Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #151
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
1) With 8" cases the widest point measures 32.5" With 10" cases you're looking at 36.5" (For comparison, the standard Pilots measure 39"). Stock handlebars with hand guards are about 36.5"
Sounds interesting.

Quote:
2) The German company, Hattech makes an exhaust where you can run a full size Pilot case without an exhaust cutout and without the need for a lowered exhaust. A few of our customers have this setup and it works well (and sounds great). This will also work for the V-Pilots (V-2 bags with Pilot Mounting System).
I was aware of this one. There is another one that might (!) be interesting but I don't have enough information about it:

It's a Keihan, build for enabling fullsize Vern's Worldbeater cases. The image suggests for me that it would either be really close or not fit with the Micatechs.

Link is here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188996

And the price seems to be right, too. Maybe you guys have some interest in hooking up and see whether it fits? Because for me it would mean ordering an exhaust AND a set of Micatechs which might not fit at all, while you might be able to work something out together.

Quote:
3) Interesting, we haven't considered it. We'll give it some thought. Tell us more about your interest - Like the Pilot mounts, but want a top loader?
Something like this. It might have to move the cases out a little bit to be able to open the lid properly.

Like, really small city / short trip cases - 20L to 25L each sounds about right. A small square alu box is just fine (maybe with rounded corners), overall width with that case mounted should not be more than 32", but the box should also be fairly small and light in itself, and most important, rather affordable.

Like raw aluminum cases the size of the typical BMW RT-P cases. Could be a square box, no hingle, a lid that goes on with a seal, maybe even delivered so that it could be powder coated locally or offer powder coating as an option. I would like this. Or, even nicer, really tightly pulled in Givi E21. I'd love it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #152
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I was aware of this one. There is another one that might (!) be interesting but I don't have enough information about it:

It's a Keihan, build for enabling fullsize Vern's Worldbeater cases. The image suggests for me that it would either be really close or not fit with the Micatechs.

Link is here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188996

And the price seems to be right, too. Maybe you guys have some interest in hooking up and see whether it fits? Because for me it would mean ordering an exhaust AND a set of Micatechs which might not fit at all, while you might be able to work something out together.
Interesting, we'll look into it.

Quote:
Something like this. It might have to move the cases out a little bit to be able to open the lid properly.

Like, really small city / short trip cases - 20L to 25L each sounds about right. A small square alu box is just fine (maybe with rounded corners), overall width with that case mounted should not be more than 32", but the box should also be fairly small and light in itself, and most important, rather affordable.

Like raw aluminum cases the size of the typical BMW RT-P cases. Could be a square box, no hingle, a lid that goes on with a seal, maybe even delivered so that it could be powder coated locally or offer powder coating as an option. I would like this. Or, even nicer, really tightly pulled in Givi E21. I'd love it.
Good feedback, Thank you.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #153
Norwood
2WBMW

Oddometer: 110
....and plenty of room for stickers too!

hey Micatech crew...completed my Alaska adventure this summer 16,748 sMiles ...fantastic but plenty of rain also....not a drop of water inside the Luggage...would say that Micatech made the whole journey, but I did lighten my load at mid point up the Haul Road...

At Wiseman, need to say they are mosquito proof too!

They do clean up well too!

Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #154
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Sounds great... it sounds like they also enhance your bike ownership experience, as they do for me. Easy access to the contents of your cases even when the bike is fully loaded... gotta like that...

Got pics?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #155
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Awesome photos, Norwood!

Thanks for the mosquito testing. Although, this one scared us a bit...
Old 12-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #156
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

V-Pilot Update

We took another look at the rear crossbar and decided to use another bullet mount. This set-up is very strong and rigid. The rear crossbar is laser-cut stainless steel. A few minor tweaks and we'll have these ready for sale in early 2011. Who's interested?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #157
cug
--

Quote:
We took another look at the rear crossbar and decided to use another bullet mount. This set-up is very strong and rigid. The rear crossbar is laser-cut stainless steel. A few minor tweaks and we'll have these ready for sale in early 2011. Who's interested?
It certainly looks really interesting. Could you take some more photos from different angles?

Views I'm interested in:

1) Full rear shot - from a few meters behind to get an impression.

2) Shot from above, exhaust side, straight down to see the clearance between seat / frame / signals / footpegs and the cases, to estimate whether narrower exhausts might fit in there.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #158
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It certainly looks really interesting. Could you take some more photos from different angles?

Views I'm interested in:

1) Full rear shot - from a few meters behind to get an impression.

2) Shot from above, exhaust side, straight down to see the clearance between seat / frame / signals / footpegs and the cases, to estimate whether narrower exhausts might fit in there.

Thanks!
Hey Cug,
We haven't forgotten - we've been away for the holidays. We'll get some new photos posted in 2011.

Happy New Years!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #159
cug
--

Quote:
Hey Cug,
We haven't forgotten - we've been away for the holidays. We'll get some new photos posted in 2011.

Happy New Years!
Thanks for looking into it. I'm not in a hurry getting luggage - anytime before April or even May will probably work just fine for me unless I see an irresistible offer for something that fits my needs: narrow, "balanced", and as boxy as useful.

Happy new year to all readers here.
Guido
Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #160
sunlinden
Fun Muncher

Oddometer: 107
I don't see the advantage to this new crossbar.
sunlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #161
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinden View Post
I don't see the advantage to this new crossbar.
If it went straight across, without the outward bends, the rear wheel mudguard would hit it.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #162
sunlinden
Fun Muncher

Oddometer: 107
i have the pilot cases on my 1200gs. didn't think that the mud flap would hit. i like the version i have as it looks looks more secure due to the drop in feature and would stay in even if I neglected to screw them in from the inside. This new design looks like it would fall out if not properly screwed in.
sunlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #163
GB
Mod Squad

If you look at where the V2's terminate, they are forward of the turn signals, the Pilots are larger and terminate aft of the turn signals so the cross bar is sitting further back than it would on these cases, so it clears the rear mudguard, but the V2's cross bar would be hit by the mudguard if it went straight across.. I'm not a spokes person for Micatech, but this is how I see it from my experience in owning both the Pilots and V2's.

The terminal blocks can be rotated and mounted in 4 different orientations. I had mine mounted at the 4 o'clock position, which isn't recommended in case you forget to secure them with the thumbscrews, but I did some "impromptu testing" without securing them and the cross bar never fell out because of the pressure the cases are exerting on it. It's a tight friction fit to install the cross bar, I wouldn't be worried about the V2 cross bar falling out, but the onus is on the owner to secure the cases to the bullets and to secure the cross bar. It's great to see Micatech listening to their customers and offering a smaller semi-side loading cases for people who feel the Pilot's are too big.. For me, there's no such thing as a case that's too big!! The bigger the better
Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #164
King Chicken
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question

I don't know if Micatech has any kind of Canadian representative or tour the Canadian Motorcycle show circuit, but I would surely love to see some here in Edmonton or Calgary at our Motorcycle Super Duper Mid-January "rub-your-noses-in-the-snow" Extravaganza.

Turning down the sarcasm some, I'm certain of getting Micatech V2's for my KLR and would just like an opportunity to see some in person to decide on 37L or 45L. Any idea if you'll have anyone showing the goods at our shows this year?

Edit: heh 2 posts, but I do a lot of lurking, and reading this thread hoping for more info. I'd like to think I spend too much time riding to post more.
King Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #165
GB
Mod Squad

Bob and Sue usually attend the big rallies and that's a good place for canucks to look, buy and install and ride home and cut the GST mafia out of the deal.. Your best bet is to ask Micatech to put you in touch with someone local to you who has a set of cases and you can check them out that way.