (Little do they know).

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by H e a d N o r t h
The ATTGATT and greying beard tend to indicate a generally mature individual, which has helped with other issues in the past. (Little do they know).

Well, the wheelie you did by the speed trap was one hell of a hint...

Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote