ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 2,134
Replacing the clutch pushrod

I have a June '04 build Adventure with about 28,000 miles on the clock. The clutch slave finally went, so I've ordered the Evolutionize. I don't know whether or not my clutch pushrod would be the new or old version. My guess is that it would be old, so I'm thinking about replacing it. Looking at the fiche, it looks like the new one-piece pushrod is part number 60032054400.

The fiche also lists some kind of seal on the clutch slave side. Should I replace this seal when I replace the rod? Thanks.
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Loud tires save lives." -- Unknown
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
That's the correct pushrod. On a bike as old as your '04, I would replace any original seal I came across during a service.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer
 
AdvGa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta Metro
Oddometer: 1,320
Here's the Install intructions from Evoluzione:

http://www.evoluzione.net/instructio...structions.pdf
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer
 
evoluzione's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: murrieta, california
Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I have a June '04 build Adventure with about 28,000 miles on the clock. The clutch slave finally went, so I've ordered the Evolutionize. I don't know whether or not my clutch pushrod would be the new or old version. My guess is that it would be old, so I'm thinking about replacing it. Looking at the fiche, it looks like the new one-piece pushrod is part number 60032054400.

The fiche also lists some kind of seal on the clutch slave side. Should I replace this seal when I replace the rod? Thanks.
your 2004 model will have the original shorter pushrod. though we include shims so it will work, i would recommend updating your pushrod. since 2004, ktm has had at least six (!) updates to the pushrod so it would be good insurance against breakage.

as to the seal, again not a bad idea to replace it as well while you are in the area.

lastly, i would also recommend cleaning out the clutch jet (just as part of normal service).

please let us know if you have any additional questions.
__________________
regards,


ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Orangecicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione View Post
your 2004 model will have the original shorter pushrod. though we include shims so it will work, i would recommend updating your pushrod. since 2004, ktm has had at least six (!) updates to the pushrod so it would be good insurance against breakage.

as to the seal, again not a bad idea to replace it as well while you are in the area.

lastly, i would also recommend cleaning out the clutch jet (just as part of normal service).

please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Awesome. Thanks!
__________________
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann
"Loud tires save lives." -- Unknown
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
scapegoat
Pushin forward back
 
scapegoat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Out west.....somewhere
Oddometer: 2,863
If I might butt in here as I have a 06 950 with 25K and intend on R&R'ing the slave pretty soon to prevent failure while on a trip. Do I need to upgrade the pushrod, and if so can it be slid out on the slave side?
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
The '06's should have the latest pushrod. The pushrod pulls out from the clutch side, but a retaining pin must be removed from the slave side to allow it to be withdrawn.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
erappaport
pray for rain
 
erappaport's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 257
Does anyone have a pic of this seal going in or out? I assume it has to come out to get at the cross-pin on the pushrod, and was curious how tricky it was to drive the replacement back in with good results. (I know, it depends on who's driving...)
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
The seal doesn't need to come out to R&R the pushrod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport View Post
Does anyone have a pic of this seal going in or out? I assume it has to come out to get at the cross-pin on the pushrod, and was curious how tricky it was to drive the replacement back in with good results. (I know, it depends on who's driving...)
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
erappaport
pray for rain
 
erappaport's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 257
Even better. Thanks!
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
bigvern
.
 
bigvern's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Texas / Isle of Wight (sometimes)
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport View Post
Does anyone have a pic of this seal going in or out? I assume it has to come out to get at the cross-pin on the pushrod, and was curious how tricky it was to drive the replacement back in with good results. (I know, it depends on who's driving...)

Although the seal doesn't need to come out, it might not be a bad idea to consider changing it while you're in there. My pushrod was shot but I also had a small oil leak from the seal that initially looked like the clutch slave was going bad.

My pushrod.....





IMHO this setup is a bad design. There is no lubrication past the seal and the plastic spacer / cover thing has no gasket. Considering where this is i.e. right infront of the drive sproket where all kinds of crap gets thrown at it, is it any wonder they end up like this?


Seal comparison....(new one on the left vs old and leaky on the right)





The seal is cheap and easy to replace.

Oh, and about the pin that goes through the pushrod - mine was completed stuck in there with corrosion - but 30 secs with a dremel solved that problem


.
bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
erappaport
pray for rain
 
erappaport's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 257
Did you just cut it off and replace it when you changed the pushrod? Probably a good idea to have one on hand. Funny that they don't give you one with the new pushrod.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
bigvern
.
 
bigvern's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Texas / Isle of Wight (sometimes)
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport View Post
Did you just cut it off and replace it when you changed the pushrod? Probably a good idea to have one on hand. Funny that they don't give you one with the new pushrod.

My new pushrod came with a new pin - not sure if they can be ordered separately?

I'd re-check the packaging that the pushrod came in to make sure its not still in there.


.
bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
bigvern
.
 
bigvern's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Texas / Isle of Wight (sometimes)
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvern View Post
My new pushrod came with a new pin - not sure if they can be ordered separately?

I'd re-check the packaging that the pushrod came in to make sure its not still in there.


.

OK I've just checked and the pin is a separate part # - 0402031780

I don't remember ordering it as 2 items but maybe I did and I'm just having my first "senior moment" memory laspe

.
bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
erappaport
pray for rain
 
erappaport's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 257
I dunno, you can't be too senior if you've got the part number ready to go! While you're on a roll, do you have the PN# for the seal?

And thanks for the pix. Much obliged.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014