User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #121
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
My Fooking Case

I am glad people are still following this one!

I have my court date this upcoming Tuesday (11/5).
I have spent less that 17 seconds conversing with my lawyer over the phone. Both he and the court are about 3 hours away. No idea what his plan is.

I asked him specifically; "What is your strategy on how you plan on presenting this?" His response; "Matt, we are going to deal with it when we get there."

WTF!!!!

I figure that since all of my best riding adventures so far were taking the unknown paths why not take this sketchy (court) path too!

I will be devastated emotionally if I lose and have to pay out $1154 plus court cost though. That is a lot of gas, tires and hotels for tripping.

More to come Tuesday afternoon. If I am not in some fucking pit of hell jail cell I will post up an update!!!
mjfields_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #122
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfields_228 View Post
I am glad people are still following this one!

I have my court date this upcoming Tuesday (11/5).
I have spent less that 17 seconds conversing with my lawyer over the phone. Both he and the court are about 3 hours away. No idea what his plan is.

I asked him specifically; "What is your strategy on how you plan on presenting this?" His response; "Matt, we are going to deal with it when we get there."

WTF!!!!

I figure that since all of my best riding adventures so far were taking the unknown paths why not take this sketchy (court) path too!

I will be devastated emotionally if I lose and have to pay out $1154 plus court cost though. That is a lot of gas, tires and hotels for tripping.

More to come Tuesday afternoon. If I am not in some fucking pit of hell jail cell I will post up an update!!!
Don't like the sound of that lawyer---either he has no clue or plans on cutting a plea deal with the DA in the hall before court = u get screwed. He cuts the deal, tells you it's your "best option", collects his fee. Ka-ching.

Get a second opinion and consider firing the guy you have.

You can tell the judge you have been poorly advised legally, your lawyer refused to communicate with your before the court date (he has) and ask for a continuance to seek other counsel. You can also file a complaint with the legal board about the lawyer. Not discussing your case with you before court is a no-no. BTDT got screwed. You can appeal how the court handles things, but not easy to do so with how your lawyer handles things.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #123
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
I am betting the legal board does nothing unless they have lots of complaints.

You should get a continuance. The judge will ask you lawyer if he talked to you. Do not surprised if he lies.

I was young and dumb once, and had young and dumb friends. The legal aid lawyer at our university was top notch, case dismissed. The other guy, eventually years later went to jail over some business venture.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #124
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,002
The Idaho motorcycle hand book ( the one they give you to learn the
laws pertinent to the motorcycle test) , show that the appropriate
time to stand while on your motorcycle is when encountering a obstacle
in the road such as a animal, debris or other obstruction.

don't know about you state but I'd copy the appropriate section from the Idaho (like America once was) motorcycle hand book and say I was avoiding an obstacle.

Fuck that cunt LEO, revenuer !!

A mans got to be free to ride as he sees fit.

Max
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #125
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I was glad to get rid of the cruiser and get the Bandit so I could once again stand up while going over railroad tracks and on really rough roads. The bandit isn't the best for standing but it'll do in a pinch. The OP has a bike built for it and still got a ticket by a revenue generator. Unbelievable that this is "zero tolerance" type crap that lumps you in with stunters doing wheelies down the interstate.

Do traffic judges have total discretion as to throwing something out if they think it was a stupid citation or are they constrained by the exact wording of the law? If it was a $100 ticket, it could be fought on principle but at $1200 and additional insurance costs this is out of hand.

I would make a great traffic judge. My only questions would be: was the driver/rider acting like an and was the driver/rider legitimately endangering others on the road? If not, you are free to go. Occasional wheelies would be frowned upon and would also be free to go.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #126
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
I would make a great traffic judge. My only questions would be: was the driver/rider acting like an and was the driver/rider legitimately endangering others on the road? If not, you are free to go. Occasional wheelies would be frowned upon and would also be free to go.

+1000
In all seriousness, I genuinely think people who don't think this is the right approach to motoring offences are incapable of rationale thought, to the point that it's a waste of time talking to them about it.

It just seems so patently obvious that this is right and that any other POV is retarded and/or revenue generation (or easy "criminals brought to justice" statistics nonsense) that this is one of those issues where I cannot respectfully agree to disagree.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #127
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
The Idaho motorcycle hand book ( the one they give you to learn the
laws pertinent to the motorcycle test) , show that the appropriate
time to stand while on your motorcycle is when encountering a obstacle
in the road such as a animal, debris or other obstruction.
Unfortunately there are a few "letter of the law" type LEOs out there and Idaho Statute will probably take precedence over a hand book.

TITLE 49 MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 6 RULES OF THE ROAD

49-665. Riding on motorcycles. A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached to it
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #128
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 503
^^^ That statute does not preclude momentarily standing on the footpegs to either reposition yourself or as part of maneuver to avoid an obstacle or debris in the road.

Hope your lawyer isn't a dumbass. Good luck!
Shadow 9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #129
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Interesting thread, I am not sure weather its legal over here either, I have though on several occasions stood up when riding in and out of city's because I have gotten cramp and if I hadn't I would have crashed.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #130
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
What he said.

Oh, and the first stunting charge the OPP laid against a biker standing on his pegs...he was riding a GS.
Is there a story online about this and do you know what the circumstances were and if the rider tried to fight it?
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #131
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
I got the chance to ask a police officer about this yesterday while getting my bike serviced. I was told that as long as you have both feet on the pegs (I.e. straddling the bike) that it is fine to stand while riding the bike. But if you side saddle or are otherwise "stunting" is were you run into trouble. This was an El Paso, TX officer, so YMMV.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #132
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
In Alaska, pretty much anything goes!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #133
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 274
Would you drive your car from the roof?
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #134
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 9er View Post
^^^ That statute does not preclude momentarily standing on the footpegs to either reposition yourself or as part of maneuver to avoid an obstacle or debris in the road.
Sure it does, "A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached to it" is pretty clear and it doesn't say anything about exceptions for repositioning or maneuvering.

That being said I stand on the pegs all the time on all different types of roads here and am not worried in the least about getting pulled over.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #135
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Sure it does, "A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached to it" is pretty clear and it doesn't say anything about exceptions for repositioning or maneuvering.
It also doesn't say that you cant ride while standing...on the seat
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote