ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #211
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,242
As promised a little update of what happening in the basement(of death).
The mailman keep bringing some boxes to this garage and the other day i received the carbon, brake and 42 rear sprocket for the SD. Im still assigned to this Battlemind-Homemind sessions which is ok, but it takes out the "garage" hours in the end of the day. Though im able to bring the carbon manufacturing home to the basement. Im able to work on the timeconsuming carbon process and still be a dad. And im having a blast in the basement, maybe a bit high on fumes og death but also really getting to know this stuff. Why im doing this is for the pleasure and i think the structural strength of this material is formidable. And im liking this black/white theme on the bike. The glovebox and tail had this KTM orange and that would not fit in my colour scheme. So that is why im "skinning" it.

Pictures to clarify the process.
Basement and work area.

New material

Parts to be "Skinned"

Poison on parts

A bit later

Closeup of the more lucky one(so far). The main glovebox part was a pain. Nail or fail.

Had some clearcoat left and the windscreen got some more. And pretty much all done.

Keep away from children.

The other day at the garage Svane had a good idea with the keyposition. I acceptet and im liking.

All for now. Just one last picture. Since ive joined this OC area and have been using it regularly for years i have always wondered where people did there writing/connecting. When people post there "place", i think it gives a good "frame" of the writers situation. Makes it more real and interesting. Just like when i see other peoples threads of amazing-high-skill-demanding projects.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #212
ginslung
It'll take.

Oddometer: 224
Great work, really enjoying this!
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #213
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Time is a bit of a problem for me I just have so much to do over the next few weeks. I am practising strict time management. So as I am on a return to work program, after a work injury, I spend 6hr/ 3 days a week in a office......... I don't belong in a office so with my iphone as a modem, I bring my lappy to work....... to do this Don't tell the boss.

Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us Mikael. I too look at whats in the background to get a feel for the experience of the author.

So....... looking at your C/F I see you have two rolls. The second roll could be your second order or a different weave. I see all your work is with a Twill weave, and want to say that a plain weave is much easier to work with as the twill falls apart easy. The Twill has a better finish - look.

I have set up a temporary table in my garage to work C/F. I want to point out in the photo the fan which is connected to my weigh scale. As I mostly use West epoxy resin it is a 50/50 mix and I think it is much more accurate by weight. I use drinking cups for a one use as I hate cleaning. I recommend using vinyl disposable gloves as dermatitis can result through prolonged exposure. It's different for different people. Mate you must look after your lungs, sometimes I have to put a jumper on because of that fan...... I work in a wind so that I don't breath that shit.

These are the tools I use to "finish" the work. I recommend using ear protection in any noisy environment with the exception of "chilling out" listening to your music with the alcohol of your choice I call it saving my hearing for better things. I'm 56 and my (Persian) wife whom I met while climbing mountains in that place next door to where you work , enjoy going to music festivals. The reward of looking after your self....

This sort of terrain would be familiar to you I think

The Bean machine !!!

That's our little car that stays with family awaiting our return.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm dame wrong computer.

K2m screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 06:28 AM
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #214
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Man, I wish I had the patience to do this kind of work...

Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #215
K2m

Coments from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
You'll know you're really crazy when the total cost of your farkling/upgrades exceed the original amount you spent on the bike.

You have got to start somewhere. The beauty of what we do is really how little it costs to do major changes to your bike. The real benefits find there way into your normal life. Weather it is renovating a house or building a computer the skills are the same. I do not pay anyone to do anything for me. This allows me to live a lifestyle far in excess of my income. Today you have the world at your fingertips....... The Internet changes everything. The potential for what you can do is limitless.

I have seen your photo....... If I had your good looks and youth I would not be waisting my time in a workshop....... I would be rooting everything....... You should have lived through the Seventies. We called it the "summer of love" There was no HIV shit in those days
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #216
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
This sort of terrain would be familiar to you I think

Yeah im familiar with these landscapes. Now you got me nostalgic. This was my last tour as a Sgt. Im forced to part witht the dirty grunt work. Its tiresome work but i loved the people ive been working with for the last 6-7 years. Allow me to give some pictures of the terrain i mostly worked in.

The desert/rocky stuff. Oh its me using the binoculars.

Some colleagues helping a bit(which tank is it).

My unit B22. Nice and very kind people.

The greenzone(Helmand river area) were our mainarea and the place we have had our highest highs and absolute lowest low. We got it all there. But when you get home and go through the pictures this is a very beautyful country in every aspects.

Back to bikebuilding. Working with the fibres and started with the air-intake plate. Ive have not figured out how the end product will be but the plate is done. The blue is the release agent.

Somehow i forgot the picture of the "done" plate. Well ill get it later for you.

The skinning part is done. Just need to clearcoat it. This is one layer of 200g twill and two layers of epoxy-resin. In my standards, its fine.

Glovebox, ohh no, the ignitionbox.... Some detailwork and clearcoat again here.

There were some big flaws in my windscreen i couldnt grind/polish away gave up. So one more layer(now five layers...) and i think i got it this time. And my bashplate will be dublicated. I can save weight here and it will not need to be as sturdy anymore. Gravelroad will be its toughest enemy. I will still use the inner frame of the bashplate.

I dont know if this will work, but thats a trademark of my Project 1190. Layers are 3 kevlar(300g) and 1 kevlar/carbon for finish. Nail or fail...broke the mould today and it can flex but hot damn its sturdy and light. Oh in the background you see the baseplate for the intake.

more to come....to the basement.

K2M. Nice renault(is it 4?).
Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #217
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Approx. how much does it cost to make a home made carbon-kevlar bashplate (starting from zero)?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #218
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Cate...forcement.aspx

approx. 100 euro.

Going to the gym. Bye
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #219
K2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Approx. how much does it cost to make a home made carbon-kevlar bashplate (starting from zero)?
In my efforts to remove weight from the front wheel

I am about to make one from scratch. Having fitted a shorai battery in a new C/F holster and shortening the lower forward engine mounts there is nothing to model from. The first thing I would suggest is a trip to an aluminum supplier to buy some offcuts..... cheep. These will be bolted together to form a shape to build the bash plate in Carbon fiber. I need mine to be strong so I will use C/F ribs to strengthen. I think I will be looking at at least 8 layers.

In this photo you can see the aluminum bracket in front of the battery. I will make a copy of this in 2 layers then this will be glued to the bottom mold of 2 layers along with ribs, and the rear mount. This then is sanded rough to give the best mechanical hold and the whole job is done wet to get a strong chemical bond. Your final costs are your material costs. You should ring around to find the best Carbon costs. West system epoxy is easy enough to work with, Polyester, Vinyl Ester said to be fuel/ alcohol proof. In Sydney carbon costs varies between $120@mt to $40@mt

I have heard that Kevlar dose not like sunshine as it is prone to UV damage. The solution is to paint it...... or put it under carbon.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #220
K2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com View Post
Yeah im familiar with these landscapes. Now you got me nostalgic. This was my last tour as a Sgt. Im forced to part witht the dirty grunt work. Its tiresome work but i loved the people ive been working with for the last 6-7 years. Allow me to give some pictures of the terrain i mostly worked in.

K2M. Nice renault(is it 4?).
Abrams Tank ????? Maybe

Renault 5 .....But this one is made in Iran. Here is a wiki on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...uction_in_Iran

Mikael thank you for sharing your photos and experiences with us. Personally I don't think it could get better than this. It is very interesting for me as a larger percentage of my after 40 life was spent exploring this part of the world. In 1996 my mother upon her retirement took my sister and I to Egypt, then Europe. Being a typical Adventure rider I was following the in-flight magazine on the Map page. India's big rivers were followed by big mountains and the Caspian sea. We were at 10,000mt and this giant of a mountain came up to meet the plane, or it seemed that way. Not far from the base was a huge city I determined was Tehran. I pointed it out to my mom and said one day I will climb that mountain. She looked at me as if I was strange "we are in a plane. How could you know where we are?"

Later in Roma I was in a mountaineering shop and discovered that we had flown over Mt Damavand 5,700mt.

Who on this earth would go to Iran for a holiday?????? Back in Sydney I contemplated this. No Internet at least that I was aware of. While working I heard an interview on the radio with an Ozzy girl that had written a book on her time in the Middle East working for the Wall St journal. She had just written this book. "Nine Parts of Desire, The Hidden World of Islamic Women". With a title like that who could resist
http://www.islamfortoday.com/9parts.htm

I rang the Iranian embassy in Canberra. A very helpful young Iranian/Ozzy gave me a contact in Sydney. There was no tourism in Iran except with organised groups Fuck that, I'm an adventure rider...... but people on business could get visas....... So we (My contact in Sydney Gilbert Dingle, who sadly only had a few months to live. While doing some repairs to a slate roof the ladder he was on cut through some electrical wiring and he was electrocuted)) pretended that I was a businessman. So I had my visa............ and I could follow my nose. In Feb 1997 I found my self of work for 3 months, in a bus leaving Istanbul. I'll always remember the feeling crossing the Turkish/Iran border, on my own, when I thought. "What the Fuck am I doing here. You must be fucking mad" Geraldine had better be right!!! or I'm in big shit.

On the trip across Turkey the bus had been stopped a dozen times and searched looking for PKK Freedom fighters/Terrorists. I was the only foreigner on the bus. When they looked at my passport they would smile and say welcome..... On leaving Erzurum after a week of free skiing (good timing. There was a group of Balkan snowboarders working for a magazine to do an article on Turkish snow, arguing with the management over some beer they had bought in the town, they were not allowed to bring it back to the resort..... their resort beer was twice the price. Typical tourist rip-off shit. Anyhow I have arrived with a taxi driver who was trying to rip me off. So everyone is in a big argument. As the young Balkan boys stormed out, one gave me his ski pass..... 10 days free skiing ) I needed a little money to get to Iran. With the Visa in the machine I made a dreadful error which was later, in Iran, to save the day I needed $60 in Turkish lira. 1,000,000 lira was $1. I put one zero to much...... So the difference between $10,000 and $100,000 is one zero So I had $600 in lira and a couple of hours to spend it At Doğubayazıt, under the shadow of Mt Ararat, said to be the resting place of noah's ark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do%C4%9Fubeyaz%C4%B1t I had one of those pesky taxi drivers who's price kept getting lower. He was following me like a dog. LOOK I said If you know where I can change this money to US Dollars I will go with you........ So I ended up with around $600 US.

As the bus traveled through Iran we stopped at check points. People were taken of the bus with there belongings and searched...... Alcohol, drugs, consumer magazines, music (MUSIC ) Denim Jeans.... you know all the bad stuff. I had a couple of water bottles.... one was clear sambuca..... with a straight face I shit bricks. I look a little Iranian. they would look at my passport and smile.... "Welcome" That's all.

In Iran there are no ATM's in fact the only money that works is cash. And the USD is king. I would have run out of money within a week. I was there 7 weeks. I had to extend my visa. Thanks to the Turkish money, and by keeping a tight budget I survived. BBC world was my only contact with the outside world. This was the time of Windows 95. Software was dirt cheep in Iran. As the west had no respect for Iran, it had no respect for the west, or its copyright After this trip I got my first computer as I had so much software. A day skiing cost 3USD. After a few days I just wanted to leave Tehran. This city is huge 22million. That's the population of Australia in one city. The 44hour non stop trip in a bus had taken its toll. I was looking for an alternative and while I procrastinated I bumped into some people who with a large network of friends I found my self with a non stop social life that just seemed to go on forever. This group spent their time in the mountains, reciting poetry and singing, playing the lute. There were many diner parties where they would want to know all about western life. There image of us is what we see at the movies. I found my self explaining that we go to the movies to entertain ourselves and that we don't live like that either. In those days Satellite TV was illegal. Western consumer magazines were forbidden. You were not allowed to ware jeans, and of course young people wore jenes and said to me "Fuck Them" In those days morality Police were everywhere. They used to set up road blocks. It was in this mountain group that I met my wife. It was 3 years, and 3 trips back to Iran before we decided to marry. In Tehran I managed to live a double life I never skied with my friends, I did that with the richer kids (Tehran's 1%) and I had met some really bad boys in the south of Tehran city. We did bad boy things together which I wont go into detail but I will say that while never having been to a orgy in the west I have in Tehran. What is on offer in the Islamic republic even smokes my ears. I found myself riding a vespa in Tehran......... enough Long live travel ........

I arrived in Tehran at night. The next morning this is what I saw

K2m screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 08:36 PM
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #221
K2m

I must apologize for some mistakes in that last ramble. It was written at work with many interruptions and I did not have time to proof read it. I have also gone into more detail with some subjects.

I must say that the Tehran I have described no longer exists. It was locked in a time warp. Khomeini had closed the country to the rest of the world. It was only with his death that the country started to open it's doors. The acceleration of change was breathtaking. I was quite fortunate to see it changing from year to year. The Internet changed everything. Moral police no longer exist. The freedom looked for by the younger people was adapted to by a reluctant government. Satellite TV is everywhere. Inflation was huge as Iran court up to the rest of the world. Hotels are expensive, Skiing is about $35 a day. Iran is 75,000,000 strong, with a modern well equipped army. Iran has almost half the world on it's side. Attacking Iran would be like attacking Russia, and just as unjustified. Lets hope this madness never happens. The west has no secular divide to rely on in Iran. It will remain united against any aggression....... I say this from personal experience.

With all the time I have spent in Iran I am always imagining I am on a bike. The big Katom would be perfect. While some important environmental places are protected the majority of the country is unfenced. This is riding Heaven. You can go anywhere and Iran is safe. It's great living in Australia, but just to complicated to get my bike there. More on that later.

These photos were taken 4 hours walk from a city of 22,000,000 Tehran

The girl I married is on the left She was not my first Iranian girl friend. The first was an Armenian girl. I had sent her some money, then landed in Tehran to find her shacked up, high on drugs (in bed) with the most gorgeous 19 year old lesbian lover. It made for a most interesting Mnage trois as both girls just enjoyed sex and to be honest were insatiable......... Fun while it lasts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9nage_%C3%A0_trois

K2m screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #222
gtfour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
err, who's thread is this?!

Interesting as the Iranian 'exploits' are they're not really anything to do with building a monster KTM Adv!!!

No offence intended, it's just a bit off-topic!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #223
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
I love Iran as well. And to me its not even that far away. Hope to be able to go back there some day soon.

But those menage a trois meetings with your wife, is that really something you want to speak about on the interweb?

Now back to the good stuff: cramping an RC8 in an LC8 package!
Go Locul, back to work! I can't stand the wayting
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #224
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Thanks for the heads up. Very beautyful pictures from Iran. Ill keep to the north, that is my comfortzone.

Smallish update.

Fluff

Bashplate, not straight here but you get the idea. Still some details needs attention.

From this(gram).

To

Went straight for skinning the safaris, for the looks and will copy paste the HDB plastics. We will see how that turns out...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #225
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote