Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #106
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
That's something I respect about BMW's intro of the F800GS, they [internally] had to duke it out with lawyers about the kind of portrayal of the bike's use and capability. Whether it stands up to the abuse, I dunno, but its a heckuva battle inside the corporation to get that kind of representation OK'd.
Is this the same F800GS that commonly broke drive chains? I guess it's OK to use cheapo Chinese driveline components if the lawyers (and beancounters) approve it eh?

Trevor
Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #107
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Is this the same F800GS that commonly broke drive chains? I guess it's OK to use cheapo Chinese driveline components if the lawyers (and beancounters) approve it eh?

Trevor
I was actually a cheapo Czech chain, and at least they are replacing it with an improved cheapo Czech chain under a recall.

My CCC lasted quite well and now I get another one free (and sprockets).

Maybe one day the bean counters at BMW (and elsewhere!) might learn that it costs more to do things cheaply, and it takes longer to do them quickly.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #108
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
I dunno though... water, sand, dirt, being thrown down in mud holes... I wonder if they tested any of this?
Ive told it again and again it's been tested for over a year, in Sewden (wet&muddy) portugal and morocco (hot&verry fine dust "fesh fesh")

My Odo stand on 9229 now, and the only problemss i had were with the Panniers, and they are made not by Yamaha but by an i bielieve Spanishmanufacurer, or was it Itallian i forgot...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #109
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Excellent! as tough as a Weestrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Ive told it again and again it's been tested for over a year, in Sewden (wet&muddy) portugal and morocco (hot&verry fine dust "fesh fesh")

My Odo stand on 9229 now, and the only problemss i had were with the Panniers, and they are made not by Yamaha but by an i bielieve Spanishmanufacurer, or was it Itallian i forgot...
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #110
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
MJ, great detailed info. Thanks for sharing. It made great reading and further supports my decision to add this bike to my garage.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #111
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Excellent! as tough as a Weestrom
The American version of the S10, with no Yamaha stripes, looks more similar to the W-Strom than the Euro version.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #112
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

Well I do not know who built the panniers but they are a waste of money.
As for not having any trouble I too have not had a single issue beside the fact that I can't use a top box due to a letter I recieved from the Local importer saying that there is a problem with the integrity of the back topbox mountig part that I am sure was built by Yamaha.
This to me is a real bummer as I use the bike as my mode of transport and so I have to use the side panniers ( that are sxxt) and are not very comfortable when one tries to weave through city traffic.
I gusse no one is perfect and that includes Yamaha.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #113
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
As for not having any trouble I too have not had a single issue beside the fact that I can't use a top box due to a letter I recieved from the Local importer saying that there is a problem with the integrity of the back topbox mountig part that I am sure was built by Yamaha.
This to me is a real bummer as I use the bike as my mode of transport and so I have to use the side panniers ( that are sxxt) and are not very comfortable when one tries to weave through city traffic.
Good news is Yamaha has fixed the top box issue, and have started issuing fixes (at least in South Africa, where the problem first showed up).

And the other thing is, if it were me, and I was using the top box just for commuting and not on rough roads, I'd ignore the Yamaha letter and continue using the top box...

Trevor
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #114
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
Luggage is made by Shad (they also make OEM BMW cases for at least some models).

This bike is also completely trouble-free for me so far (except for the top box issue!). I haven't yet seen a single mechanical problem reported anywhere that wasn't crash-related.

rocca screwed with this post 11-03-2010 at 11:06 AM
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #115
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Back in the day, I had a 82 XV920J and I invented the Yamaha ADV bike..... I beat the crap out of that ol bike and never had any problems with the final drive. I didn't know you weren't supposted to ride the Virago off road. It went down goat trails to our favorite camping spots. It jumped really well, .......but didn't land real good.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #116
Dr. Horrible
easy to make

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ke
Good question and one that I'm not 100% sure on. By removing the speed sensor on the front wheel it will definately turn off the traction control system as that requires the speed sensor to work.

By removing the fuse in the below picture there's a good chance that the speed sensor data is retained and the TCS will continue to work although I'm not entirely sure as we'd already turned off the TCS anyway as the TCS does not work at all well in soft sand sand.

I have not studied the Owners Manual thoroughly yet but maybe it is referenced in there.

LINK to Owners Manual.
As Carlos M. noted, pulling the ABS fuse does not disable any other systems or functions (except the speedo, of course). Therefore, it should be fairly easy to rig up an ABS switch on your own, if you feel it's necessary. My guess is that Yamaha will do it themselves within a year or two.
Thanks for the excellent write-up, MJ.
Dr. Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #117
Cresta
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 152

I for one was really looking forward to the arrival of this bike but at a price tag of £13,500 GBP it's simply out of the question. That's a ridiculous retail price for a bike.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...to-cost-13500/
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #118
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible
As Carlos M. noted, pulling the ABS fuse does not disable any other systems or functions (except the speedo, of course). Therefore, it should be fairly easy to rig up an ABS switch on your own, if you feel it's necessary. My guess is that Yamaha will do it themselves within a year or two.
Thanks for the excellent write-up, MJ.
By pulling the solitary ABS motor fuse attached to the starter solenoid, only the ABS is disabled. Speedo and TCS still work, I know I tried it.
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #119
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresta
I for one was really looking forward to the arrival of this bike but at a price tag of £13,500 GBP it's simply out of the question. That's a ridiculous retail price for a bike.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...to-cost-13500/
Come to Australia if you want ridiculous prices... oh no need I forgot about the internet. (XT12Z is 200 pounds cheaper here, but we're a lot closer to Japan)

Currency converter: http://www.fxtop.com/

20,000 pounds / US$31000 for a Multistrada: http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...ake=4294967267

$2,610,000 average house price: http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-...sw+2088/list-1 Cammeray's a nice neighbourhood but nothing special I used to rent a place there until I got priced out... had to move further and further out every year.

raybies screwed with this post 11-27-2010 at 05:35 PM
raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #120
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible
if you feel it's necessary. My guess is that Yamaha will do it themselves within a year or two..
Do read threads, please?

Its compulsory in 2013/2017 tohave a non switcahble ABS on *any bike larger than 125cc...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote