Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #166
King Chicken
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Bob and Sue usually attend the big rallies and that's a good place for canucks to look, buy and install and ride home and cut the GST mafia out of the deal.. Your best bet is to ask Micatech to put you in touch with someone local to you who has a set of cases and you can check them out that way.

Sounds good, I'll go to the show and see what I can see, then call Micatech directly for information. Appreciate the quick feedback.

Err, what big rallies are we talking about? I don't get to rallies much...
King Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #167
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 204
Magazine Advertisement

Thought we'd share with you the 2011 Micatech magazine ad. Check it out in BMW OTL, BMWON, and Backroads.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #168
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It certainly looks really interesting. Could you take some more photos from different angles?

Views I'm interested in:

1) Full rear shot - from a few meters behind to get an impression.

2) Shot from above, exhaust side, straight down to see the clearance between seat / frame / signals / footpegs and the cases, to estimate whether narrower exhausts might fit in there.

Thanks!
Sorry for the wait, cug. We're digging out from 20+ inches of snow - good time to work in the shop. Here's some photos.

1) Shot from the rear about 10 feet back. Zoomed in slightly so you don't get the distorted "wide angle" lens look.

2) It was a bit tricky to take the shot from above... Not sure it shows the detail you're looking for. It's one of those things that's best to see/touch in person. Ya know?

3) Here's another angle showing just a little more about that area between the bag, seat, muffler, wheel, etc.

We're making the final adjustments now and should have them ready for sale at the end of the month. Let us know if there's anything else.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #169
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micatech View Post
Sorry for the wait, cug. We're digging out from 20+ inches of snow - good time to work in the shop. Here's some photos.
Many, many thanks for the information and the photos. That help in itself makes me want to buy Micatech cases.

It looks to me though that the Keihan exhaust I mentioned earlier might not fit unfortunately - seems to be a bit tight. And I'm not crazy about lowering the exhaust and swapping the mounting of it back and forth all the time (for off-road vs. travel). Will have to think about it some more.

I definitely like the width of just 32.5" with the smaller cases, not sure though how I would fit all my stuff. I have no experience with side loaders, so I'm not sure how tight I can pack them. But it makes it clearer and clearer to me that one of your case systems is the right one for me. Awesome work you're doing there!
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #170
cug
--

And I have one more thing: I have a 2010 R1200GS with the new exhaust "flap". I still have no idea which exhaust / lowering kit I could use. I know a few exhaust systems where I tried email inquiries re 2010 models.

1) Hattech double exhaust
2) Keihan exhaust (no answer to my emails ... )
3) MetalMule exhaust system

Luggage wise I'm pretty much settled on a Micatech system now, absolutely awesome help from you guys! I'm still undecided which system:
  • I still like top loaders better than side loaders, stuffing crap in small cases is a bit easier, not so much a problem if you can fit everything easily, but it might be a challenge when going two up.
  • A lot of top loaders have the problem of a "lip" in the top opening that catches liners easily, like this:

I really don't like this, but I also understand why it's done. Still asking whether this could be done better.
  • Still looking for an exhaust / pannier combination that fits my 2010 model. I'm willing to buy an exhaust but I'd like to know whether it fits before I spend the money. Only one of the exhausts is advertised to fit a 2010 model: the Metal Mule. And I'm totally willing to buy one as long as I know it'll fit.

I know I'm a pain in the rear, but I'm planning to keep the bike for a fairly long time and try to avoid mistakes I have done before on other bikes. Don't like to make many compromises anymore.

So many open questions ...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #171
Shane Stump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Thought we'd share with you the 2011 Micatech magazine ad. Check it out in BMW OTL, BMWON, and Backroads.

Nice!

Couple questions for the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200:

1) Will I be able to get 45L cases for Left & Right?

2) Any ideas on the large top case fitting for the Super Tenere?

I will definitely be getting your cases for my Super Tenere!

Thanks,

Shane
Shane Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #172
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Quote:
  • I still like top loaders better than side loaders, stuffing crap in small cases is a bit easier, not so much a problem if you can fit everything easily, but it might be a challenge when going two up.
After owning a few bikes with clam shell side loaders, I hated side loaders, you open the door and your stuff falls into the lid shell. I was skeptical when I bought the Pilot semi-sidloaders. I could not be more pleased. They enhanced my GS ownership. You can stuff them just as much or even more than a top loader, and the door has a reinforcement bar so it doesn't flex when you push against the overloaded case to close it. No matter how loaded the cases were, when I opened the door nothing falls out. In fact, one time I did an (unintentional) test, I was riding the bike at 70 mph with the Pilot's door open, and hanging down almost 170 degree, I had a bunch of stuff in there, including an DSLR camera bag with gloves stacked on top... I was amazed that I hadn't lost anything.

For the oilhead GS, I think the Pilot cases are the natural choice because the cases conform to the lines of the bike, using their sleek bullet mounts, so when the cases are removed, the mounting system is nearly invisible. Storage capacity is also unmatched.

I have a set of 8" V2 for my 800GS, shown previously in this thread. They're very nice cases, but if I had a 12GS again I'd get the Pilots, just because I like to carry lots of stuff with me and the smaller cases make me pack less, plus if you're riding 2 up, it's nice to have lots of room.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #173
cug
--

Question: has anybody tried to use the Kriega Luggage Bag as a liner in any Micatech case?

The bag looks great if you're "moteling", just pull the bags out of the cases and you don't have any road dirt in the room. The measurements suggest that they fit even the 8" V2, but it might be tough to squeeze them through the side "door":

Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #174
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
Any idea when I can get a set of panniers for the new Tiger 800XC?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #175
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
And I have one more thing: I have a 2010 R1200GS with the new exhaust "flap". I still have no idea which exhaust / lowering kit I could use. I know a few exhaust systems where I tried email inquiries re 2010 models.

We have a customer with a setup. We're pinging him for details and will let you know.

Quote:
A lot of top loaders have the problem of a "lip" in the top opening that catches liners easily. I really don't like this, but I also understand why it's done. Still asking whether this could be done better.
We're always thinking and tinkering
Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #176
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stump View Post
1) Will I be able to get 45L cases for Left & Right?
Yes.

Quote:
2) Any ideas on the large top case fitting for the Super Tenere?
We're looking into it. Most likely, it won't be available until after your bikes are delivered. (We'll need a bike to play with)

Quote:
I will definitely be getting your cases for my Super Tenere!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #177
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFreakRob View Post
That bike looks so bad ass...

We'll get back to you shortly on this one...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #178
cug
--

Quote:
We have a customer with a setup. We're pinging him for details and will let you know.
I'm also doing some inquiries ...

Quote:
We're always thinking and tinkering
Of course - nature of business! And you are doing a tremendous job taking customer requests into consideration, it's always important to know what customers want so you can make a conscious decision to ignore it ...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #179
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFreakRob View Post
We talked with SW_Motech. They are designing racks now. When they're ready, the V2's will mate up well.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #180
Micatech OP
Motorcycle Luggage

Quote:

Hi Cug,

We haven't forgotten about you. We pinged our customer but haven't heard back . Maybe he's out riding the world

We're pretty sure he has a 2010 with the Hattech exhaust. He's running the Pilots without issues. If this is the case, the V-Pilots would also fit just time. Best to double check with Hattech to make sure the exhaust will fit the bike though. Let us all know what you find out.