Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemadass
I like how after a very, very brief glance towards the bike this clown is more concerned about looking cool and blowing it off and picking his crap up off the deck instead of making sure no bystanders were hurt. Pure moron that one.
That is the way of the Pirate. It is all about the image.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #32
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ

Here is more on Virginia.

Check Code of Virginia 46.2-909. Not knowing Virginia law or how things are looked at there, this a problematic code.

Typical Virginia legal crap. It's like they want to keep the rules incredibly vague so nobody can understand them. Then everyone stays skeered that they might be breaking some little known, poorly worded law.... since there are zillions of them. Yay commonwealth!
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #33
niceviewbehindbars OP
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
I passed another VA state cop last night on my way home while standing up again.. That's twice in the last week. I kept standing as I passed him and he obviously didn't seem to mind.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 AM   #34
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk
AFAIK it isn't illegal in NC.

That doesn't mean it can't fall under the heading "reckless", though. I assume most people know why I do it when it is hot out.
NC LEOs dont give a rats ass, unless you are doing more than just standing.
Trust me on this

Speed and stand, or jump a ditch and go down the road while standing, or maybe jump a RR Xing and stand, yeah, yer gettin' a ticket
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
Sit
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 638
Just so someone reading this wont have to read all of the crap in Belgum Waffles' thread. His son was not cited for violating the Oregon code that deals with sitting on a bike, he was cited for careless. Yes, I think it was an improper charge, proper stop, but in the spirit of the law, the wrong code was used.

As for other states etc, look it up on the web or stop by your state police office and ask them. If your state forbids it, just remember to use a reasonable argument if you go to court. Simply stating your bike is designed for it and you were in control does nothing to negate the issue of your butt not being on the seat. I would suspect you would have to do better than that. A Ferrari is street legal, can do zero to god knows what in a blink of an eye, but does not make it legal to actually do it. "But officer, my car was designed for this" won't get you any where.

That all being said, ride safe and enjoy.
13 Patrol
Sit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #36
Furiousgeorge233
n00b

Oddometer: 3
In WI

I had some friends that were pulled over in WI this weekend for standing on the pegs. Older group, no stunting, just stretching out. No tickets issued. I did a quick search and couldn't find the law that says it's illegal in WI but I did find a state sight that mentions twice to stand on the pegs when encountering railroad tracks and potholes.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/.../operation.htm

My guess is this LEO was just using it as an excuse for a fishing expedition.
Furiousgeorge233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #37
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousgeorge233

My guess is this LEO was just using it as an excuse for a fishing expedition.
Yup, the old attitude check.

Hell, you can find enough riders manuals, including the STATE manuals, that say to rise up on the pegs to cross an obstruction---"but occifer, it looked like a 4 x 4 in the lane!". They don't got a foot to stand on.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #38
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
Not illegal in Vermont, and the state trooper thought it was a silly question when I asked. Some times of the year our small towns are clogged with tourists. I stand on the GS so I can better see folks pulling out...and so more of my high vis clothing is visible.

It sure is hard to keep track of all these silly rules when traveling from state to state!

Pete
Actually it is not legal to stand on the pegs on a motorcycle in Vermont. Or at least its worded such that you must be sitting:

1114. Riding on motorcycles and mopeds
(a) A person operating a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle or moped unless such motorcycle or moped is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle or moped at the rear or side of the operator.

(b) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle or moped only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on each side of the motorcycle or moped.

(c) No person shall operate a motorcycle or moped while carrying any package, bundle, or other article which prevents him from keeping both hands on the handlebars.

(d) No operator shall carry any person, nor shall any person ride, in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or moped or the view of the operator. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 1977, No. 20, 2.)

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/...&Section=01114

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #39
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 453
Wow I never even thought of this as an issue. I stand up about 15% of my street ridding so i can stretch, see over traffic, or just for fun (I stand 90% of my offroad riding). Apparently its illegal in WA state. I'll let you know when they start to enforce it in my town.
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #40
Scalpel 3000
Proficient Scootering

Oddometer: 181
I just realized something that might solve this problem, at least for me: my scooter seat tilts forward to access the under-seat storage.

All I have to do is leave it unlatched, and bungie cord the back lip of the seat to the back of my belt. When I stand up, the seat tilts up with me, and I remain seated while standing. Problem solved!
Scalpel 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #41
niceviewbehindbars OP
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel 3000
I just realized something that might solve this problem, at least for me: my scooter seat tilts forward to access the under-seat storage.

All I have to do is leave it unlatched, and bungie cord the back lip of the seat to the back of my belt. When I stand up, the seat tilts up with me, and I remain seated while standing. Problem solved!

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #42
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Nevada makes it simple -
NRS 486.191 Drivers position while operating.
1. A person driving a motorcycle or moped shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto.
2. A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped with the seat for the driver so positioned that the driver, when sitting astride the seat with the motorcycle or moped in a stopped and upright position, cannot reach the ground with both feet simultaneously.

However, talking to my friends in the Reno Blue Knights, they say that while you can run into a LEO that is so anal retentive they try to strictly enforce the wording the intent of that statute is to state you can't ride sitting on a fender, gastank, handlebars or a naked frame. They don't see how standing violates the intent of the law.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #43
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Illegal in British Columbia Canada.

Motorcycle Vehicle Act:

Quote:
Operating motorcycle

55 A person must not drive or operate a motorcycle on a highway unless seated in the driver's seat of the motorcycle.
Quote:
"highway" includes(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #44
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC
Illegal in British Columbia Canada.

Motorcycle Vehicle Act:

No problems yet and I stand everywhere when I'm under 100km/h.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #45
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
No problems yet and I stand everywhere when I'm under 100km/h.
Me too. Hopefully we won't run into an over-eager cop.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote