Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,579
Moto Guzzi Quota? Let's hear from you guys...

I've always liked these bikes. Moto Guzzi made some sweet off-road machines and some great rally bikes.

So... who's got one? I'd like to know how you like them. Post some photos of it. How's the shaftdrive on these bikes... longer lasting than the GS bikes? What kind of seat height do they have? etc...

Not to worry folks... I'm not selling off the TAs. I just like to learn more about bikes. The Quota is such a sweet looking machine, but I don't know dick about them. I'm thinking there has got to be a handful of dudes/dudettes here that have one.
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,077
Hey modrover,

Chopperman has got one. That modded TA is sweet by the way.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Hey modrover,

Chopperman has got one. That modded TA is sweet by the way.
Thanks man

What? Chop the only dude here with a Quota? There must be others...
Washougal, WA USA
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,191
CycleCat has one....he's likely too busy with the Lege in session to post much. He's a medium-sized guy, and he certainly has no problem on his Quota, no problem at all.

I think maybe Quotas look a lot bigger than they are. Guzzis are kinda that way, going back to the Ambos, even.

See, no problems:

CCat considers the Quota comfier than his Elefant, better for the long haul. We did a few dirt roads that day, and he certainly was right behind me on my KTM 950 the whole time. Hey, it's pretty much a motorcycle, you know, a plain ol' bike. I mean that in the good way. Guzzi's pretty much are good ol' bikes. I had an old LeMans, and I liked it. Very nice to work on, but seldom needed it. What's not to like?
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,342
I had a Quota for 3 years. The seating position was more relaxed than the GS--pegs weren't as cramped for my legs, bar reach was easier, the seat was more comfy. Wind protection wasn't very good, but the beast had very little buffeting, compared to the 1150GS.

Power was down, at 60 hp, but plenty for a bike of this nature. Hardly ever used 5th gear. It was a top heavy beast!!! And plenty big. After-market mods are scarce, but I was able to get what I wanted from Happy-Trails.

It was too top-heavy and the front-end was too wobbly for me to be comfortable on anything but the tamest of gravel roads. That says as much about my riding skills as the bike.

I missed it before the buyer was out of the driveway, but I prolly wouldn't buy another. It was a good shot at an all-purpose bike, but I have since learned that a couple of more focused bikes (dual sport & cruiser, for example) can be purchased fairly reasonably and I am more happy with them in their own arenas.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,349
Its got funk, gotta love that engine, like it? its a part of the family. not a hot rod but I have no problem keeping up with ( engine wise) a friend with a GS1100, I prefer the Guzzi motor over his, sounds,feels like a MC should. yeah its no dirt machine, but forest service roads no worries, ya dont like this vibration get a gold wing. weight doesnt bother me, fuel injection works, top flight components, stole it new from canada when the US $ was worth more then the rupee that it is now , not too tall, I'm wearing 32" in seam levis ( what ever that is ) , no problem with the height. stone reliable, love to have a 400lb version, good big hauler. seat is best i've put my ass in.

one day might have to hook up nitrous !!

ya wanna ride one come on up north, you can compare it back to back with my DL650, even got some left over (NOS) gaskets for your TA I was going to send you. i might be able to get my friend with the GS if you want to comparo that.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,750
Thumb

No pix, but I bought a Quota back in November. I like it so far, but have only put a few tanks of gas throught it.

I also have a '95 Ducati Elefant. The Quota is a 2000.

I bought the Quota to be a touring bike that I can also take off road. I think it will fit that bill quite nicely. Mine came with 3-piece Hepco + Becker bags.

The bike weighs about 540 lbs and has a pretty long wheelbase. It is very comfortable. Seat height is about 32/33-inches on the 1100ES. The previous Quota 1000 had a sky-scraping 36/37 inches of seat height.

The front end seems a little wiggly, but I'm used to the Elefant's very stiff USD Showa unit.

The Elefant is about 100 pounds lighter and you can tell it. My Elefant's motor is pushing about 80 rwhp and that's a pretty noticeable difference, too. The Elefant is a raucus hell-raiser, the Quota is a lot more laid back.

Guzzis are easy to work on, and have a simple and rugged basic design. The Quota has a 5-speed tranny, drive shaft and rear housing just like all the California models. It's a rare thing to hear of a Guzzi's driveline failing.

A couple of things, though, are the Injection unit. It's a twin throat Webber unit that is a sort of odd-ball. It's kind of a pain to set up, but runs good once done. Also, some bikes had wheel rims that developed cracks at around 5000 to 6000 miles. Guzzi replaced them.

Wind protection is good, in my opinion. There's a bit of noise at speed, but lots quieter than my F650GS Dakar or Triumph Sprint Executive. Not much buffetting, however! There are a couple of options on windscreens if you need more protection.

I've got the Hepco + Becker crash bars. There are a couple of others, too. I'm also planning on having a skid plate built to protect the sump.

It's a big and heavy 'Enduro' for sure. Fun and different, too.

I'm a Guzzi guy, so I'm probably biased. I like 'em. I also have a Sport 1100 that I've owned since new in 1997. Bikes come and go, but Guzzis seem to stay around a long time.

Good Quotas can be had for $4000 to $6000 and with low miles. Mine had only 1,856 miles. I was looking at one in Omaha that only had 10,000 miles. Get one with bags, as that will set you back some serious cash if you decide to add them later.

Keep in mind that they were only imported in 2000 and only about 100 were brought to the USA. Accessories and body parts aren't gonna be an easy deal like with a KTM or KLR. But that's just part of the fun, isn't it ???

I give Quotas
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

yeah to add to rocker/guzzi mike, some had cracks in header pipe up front, mone doesnt.
they have marzacchi forks, most are adjustable but some models aren't. not a hooligan bike but big fun, same basic lump they pump 100hp out of, rare to hear a Guzzi blow up.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #9
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
Its got funk, gotta love that engine, like it? its a part of the family. not a hot rod but I have no problem keeping up with ( engine wise) a friend with a GS1100, I prefer the Guzzi motor over his, sounds,feels like a MC should. yeah its no dirt machine, but forest service roads no worries, ya dont like this vibration get a gold wing. weight doesnt bother me, fuel injection works, top flight components, stole it new from canada when the US $ was worth more then the rupee that it is now , not too tall, I'm wearing 32" in seam levis ( what ever that is ) , no problem with the height. stone reliable, love to have a 400lb version, good big hauler. seat is best i've put my ass in.

one day might have to hook up nitrous !!

ya wanna ride one come on up north, you can compare it back to back with my DL650, even got some left over (NOS) gaskets for your TA I was going to send you. i might be able to get my friend with the GS if you want to comparo that.
BAD MOTO CHILIE!

Have you owned every cool bike or what?

Great invite. How could a guy say no to free test rides and free parts?! My schedule sucks ass right now (and will until around spring), but I do plan to make a trip up.

I've got this Moto Guzzi book that I've had for a few years. It's got a small amount of off-road stuff in it. I'd have to say... I really like what Guzzi's built over the years. Much cooler than the 180 degree V-twin BeeMuhs!

So... until I can get out and ride one... keep posting photos!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 PM   #10
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Yes. Keep those posts coming! I like learning about this bike... kind of hard to explain, but the Quota's got something!
Washougal, WA USA
Old 01-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

well right now i am in arizona, so no hurry.

I can always do as ride to the penisula. if ya cant make er up.

just gotta ATK 605, feel the need to roost.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
Gee-Tee
DR dual-sporter

Oddometer: 87
A Quota

Here are a few pic's I took of my Quota the day I brought it home. I will have new pic's coming soon as I have added a few items.
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=fjrgeetee&AID=1929102
Here is a link to the new pics 31 Mar 2005.
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=fjrgeetee&AID=2327142

Here is a link to a mini review of a Quota and a couple of other BIG traillies.
http://www.rrmotorcycling.com/mags/0...comp_test.html

2007 FJR 1300

Gee-Tee screwed with this post 03-31-2005 at 07:55 PM Reason: more info
Gee-Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #13
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Fridays are slower at work. I just got a chance to check in today....

Them two-tone, champagne & blue Quotas sure are purty! Congrats, Quotaman!

I've always loved Guzzis. My first bike was a Guzzi and I bought it because after seeing another one, I *HAD* to have one. It took me a while to bond with this one because it is somewhat less Guzzi-like than other Guzzis... mostly because of the overly quiet exhaust. Once you let some of the Guzzi growl out, the bike perks up and gets to be a lot more fun to ride.

Aftermarket support isn't all that good, but if you're not afraid to do some fabrication, you'll be fine.

I'm at 20K miles and climbing.

Pictures:
General Quota pics.

Quota to the Blue Ridge.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
SV_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hey Evil, this is Dilla, thanks for telling me about this forum .. I just got my "fast" red DL650 and will be up to your Ozarks soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
But that's just part of the fun, isn't it ???
SV_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #15
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,750
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Rider
Hey Evil, this is Dilla, thanks for telling me about this forum .. I just got my "fast" red DL650 and will be up to your Ozarks soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
You gonna change your handle to "V-Strom Rider" ??? Congrats on the new ride !!!

Desmo Derek and I went for a backroads ride today with the Quota and the Elefant. It turned out to be sunny and near 60F up here this afternoon.

Let me know when you can make it up here to visit.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote