User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #46
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
No info about off road.

This piece gives no indication regarding the off roading.
From what I read from other writers the bike is good off road and seems to be better ( or so I understood) to the GS.
I know that this is not a "offroad" bike but for me this would be a major factor in going for the ST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Hey MJ,

I'm wondering if you agree with the overall assessment of Kevin Ash's verdict on this bike:

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ya...A9r%C3%A9-test
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
Yes, largely I do.

My comparison between the GS and the ST is based on my GS's, which is a 2004 and was a 2006. So the 2010 GS may well be marginally better in the power stakes.

Also, in South Africa the ST is priced at about $2700 cheaper than a comparably specced GS.

I would not call the bike bland, but it certainly is a more budget version, not having ESA etc. Budget version is also a strong word when taking into account that you get better brakes and suspension than a GS can offer.
Thanks MJ...

Too bad Yamaha cheapened out on certain aspects of the bike, such as the lack of braided brake hoses, and the lack of instrument panel control on the switch gear and thumb screw adjustable windscreen.. and some of the other things you mentioned.. overall, not a deal breaker..

here's to hoping the S10 will be imported here, and soon.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #48
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
How you making out with that F800GS GB ?...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #49
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
How you making out with that F800GS GB ?...

996DL

.. but it's not a touring bike, although I'm using it as such, as well as a daily rider / commuter.. looking to get a sport touring bike that's not an ST bike with a full fairing.. under consideration.. this bike here and the Ducati MTS12...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #50
996DL
Buell me

Bluntly put GB, are you as critical with the cough, ahem , imperfections/budgetary constraints of the F800GS model on it's threads, as you have been with the XT1200Z and MS1200 ? You seem to set the bar extraordinarily high with these two new upstarts, I'm hoping you're as critical of your own mount, in the Parallel Universe section.

I've basically skipped reviewing the GS Rotax twin threads, now they've been moved from Beasts...

996DL
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #51
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Very good review MJ, looking at the whole thing objectively and from an ADV'ers point of view.

After disabling the ABS like you did, can you just bolt the sensor back on and have it function as normal? I think the Beemers usually have to be reset by the dealer (or a GS911) after throwing an ABS code....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #52
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Very good review MJ, looking at the whole thing objectively and from an ADV'ers point of view.

After disabling the ABS like you did, can you just bolt the sensor back on and have it function as normal? I think the Beemers usually have to be reset by the dealer (or a GS911) after throwing an ABS code....
Bolt back on and all is operational again.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #53
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Bluntly put GB, are you as critical with the cough, ahem , imperfections/budgetary constraints of the F800GS model on it's threads, as you have been with the XT1200Z and MS1200 ? You seem to set the bar extraordinarily high with these two new upstarts, I'm hoping you're as critical of your own mount, in the Parallel Universe section.

I've basically skipped reviewing the GS Rotax twin threads, now they've been moved from Beasts...

996DL
When addressing an individual, it's best done by PM so as not to clutter the thread with personal chit chat, but since you asked, this one time, I will reply publicly.

When you read reviews in the moto magazines, by and large they highlight the positive and fluff or completely ignore the negative, in order to satisfy their advertisers and give the reader wood for the bike in question. You sometimes have to read between the lines to spot something negative about a reviewed bike.

MJ's review is fair and honest, and he has no vested interest.. tells it like he sees it and I respect his opinions. I for one want to know about the negatives of a bike I'm interested in so I can see whether or not I can live with those flaws.. Every bike has flaws, my 800GS' stock suspension is mediocre; easily remedied. Leaky Multistrada panniers without aftermarket options may be a deal breaker. Or a 2000 mile lifespan for Multistrada tires if this proves to be the norm is also a deal breaker for ME as a touring bike. Getting wood over a bike is one thing, living with it for the long term is another matter.

I'm trying to learn what the flaws of the SuperTenere are to see if it's something I can overlook, remedy or pass on the bike.. Not being able to disable the ABS on the S10, FOR ME, is not a big deal. I won't be going around the TAT with it.. but rubber brake hoses and there are a bunch of them all terminating under the seat at the ABS module is more difficult to remedy. I'm sure if the bike is successful, in time the aftermarket will offer a complete braided hoses kit, as is available for the FJR.

Still, the overall package looks like it would work for me as a touring bike but only if the bike is sold here..

Capesci?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM   #54
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
cheers metal jockey, very good review....
Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #55
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
When addressing an individual, it's best done by PM so as not to clutter the thread with personal chit chat, but since you asked, this one time, I will reply publicly.

Capesci?

996DL
Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #56
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
but rubber brake hoses and there are a bunch of them all terminating under the seat at the ABS module is more difficult to remedy.
Well BMW used rubber dingy's on their GS'ses with ABS too, the even told their customers ABS wouldnot work with steelbraided :-)
Stubborn as i am i just exchanged them, no prob, if you don't have two left hands it willbe no problem if you fancy braided.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #57
Sp!ke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
A very well written review and one that in the main I agree with. Overall I too was impressed with the bike.

Without meaning to be pedantic though there are one or two areas where you've not got it quite right.

You don't need to stop the bike to switch between sport and touring mode, Just pull in the clutch and let the revs drop and you can change it on the move. It is the traction control settings that have to be changed at a standstill.

As for the traction control settings, setting 1 is for road use with 2 for offroad use (allowing some slip) and not the otherway around.

The ABS can be bypassed by removing the fuse for the speedo under the rhs fairing panel. No need to pull the sensor out the front wheel.

The rubber footpeg inserts arent removable, the rubber compresses when stood on the pegs allowing extra grip from the bear traps.

Other than that I think you're pretty spot on.

I would add that both the panniers and top box are plastic fashion items and not suitable for adventure riding. A 5mph tumble will likely result in this (see below) the same fall also creased the thin steel handlebars requiring replacement.

Sp!ke screwed with this post 06-04-2010 at 03:32 PM
Sp!ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #58
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Wow, nice review, some small things though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
The Super Ten comes with wide pegs and removable rubber inserts standard. That's how it should be, if you make a bike that is going to be applied off sealed roads, then it should have wide pegs to stand on.
You don't have to remove them, they are recessable, very smart thinking of teh sons of Iwata :-)

Quote:
The shaft drive have the more conventional double sided swingarm, with the control arm at the top, out of harms way.

This allows for carrier bearings to be fitted both sides of the wheel. I expect this design to be more reliable than BMW's single sided swingarm. On a single sided swingarm the bearing has to deal not only with the normal stresses but also the directional stress, by having to keep the wheel straight. Time will tell I suppose.
Yup, a wise decision, the single sided swingarm can't handle realoffroad beatings, have had my share of ruined bearings and popped seals, not to speak about wrecked cardanic joints (the tenere has axchangeble bearings in it !)

Quote:
I do believe that the BM design makes for a rim that is more resistant to dents, as it has a very thick leading edge.
Nope, the choice to put the spokes crossing, gives the rim the chance to warp sideways, where conventional spokes form a triangle the most stable configuration (i'm o my 4th set of wheels with my beemer (in 600+kkm though))

Try to think of it as chairs, a tree pegged stool is alwys stable on rocky underground, but a four pegged stool has one feet loose, thats the structural problem with BMW wheels, a little dent in the sidewall loosens the spokes there and warps the wheel in no time.

Quote:
The weight feels exactly the same as the GS when picking it up, and riding and moving it about at slow speed, it borders on feeling lighter than the GS.
Nice to hear,i'll have to wait two weeks to enjoy it :-(

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #59
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Sounds like the Yamaha has about the same range as the standard GS,that right? I'll take rubber brake lines on a Japanese ABS anyday over steel lines on the beemer. Had nothing but lots of trouble with the beemer's brakes. And I'd expect any substantial complaints by customers will be addressed relatively quickly by Yamaha---just as it did with the heat problem on early FJR's. Yammy seems to be very responsive unlike BMW's long standing rear end problems( and ABS). Just a thought. Another question: twice my GS's external ABS switches(brake peddle,brake lever) got dirt in them causing a malfunction in the brakes themselves(one occurred at a most dangerous time). I've never heard of or experienced such stuff on Japanese ABS systems. The Tenere have anything that crude? Thanks again for the most useful writeup. Is exceptional.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #60
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,357
MJ,
Thanks for the informative review. My dealer is puting in accessories on my ST as I write...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ke

The ABS can be bypassed by removing the fuse for the speedo under the rhs fairing panel. No need to pull the sensor out the front wheel. ........
Spike, does this also disable the TCS as per MJ's observations.

Ray
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote