Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Not illegal in Vermont, and the state trooper thought it was a silly question when I asked. Some times of the year our small towns are clogged with tourists. I stand on the GS so I can better see folks pulling out...and so more of my high vis clothing is visible.

It sure is hard to keep track of all these silly rules when traveling from state to state!

Pete
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,658
In Texas the law sez, " the motorcycle shall be operated from the seat".
I stand up all the time. If I get stopped I'll let you know.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #18
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Illegal in Maryland.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #19
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Must be seated in West by God.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
It does vary from state to state. frankly I do not know what the law in Arizona is where I live and frankly do not care, because if it is appropriate and or i need to, I will.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It does vary from state to state. frankly I do not know what the law in Arizona is where I live and frankly do not care, because if it is appropriate and or i need to, I will.
Same here. My comfort and safety (the two reasons I will stand on the pegs, however briefly) comes first. Always.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #22
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
When riding long distances, I end up standing a lot. Even at 75mph on the interstate. I do it to relieve my butt burn and stretch. I had no idea it wasn't legal to stand in some states.

Has anybody been given a citation?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
I stand up a lot while riding, at least when my speed is below 45. Sometimes on the interstate but only for a few moments.

I passed a state cop yesterday while standing and I know he saw me but he didn't turn around. Anyone know if there is a law on this? It may be different in different states I would assume. Dunno?

I guess this is sort of like the thugs cruising around with the the seats laid all the way back. Although I know i am in much better control that they are.
Graham,

I asked my neighbor (VSP trooper) that very question. Actually, I asked him to research the Code of VA to find out if it was actually prohibited by code. He replied that as long as the rider has both feet on the pegs, and both hands on the bars, and the action (standing on the pegs) was not careless, or reckless, or determined to be "stunting", then it is lawful.

He also said that as long as you're not acting like a squid (his term), nobody will ever bother you. (I'm not so sure about that part... some guys are looking for any reasonable suspicion to make a traffic stop).

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
idealistix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I don't know if it is legal and I don't care. I usually stand up on the pegs for about 20 seconds at a time on hot days to get more airflow. I do it only at lower speeds (< 50 mph) and in light traffic. I am fully in control of the bike and I have never been stopped for doing this.
idealistix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
When riding long distances, I end up standing a lot. Even at 75mph on the interstate. I do it to relieve my butt burn and stretch. I had no idea it wasn't legal to stand in some states.

Has anybody been given a citation?
YES.

I bumped Belgum Waffles thread on the matter for all to see.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431005&highlight=standing+pegs

Here is more on Virginia.

Check Code of Virginia 46.2-909. Not knowing Virginia law or how things are looked at there, this a problematic code. I would assume that in spirit, it is meant to keep people from riding on handlebars bicycle style or just hanging off or sitting on the bike any old way. Read literally though, it says you will ride upon the seat. Get a cop who is reading it for what it says vs spirit of the law, you could get cited. But then again it all depends too what precedence has been set, if any.

§ 46.2-909. Riding on motorcycles, generally.
Every person operating a motorcycle, as defined in § 46.2-100 excluding three-wheeled vehicles, shall ride only upon the permanent seat attached to the motorcycle, and such operator shall not carry any other person. No other person shall ride on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride on the permanent seat if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the seat for the operator. If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, it shall also be equipped with a footrest for the use of such passenger.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #26
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
YES.

I bumped Belgum Waffles thread on the matter for all to see.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431005&highlight=standing+pegs

Here is more on Virginia.

Check Code of Virginia 46.2-909. Not knowing Virginia law or how things are looked at there, this a problematic code. I would assume that in spirit, it is meant to keep people from riding on handlebars bicycle style or just hanging off or sitting on the bike any old way. Read literally though, it says you will ride upon the seat. Get a cop who is reading it for what it says vs spirit of the law, you could get cited. But then again it all depends too what precedence has been set, if any.

§ 46.2-909. Riding on motorcycles, generally.
Every person operating a motorcycle, as defined in § 46.2-100 excluding three-wheeled vehicles, shall ride only upon the permanent seat attached to the motorcycle, and such operator shall not carry any other person. No other person shall ride on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride on the permanent seat if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the seat for the operator. If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, it shall also be equipped with a footrest for the use of such passenger.
I pointed that code out to my neighbor, who assures me that case law does not support a summons for standing on the pegs, if such action is not careless or reckless in nature.

YMMV...
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Jimmy
I pointed that code out to my neighbor, who assures me that case law does not support a summons for standing on the pegs, if such action is not careless or reckless in nature.

YMMV...

As it should be.

I stumbled upon that in the other thread and since you had inquired I thought I would throw it up.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
tenfive0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 86

&nbsp
&nbsp

What a fricking as_hole. I'm a long time Harley rider. I have to ignore some of the comments made about Harley's and their riders that are made by some in this forum. I love all American and European made two wheelers. I can say I’ve never owned a bike with more than 3 cylinders. I’ve never own an Asian bike and I don’t have anything ageist anyone who does. It’s not fair and please DO NOT judge us all in the same category as this idiot. I don't know who this guy was trying to impress but it’s just a good think his runaway bike didn't hit an innocent person in the parking lot. It appears he wasn’t hurt seriously but he should have castrated himself as a result so not to pollute the gene pool. You think he might learn his lesson when he gets the repair bill but I hardy doubt it.

When Indian Larry was killed doing the same thing without a helmet the comment was “He did it 1,000 times before”. I just had to chuckle apparently it can only be done 1,000 time by any individual because the 1001 time will kill you.
tenfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #29
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
If anyone is interested not been pulled in the UK for it. I do it in town sometimes to see over traffic before filtering.

Also, bungee cord is perfectly acceptable for 'securely attached'
Tome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #30
milwaukeemadass
Web Geek

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfive0
What a fricking as_hole...
I like how after a very, very brief glance towards the bike this clown is more concerned about looking cool and blowing it off and picking his crap up off the deck instead of making sure no bystanders were hurt. Pure moron that one.

The MadAss Army: www.madassarmy.com
milwaukeemadass is offline   Reply With Quote