Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #76
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Why were you standing? How long were you standing? What kind of road? How was the traffic? What was your speed?

Unless you were obviously screwing around, I would take it to court. Dress nice, be polite, know what you're going to say. If you find references in any motorcycle safety literature talking about standing in certain instances, quote them.

IMHO, that law was passed to combat "jackassery" on motorcycles. If you weren't being a jackass, I think you have a chance of proving your case.

I go to court frequently, I've seen much worse behavior excused.

I would not hire a lawyer in this case, as its not complicated at all.

Good luck!
I was standing because I was on slab at about hour 11 of nearly constant riding. Simply a quick minute or two to stretch. I was on a major interstate doing the speed limit of about 75mph. Traffic was sparse while I was doing it.

Both hands on the grips. I installed ROX Risers to allow a very natural stance (no bending) so I can ride my GSA comfortable in both off and on road situations.

The only thing discouraging me from taking it to court is the county I was cited in is 3 hours away from where I live. I would have to take an entire day off of work to roll the dice with the judge. I think it is very reasonable that I could get the charges dismissed, But then again if it goes south and the judge sides with the Trooper I worry about the whole thing that a fine of up to $500 can be imposed bla bla bla shit written on the back of ticket.

But I am still thinking about it!!!

My point of my original post was to let other riders in Florida be aware that the FHP is enforcing the fucked up law.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #77
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,527
No idea if It is legal or not in germany, But I was so enthused from standing up on my now again running GS this weekend that I did by reflex on the CBR this morning!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #78
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
The "Indian Larry" scenario.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #79
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
I got pulled over in Cave Creek AZ. Let me go but lectured me. In Maine a patrol car going the other way caught me standing and turned on his lights. I rode a ways and pulled over while I could see in my mirror he was going to turn around. But he never showed. Must've got a call.

I don't understand why this no standing law. Dual sport motorcycles designed for standing. Seems foolish.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #80
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 662
No such law or statute that I know of in Wisconsin. If I need to stretch and air out the butt, while on my bike, I'll do it. Preferably not near an officer, but really it should not matter.

I did search WI statutes for cycles and found it is illegal to ride side-saddle on a motorcycle.

Once, a couple in my cycle club was riding HWY 55 in central Illinois, a wide open, four lane straight flat road. He had his left hand resting on her left knee for a while. Suddenly a booming voice anounced "BOTH hands on the handlebar!" This repeated again, and Dick noticed a cop car behind him. The trooper was bellowing out the command on the car PA system. Guess he had nothing better to do than stare at more corn.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #81
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Fight it. It is a stupid and unnecessary law.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #82
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Fight it. It is a stupid and unnecessary law.
Unnecessary, agreed; yet, the OP must face it in the real world.
We find it self evident that a DS bike can be ridden safely standing; whether others will tolerate it is a roll of the dice.

As the OP can't foresee winning this battle, he must decide whether the risk of a loss is worth the costs and sacrifice of a full day.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #83
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
I was standing because I was on slab at about hour 11 of nearly constant riding. Simply a quick minute or two to stretch. I was on a major interstate doing the speed limit of about 75mph. Traffic was sparse while I was doing it.

Both hands on the grips. I installed ROX Risers to allow a very natural stance (no bending) so I can ride my GSA comfortable in both off and on road situations.

The only thing discouraging me from taking it to court is the county I was cited in is 3 hours away from where I live. I would have to take an entire day off of work to roll the dice with the judge. I think it is very reasonable that I could get the charges dismissed, But then again if it goes south and the judge sides with the Trooper I worry about the whole thing that a fine of up to $500 can be imposed bla bla bla shit written on the back of ticket.

But I am still thinking about it!!!

My point of my original post was to let other riders in Florida be aware that the FHP is enforcing the fucked up law.
Fight it. Letting bogus shit stand just gives credibility to more bullshit laws.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #84
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I am fired up now!!!!

To save new readers of this post the need to scroll up to get my story, here it is the quick version:

Got pulled over and cited on my GSA a week ago for standing while riding on a Florida Interstate. Was a quick stand up to stretch and air out.

The citation showed a fine of $154.

Because the county I was cited is 3 hours away from where I reside I was leaning towards paying the fine and taking traffic school to avoid the 3 points on my record.

HOWEVER, I got a very nice letter in the mail today from the Clerk of the Courts -- Alachua County informing me that the amount of the fine shown on the ticket ($154) was actually the wrong amount.

The real amount is $1154.00 (ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED FIFTY FOUR DOLLARS and Zero cents)

Guess that solves my dilemma as to whether to fight this one or not.

Let's hope the citing officer does not show and make this easy. Otherwise its a crap shoot with the judge in my opinion with my limited experience in these situations.

I will plan on bringing photo's of me standing on the bike with big arrows pointing at my immediate access to all of the controls with ease and to demonstrate to the judge that the GSA can be safely operated in the standing position.

Some other poster recommended bringing in materials from rider safety courses that discuss safely operating these types of motorcycles in the standing position -- but I will have to research that and see if evidence exists that covers this type of riding on the open highway at speeds in excess of 60mph.

I am open for any other suggestions. And I hate to even ask it, but due to the large amount of the fine is it reasonable at this time to look into a lawyer?

This should be a no brainer but I have never contested a traffic citation before and have no idea how the "FUCKING SYSTEM" works, man!

Thanks all
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #85
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Hire an attorney or you will lose.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #86
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Hire an attorney or you will lose.
Hogwash. Depending on the facts of the case, A reasonably intelligent person can defend himself in traffic Court just as well as an attorney.

That said.......$1154????? I would seriously consider getting an attorney, just based on what you have to lose.

Simple risk/reward, however the risk in this case is tenfold.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #87
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,147
Time to lawyer up, pronto. Find a lawyer familiar with motorcycling.

The $1,154 is peanuts compared to the years-long reaming you will endure from your friendly insurance company if this ticket stands.

What statute were you cited under? Did that county just enact some sort of ridiculous anti-stunting law?

Also, make SURE you bring proof that you had insurance and a clean record at the time of the violation. This is a prerequisite to making any sort of deal.

Ask your lawyer about whether safety class materials or pictures would make any difference.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 04:46 PM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #88
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Eek

Absolutely shocked.

Yes, get a lawyer. Make sure it's one that knows to ride.

Be assured of the moral support of all riders!

Win
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #89
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Did that county just enact some sort of ridiculous anti-stunting law?
The whole state enacted anti-stunting laws a few years ago - I was threatened with a $1000+ ticket for doing 3 wheelies in a row, when it was just my front suspension rising and falling with each shift under hard acceleration.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #90
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Also, make SURE you bring proof that you had insurance...
Insurance is not a requirement in Florida, so I don't see any benefit to this point.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote