Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #91
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
Insurance is not a requirement in Florida, so I don't see any benefit to this point.
To show seriousness
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #92
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
So I googled Florida's Statute 316.2085(2) to double check the fine just to make sure the letter was not a fuck up.

Indeed:

1st offense is $1166 (they must be giving me a $10 break)
2nd offense is $2666 plus a year suspended license
3rd offense is $5000 plus 10 year suspended license and its a 3rd degree felony.

Time to call Saul!

All kidding aside, defending ones self in traffic court for a $150 ticket is one thing but dealing with shit like this is an entirely different matter. I need to find someone locally that actually knows the ins and outs of the system to navigate successfully thru this one. What is crazy is ticket cost wise, it is cheaper to drive around without an infant in an approved car seat (around $200) than it is for an individual to "improperly" ride a motorcycle.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #93
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
I had a friend who popped a wheelie across the crown of the road while crossing an intersection. A cop lit him up and he ran. It is hard for cops to follow into the woods and take the turns that a DR-Z 400 can. A ticket of over a thousand dollars is motivation to run and not get caught. I don't blame him for running. That is excessive. A few hundred dollars and he would have stopped and just been mad, but who can afford that kind of ticket?

In some counties like Pinellas, Florida, I am told they will also confiscate your bike if they deem your actions to be stunting. I was popping some small wheelies while frustrated with traffic and my buddy freaked out telling me the above consequences. I knocked it off real quick.

DirtMedic screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 08:05 PM
DirtMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #94
Glenn Rightsell
Glenn Rightsell

Oddometer: 2
Standing on a Bike or Motorcyle?

As we all have probly seen or heard of a Biker named Indian Larry.His trademark pose was to stand on his seat.This is also what caused his demise!
My incident was the cop who pulled us over that time I had two girls on my bike.
I didnt get a ticket after he got his thrills pulling us over .I was told to be careful.
Glenn Rightsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #95
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rightsell View Post
As we all have probly seen or heard of a Biker named Indian Larry.His trademark pose was to stand on his seat.This is also what caused his demise!
My incident was the cop who pulled us over that time I had two girls on my bike.
I didnt get a ticket after he got his thrills pulling us over .I was told to be careful.

To make this clear to all readers regarding my contribution to this thread: I was NOT standing on my seat, wheeling, stunting, ridding side-fucking-saddle, etc... I was simply standing on the foot pegs momentarily to stretch. Both hands on the bars, light traffic, zero cross winds.
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #96
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I'm a former Florida LEO. I'd would fight this ticket. A fine of this amount is absurd and a lot of judges know it. The only risk is that you are in some podunk FL county where traffic citation revenues are a large source of income. You can also hope that the trooper doesn't show up (he may be on midnight shift at the tinme of the court date) . In that case, the judge would dismiss the ticket.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #97
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Rightsell View Post
Standing on the seat didn't cause his untimely demise.
Falling off and breaking his coconut open because the stupid fuck wasn't wearing a helmet, caused his demise.
And not a single fuck was given by me.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #98
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
The Province of British Colombia here in Canada just passed a law (last year) making it Illegal to ride standing on the pegs:

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/05...aws-and-flaws/

Fucking typical Canadian blanket policy making from people who are immensly talented at ignoring logic and hard facts.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #99
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Ironically those riders responsible for all this nonsense are the first to proclaim "I'm not hurting anybody".
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #100
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Damn that is a hell of a ticket. I have not been able to find any laws for NC in regard to standing on the pegs while riding but I am sure there is something in place.

I sometimes stand on the pegs in slow moving traffic to cool off some or to get a better view of what is going on. Luckily, I have passed cops several times with no consequences. I guess I will need to be more careful in the future.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #101
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
Hogwash. Depending on the facts of the case, A reasonably intelligent person can defend himself in traffic Court just as well as an attorney.
That may be objectively true in that there's really nothing complicated about defending a traffic ticket and your average "layperson" can certainly handle it, but I can tell you from experience that most courts won't treat you the same way that they would treat your attorney.

Courts tend to cut deals when there is an attorney involved, just to get them out the door, but if you're representing yourself, there's a much higher chance that the city attorney and judge will just bend you over a barrel. It's not right and it's not fair, but you can go in there and say the exact same things that an attorney would say, and still come out with a worse deal than you would have if you'd hired an attorney to say those things for you.

So, like you said, when the amount's low it's still probably worth it to just have a go at it yourself and save yourself the legal fees, but for a $1000+ ticket, you'd be foolish not to pay an attorney a few hundred bucks to deal with it.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #102
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Three Words

Pre-Paid Legal Services such as Legal Shield are worth it and come in handy in these type of circumstances. (IMO)
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #103
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
Sometimes I think the only reason the country hasn't imploded yet is because the majority of cops on the street still have and exercise good judgement based on common decency.

I try not to get angry at people who work for a system that insists the solution to lawbreaking is to write more laws.

Unfortunately, man is so catastrophically stupid that even 2,500 years after the Greeks, he has not yet figured out that ticketing people for standing on footpegs designed for feet while letting executives gamble billions of dollars collected from taxes creates a basic cultural disrespect for the concept of law that cannot be fixed by writing more stupid laws.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #104
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
+1
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #105
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
WA. does have a law against it... but its a silly law.
It is, in the various incarnations, an anti-stunting law, because existing laws were "too vague".

I've been told nobody ever gets cited for them that don't ask for it. I know people that have been cited for them.

Pay your money, take your chances.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote