Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #61
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray
MJ,
Thanks for the informative review. My dealer is puting in accessories on my ST as I write...

Spike, does this also disable the TCS as per MJ's observations.

Ray
Don't forget the pics OGR
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #62
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
And I'd expect any substantial complaints by customers will be addressed relatively quickly by Yamaha---just as it did with the heat problem on early FJR's. .

Really? Go talk to 2nd Gen FJR owners. Google FJR spider and see what you find.. The wiring harness on every 2nd Gen FJR will fry itself, not if but when, disabling the bike suddenly.. time or mileage are no indication of when it will occur. FJR owners are trying to get a NHTSA recall happening but Yamaha won't do it, they will only replace the friend harnesses on a case by case basis, but with the exact same harness, but the problem is that they upped the output of the stator on the 2nd Gen FJR but did not update that part of the harness. There's a member of the FJR site who's put together a replacement harness for those who wish to buy it. I was teetering on the point of buying an FJR but the "spider" issue put me off, and this issue has been ongoing starting with the 06 models, so Yamaha has had plenty of time to correct the problem, either by a redesign or a recall and they have done neither.. and let's not forget the ticking valve problems of the early FJR's... I'm now hoping Yamaha will bring the SuperTenere here..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #63
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ke
A very well written review and one that in the main I agree with. Overall I too was impressed with the bike.

Without meaning to be pedantic though there are one or two areas where you've not got it quite right.

You don't need to stop the bike to switch between sport and touring mode, Just pull in the clutch and let the revs drop and you can change it on the move. It is the traction control settings that have to be changed at a standstill.

As for the traction control settings, setting 1 is for road use with 2 for offroad use (allowing some slip) and not the otherway around.

The ABS can be bypassed by removing the fuse for the speedo under the rhs fairing panel. No need to pull the sensor out the front wheel.

The rubber footpeg inserts arent removable, the rubber compresses when stood on the pegs allowing extra grip from the bear traps.

Other than that I think you're pretty spot on.
RE: Sport/ touring switching on the fly - yes, I slipped there, you are quite correct, it was pointed out in the South African thread too.

Slip control - agreed

ABS - If the speedo fuse is pulled, what else stops working? Or is the fuse ABS specific?
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #64
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Nope, the choice to put the spokes crossing, gives the rim the chance to warp sideways, where conventional spokes form a triangle the most stable configuration (i'm o my 4th set of wheels with my beemer (in 600+kkm though))

Try to think of it as chairs, a tree pegged stool is alwys stable on rocky underground, but a four pegged stool has one feet loose, thats the structural problem with BMW wheels, a little dent in the sidewall loosens the spokes there and warps the wheel in no time.
(
Very interesting, it makes sense.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #65
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
Another question: twice my GS's external ABS switches(brake peddle,brake lever) got dirt in them causing a malfunction in the brakes themselves(one occurred at a most dangerous time). I've never heard of or experienced such stuff on Japanese ABS systems. The Tenere have anything that crude? Thanks again for the most useful writeup. Is exceptional.
I think dropping any bike in sand or gravel is going to have a risk of brake sensors on the levers getting fouled.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #66
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Thanks MJ for the detailed review.

We got the oportunity to test the new beast off-road, here are a few pictures:

A few more here

The ABS fuse is easily reachable and nothing else quits working.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #67
GB
Mod Squad

Nice shots, thanks for the pics to more...

Yamaha is really going to have work at promoting adventure ride events and not just rely on dealers to move bikes.. BMW has done a great job in marketing the image of the rider and the bike... Yamaha needs to do a simliar job to get this bike moving off the show room floors and as more ADV riders see them on the road, the more popular they will become.. Now bring this bike over here and give us a chance to buy one!

Carlos M:
It was my understanding that when you removed the pilion seat, you had a flat deck that joined with the rear rack. I'm looking at your photo gallery and I see this pic below, is this showing only what's below the rider's seat? I don't see a the pillion deck, would you be able to shed some light on this? A pic of the pillion deck would be nice.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #68
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Really? Go talk to 2nd Gen FJR owners. Google FJR spider and see what you find.. The wiring harness on every 2nd Gen FJR will fry itself, not if but when, disabling the bike suddenly.. time or mileage are no indication of when it will occur.
every? Got numbers? This has not come anywhere near what the bitch level was that the ignition switches got to. Yes. There have been spiders overheated. The cause is still not really clear, though.

Quote:
FJR owners are trying to get a NHTSA recall happening but Yamaha won't do it...
Here's the bottom line, though. The NHTSA guys aren't getting the owners to file reports that NHTSA needs to make this a focus topic. Don't believe me? Check for yourself here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fectsearch.cfm

People are quick to bitch and there have been overheated spiders. But I was involved with the switch recall effort and am not seeing the numbers of reports on this issue. Especially "every"

NHTSA has another problem and that's simple limits to their manpower. The Office of Defect Investigations is not as big as you might think. (I know a few of them.) And they have to spread those same people among the Toyota issues, Chrysler issues, etc. It really is a "squeeky wheel" approach but that is the way defect investigations typically work in both Gummint and industry.

As I wrote in the other Super T thread where you had something similar, I've personally seen Yam stand up for their products, but it has taken time. 'm taking the time to put this in this thread because that summary should apply to either the FJR or the SuperT

Checks
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #69
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Really? Go talk to 2nd Gen FJR owners. Google FJR spider and see what you find.. The wiring harness on every 2nd Gen FJR will fry itself, not if but when, disabling the bike suddenly.. time or mileage are no indication of when it will occur. FJR owners are trying to get a NHTSA recall happening but Yamaha won't do it, they will only replace the friend harnesses on a case by case basis, but with the exact same harness, but the problem is that they upped the output of the stator on the 2nd Gen FJR but did not update that part of the harness. There's a member of the FJR site who's put together a replacement harness for those who wish to buy it. I was teetering on the point of buying an FJR but the "spider" issue put me off, and this issue has been ongoing starting with the 06 models, so Yamaha has had plenty of time to correct the problem, either by a redesign or a recall and they have done neither.. and let's not forget the ticking valve problems of the early FJR's... I'm now hoping Yamaha will bring the SuperTenere here..
I bought an 06' FJR after Yamaha addressed the heat problems--a problem I encountered on my 03' Honda ST1300 & sold the damn thing because of. Honda had petitions from LOTS of owners asking for a heat fix,and like BMW ,ignored them. Yammy FIXED it. The 06' I had I sold to an ex-motorcycle cop .After LOTS of miles he LOVES the darn thing. Yammy FIXED that.As to your specific allegations, see wreckchecker's post above mine. I've had 2 new BMW's & both are junk. I came to an acceptable solution with BMW concerning the 1st piece of crap--it broke down on EVERY major trip I took with it. Why'd I buy the GS? It fits where I live(Idaho) and because I'm a dumbass.What's your excuse? Plastic parts breaking, blown out ABS pumps, DANGEROUS ABS malfunctions while riding,contant worries about the rear end burning up(a pal's DID) and headlights that can burn out at any time,I'm on my FIFTH in not that many miles( my 10 year old modified Suzuki DR400 has rolled down cliffs & is on its original headlight bulb). I've had SO much trouble with this GS I bought an extended warranty & it's making a hi pitched sound RIGHT NOW that makes that decision a good one. Do jap bikes even HAVE extended warranties? I don't know as the near 20 such bikes I've had never gave me any reason to find out. I wrote a letter to Yamaha & told'm I'm boycotting ALL Yamaha products til this Tenere gets to the USA---and added the least they could do is sell it here in appreciation for their safety provided by my(USA) nuclear umbrella. Will buy the Tenere in a heartbeat.No more Big Mistakes on Wheels(BMW) for this guy. To each his own,Pilgrim. (Does that mean I've wised up & am no longer a dumbass?Jus wunderds,all.)

Big Mistake onWheels screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 04:48 PM
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #70
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
People are quick to bitch and there have been overheated spiders. But I was involved with the switch recall effort and am not seeing the numbers of reports on this issue. Especially "every"
Last time as this is becoming a classic hijack...

Inmates on the FJR forum think it's a design flaw in the wiring harness and sooner or later every bike will fail in the same way.. look here:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...ic=128340&st=0

Look at posts: 19, 21, 24, 30, 33 makes for some good reading.

And an inmate designed and supplied solution:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...pic=128067&hl=

If I owned an FJR, I'd get this done pronto.

At any rate, this bike really appeals to me.. and I wouldn't think twice about its reliability.. it remains to be seen if there will be first year issues..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #71
Sp!ke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
ABS - If the speedo fuse is pulled, what else stops working? Or is the fuse ABS specific?
Good question and one that I'm not 100% sure on. By removing the speed sensor on the front wheel it will definately turn off the traction control system as that requires the speed sensor to work.

By removing the fuse in the below picture there's a good chance that the speed sensor data is retained and the TCS will continue to work although I'm not entirely sure as we'd already turned off the TCS anyway as the TCS does not work at all well in soft sand sand.

I have not studied the Owners Manual thoroughly yet but maybe it is referenced in there.

LINK to Owners Manual.
Sp!ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #72
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
is this showing only what's below the rider's seat? I don't see a the pillion deck, would you be able to shed some light on this? A pic of the pillion deck would be nice.

Hi GB,

Yes, this pic shows what's bellow the riders seat. The black plastic part is a sort of spacer that is installed in two different positions allowing to choose a higher or lower seat height.

I'll try to remove the pillion seat tomorrow and will post a picture.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #73
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,266
The UK based MCN (Motorcycle News) tested the ST against a GSA, a Multistrada and a KTM Adventure.
The verdict at the end said that the ST came last but would have come first if it were cheaper !!!!
Its slower than the others, grounds it's pegs easier and does'nt handle as sharp.
However, it gives 54 mpg (UK) or about 5.3 litres/100 km, which gives about 270mile range (432km). It has a lot lower seat than all the others so should suit real human riders with passengers.

Ask me if I care, I'm still picking mine up next Thursday.
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #74
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
The UK based MCN (Motorcycle News) tested the ST against a GSA, a Multistrada and a KTM Adventure.
The verdict at the end said that the ST came last but would have come first if it were cheaper !!!!
Its slower than the others, grounds it's pegs easier and does'nt handle as sharp.
However, it gives 54 mpg (UK) or about 5.3 litres/100 km, which gives about 270mile range (432km). It has a lot lower seat than all the others so should suit real human riders with passengers.

Could you post any weights, that were recorded by MCN for this trio...
Looking forward to hearing your impressions of your own XT1200Z, congratulations !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #75
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:

Mate, as I posted in another thread, they were testing the "Best Naked Sports Touring bike" Not an ADV bike.

If they bothered to get the bikes dirty, carried 100Kg worth of gear across Angola, The Australian Outback or Sth America the results would have been different.

An Adventure to them, and to be fair prolly many people is, cruising around sealed back roads visiting a few nice pubs.

Any bike will do that and a GT14, FJR, Goldwing, R1200RT would probably be a better bike for the job anyway.

I can see the future.....2015

YAMAHA's next ADV Touring bike will be a jacked up naked R1 with 4 way Ohlins adjustable suspension and a new 12 position switch for engine mapping. That should make them happy.

Suzuki will respond with the HAYA-BASHER, A jacked up B King with 6 way Ohilns electronically adjustable suspension and a 16 position Engine map. 16 levels of Grunt and 8 ABS settings including OFF.
The V-Strom will still be available with its 12th colour change, but this year it will be a really cool hi tech ceramic paint designed to replace the steel in the tank. It will be harder than glass ans as flexible as rubber. The V-strom will cost 1/3 of everything else and will still loose all the comparo's and will still be sold in reasonable numbers cause they are cheap and there are parts lying around in every garage around the world.

Honda will have to respond with the Jacked up naked VFR the VFR1200GS and 32 engine maps, 16 auto tranny maps, 12 ABS maps 8 way Ohlins electronically adjustable suspension, 99 programmable memory settings with an ipod/pad app to manage them all and a motor tuned for 170Kw at 15,000 RPM cause you don't want to loose the horsepower race. It will also have built in bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 128GB of SS memory, 24 USB3 connectors, 12 1Gb Ethernet ports and all the things the modern traveler needs for the GPS, SLR Cameras. internet, iThings. The alternator will be able to crank out 3KW and will weigh 20kg by itself. Due to all the moaning about weight, Honda also has an optional 'bare bones' version that has no electronic Gizmo's a 500Watt alternator and weighs 70Kg less but no one buys it.

Kawasaki have just released the new 3rd gen KLR950 single and have decided, due to customer demand, to go back to a carburetor intake engine. The carburetor is now a 5 chamber carb with manually selectable mapping, by removing a plug from one of the venturies.
One of the chambers will be parts compatible with the original KLR650 carb from 30 years ago.

HD releases the Harley Ulysses, The same as it was in 2005, Middle aged guys get all wet with nostalgia and they sell like hotcakes in America.

MCN will be in heaven but will moan about the lack of character and the fact that the Japanese dare to charge similar prices to the 15 year old GS. (now 1800cc with 6 valve heads) or any other European offering (all 1500cc twins, the Ducati with 8 valve heads and oval pistons called an MTS1498) Honda will sue.

Oil will top $150 a barrel and everyone will stop buying ADV bikes bigger than 650cc. The V-Strom and F650 roar up the sales charts just before the Chinese arrive on the market with their new US$1500 650cc twin ADV bike. Its just a BMW copy but no one cares. Most Europeans floock to the Honda CUB now made in India. A new ADV market is spawned when Honda releases a jacked up naked cub....

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 06:32 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote