Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #16
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole
Excellent and thorough write up!!

At a stopped position, how do the Yam and BMW compare in terms of flat footing (ie; seat height)?
I only tried the seat in the high position, it was closer to a GSA than a GS. There is also an optional lower seat for the short legged.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
South Africa had the media launch of the new XT1200Z Super Ténéré earlier this week. They invited me along as a representative of our local Adventure Forum, the Wilddogs.

This is an unprecedented step for any manufacturer, it says a lot about their confidence in the product.

Keep in mind here that I am not a journalist and will not attend any further launches, so I am free to give my opinion be it good or bad. In fact, quoting from the original invite “he/she must be prepared to write an objective as possible ride impression on the forum for the benefit of the forum members”.

Well, I'll do just that. Let's get to it.

The shaft drive have the more conventional double sided swingarm, with the control arm at the top, out of harms way.

This allows for carrier bearings to be fitted both sides of the wheel. I expect this design to be more reliable than BMW's single sided swingarm. On a single sided swingarm the bearing has to deal not only with the normal stresses but also the directional stress, by having to keep the wheel straight. Time will tell I suppose.

Weight

This has to be the most talked about aspect when the specs were released. Weight with full tank – 261kg.

I can give you finality on that. No need to argue or discuss anymore, write it down, roll it up in a ball and chuck it in the rubbish bin. There is no weight problem to talk about. Not in relation to it's peers.

I rode it, I put it down, I picked it up, there is no issue.

The weight feels exactly the same as the GS when picking it up, and riding and moving it about at slow speed, it borders on feeling lighter than the GS.

The only time I ever noticed the weight was when trying to steer with the pegs at over 100km/h, then it was noticeably reluctant to change it's line. Jan du Toit reckons the BMW moves easier because of the boxer lay out. The Super Ten's side by side layout has the spinning motor creating a centrifugal force that resists rapid direction changes. It makes sense to some extent.

So there you have it, we can move on, nothing to see here.

metaljockey, for a Dodgy SOB you make one Hell of a independent motojournalist !
Truly a world class effort on all fronts !

I couldn't relocate your quote, regarding the best incentive to BMW continuing to refine their product, being strong competition...

If I was a flag waver for BMW's competition (I'm not), perhaps my only strong concern with Yamaha's XT1200Z release, would be that the GS1200 platform they concentrated all their efforts on, is already six years into production...

A great read !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #18
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Really useful writeup.Thanks tonnes. You explained a way around the lack of turn off for the ABS.Thanks. So my concern is the range.MPG & capacity of the gas tank. I ride double so do you have a maximum total max weight for baggage ,rider ,& passenger ? Did you carry extra headlight bulbs,oil & a spare rear end bearing assembly like some BMW riders do? ANY word on Canadian or USA availability? Am lusting to return to the fold of Japanese bikes. I take my wife deep into back country on the GS but worry about reliability all the time. Thanks again for the great report. Truely.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
Thank you, well done!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thanks, metaljockey, for taking the time to do the write-up.

For those of us of more familiar with British gallons, 16 km/l is about the same as 45 mpg. Not too bad at all, compared to my TDM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
And a big thanks from me too, metaljockey.

Good review!

Also good to see some real choice in the big battle cruiser end of the market.

Now you have cheap and Solid (Stroms), Fast and furious Off R (KTM) F&F On Road (Duc), Solid all rounder scratched plastic(YAMAHA) Solid All rounder busted metal (BMW), Sorry Had to chuck that in

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
thanks MJ for the detailed feedback.. a little birdy tells me it's coming to Canada..

Did you ask the Yamaha reps why the ABS cannot be turned off and what did they say?

Is there a gear indicator on the LCD display?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #23
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Fuel economy;

16 kilometres per litre

37.6 miles per US gallon

45.1 miles per imperial gallon

Imperial gallon = 4.55 litres
US gallon = 3.79 litres

1 kilometre = 0.62 statute miles

BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #24
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
If I was a flag waver for BMW's competition (I'm not), perhaps my only strong concern with Yamaha's XT1200Z release, would be that the GS1200 platform they concentrated all their efforts on, is already six years into production...

A great read !

996DL
Quite correct.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
Really useful writeup.Thanks tonnes. You explained a way around the lack of turn off for the ABS.Thanks. So my concern is the range.MPG & capacity of the gas tank. I ride double so do you have a maximum total max weight for baggage ,rider ,& passenger ? Did you carry extra headlight bulbs,oil & a spare rear end bearing assembly like some BMW riders do? ANY word on Canadian or USA availability? Am lusting to return to the fold of Japanese bikes. I take my wife deep into back country on the GS but worry about reliability all the time. Thanks again for the great report. Truely.
Tank capacity is 23l. I am nots ure about the max weight, but with a beter suspension, it should at least be equal to the GS.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #26
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
thanks MJ for the detailed feedback.. a little birdy tells me it's coming to Canada..

Did you ask the Yamaha reps why the ABS cannot be turned off and what did they say?

Is there a gear indicator on the LCD display?
We get the normal excuse about Europeans using these bikes on asphalt.

There is no gear indicator, however, I never wondered if I was in top gear, you only shift to top at about 150km/h. By the way, over the two days I did not have one missed gear or false neutral.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #27
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 358
thanks for the report, very informative
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
azytres79
n00b

Oddometer: 5
all about price

here in colombia the supertenere is cheaper than a gs the full edition of the supertenere is offered with :

ALUMINIUM SIDE CASE 32L LH
ALUMINIUM SIDE CASE 32L RH
HEAD LIGHT PROTECTOR KIT
XT1200Z SIDE CASE STAY KIT
XT1200Z SKID PLATE ALUMINUIM
XT1200Z ALUMINIUM TOP CASE 30L
ST INNER BAG TENERE SIDE CASE x 2
INNER BAG TENERE TOP CASE
TANK BAG XT1200Z
FOG LAMP KIT
XT1200Z LED BLINKER SET ARROW CARBON
WIND DEFLECTOR KIT
XT1200Z ENGINE GUARD
XT1200Z TANK PAD
XT1200Z HIGH SCREEN SUPER TENERE

and is about 3000 dolars cheaper than the bmw, and the first edition is 5500 cheaper

i really love the gs and i was about to buy one but the super tenere price is a desition changer !!!! so the yamaha will be in my garage. it's suposed to be delivered the first week of july

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

azytres79 screwed with this post 05-29-2010 at 10:52 AM
azytres79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #29
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
Would you happen to have noticed how the wind protection is on the lower torso and legs? Would it be on par with the GS or the GSA?

The GSA's large tank acts as an excellent fairing, and it appears from the pics that the width of the tank and rad seem to offer the same kind of wind protection...
Old 05-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #30
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
a teribble report :)

Now I feel even worse for being poor.
I have as many of you have been looking forward to this bike but secretly hoping it will be crap and then feel better about myself not being able to aford one. But now this!!! It is good, Real good , and I will have to stay with my thumper.
I guess I will have to wait a year or two and get a second hand one.
In any case a big thanks for a real pro piece of writing.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote