User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Replacing the clutch pushrod

I have a June '04 build Adventure with about 28,000 miles on the clock. The clutch slave finally went, so I've ordered the Evolutionize. I don't know whether or not my clutch pushrod would be the new or old version. My guess is that it would be old, so I'm thinking about replacing it. Looking at the fiche, it looks like the new one-piece pushrod is part number 60032054400.

The fiche also lists some kind of seal on the clutch slave side. Should I replace this seal when I replace the rod? Thanks.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
That's the correct pushrod. On a bike as old as your '04, I would replace any original seal I came across during a service.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Here's the Install intructions from Evoluzione:

http://www.evoluzione.net/instructio...structions.pdf
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I have a June '04 build Adventure with about 28,000 miles on the clock. The clutch slave finally went, so I've ordered the Evolutionize. I don't know whether or not my clutch pushrod would be the new or old version. My guess is that it would be old, so I'm thinking about replacing it. Looking at the fiche, it looks like the new one-piece pushrod is part number 60032054400.

The fiche also lists some kind of seal on the clutch slave side. Should I replace this seal when I replace the rod? Thanks.
your 2004 model will have the original shorter pushrod. though we include shims so it will work, i would recommend updating your pushrod. since 2004, ktm has had at least six (!) updates to the pushrod so it would be good insurance against breakage.

as to the seal, again not a bad idea to replace it as well while you are in the area.

lastly, i would also recommend cleaning out the clutch jet (just as part of normal service).

please let us know if you have any additional questions.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione View Post
your 2004 model will have the original shorter pushrod. though we include shims so it will work, i would recommend updating your pushrod. since 2004, ktm has had at least six (!) updates to the pushrod so it would be good insurance against breakage.

as to the seal, again not a bad idea to replace it as well while you are in the area.

lastly, i would also recommend cleaning out the clutch jet (just as part of normal service).

please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Awesome. Thanks!
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,863
If I might butt in here as I have a 06 950 with 25K and intend on R&R'ing the slave pretty soon to prevent failure while on a trip. Do I need to upgrade the pushrod, and if so can it be slid out on the slave side?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

The '06's should have the latest pushrod. The pushrod pulls out from the clutch side, but a retaining pin must be removed from the slave side to allow it to be withdrawn.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
Does anyone have a pic of this seal going in or out? I assume it has to come out to get at the cross-pin on the pushrod, and was curious how tricky it was to drive the replacement back in with good results. (I know, it depends on who's driving...)
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

The seal doesn't need to come out to R&R the pushrod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport View Post
Does anyone have a pic of this seal going in or out? I assume it has to come out to get at the cross-pin on the pushrod, and was curious how tricky it was to drive the replacement back in with good results. (I know, it depends on who's driving...)

-cp

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
erappaport
pray for rain

Even better. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
bigvern

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

Although the seal doesn't need to come out, it might not be a bad idea to consider changing it while you're in there. My pushrod was shot but I also had a small oil leak from the seal that initially looked like the clutch slave was going bad.

My pushrod.....

IMHO this setup is a bad design. There is no lubrication past the seal and the plastic spacer / cover thing has no gasket. Considering where this is i.e. right infront of the drive sproket where all kinds of crap gets thrown at it, is it any wonder they end up like this?

Seal comparison....(new one on the left vs old and leaky on the right)

The seal is cheap and easy to replace.

Oh, and about the pin that goes through the pushrod - mine was completed stuck in there with corrosion - but 30 secs with a dremel solved that problem

bigvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
erappaport
pray for rain

Did you just cut it off and replace it when you changed the pushrod? Probably a good idea to have one on hand. Funny that they don't give you one with the new pushrod.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
bigvern

Quote:
Did you just cut it off and replace it when you changed the pushrod? Probably a good idea to have one on hand. Funny that they don't give you one with the new pushrod.

My new pushrod came with a new pin - not sure if they can be ordered separately?

I'd re-check the packaging that the pushrod came in to make sure its not still in there.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
bigvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvern View Post
My new pushrod came with a new pin - not sure if they can be ordered separately?

I'd re-check the packaging that the pushrod came in to make sure its not still in there.

OK I've just checked and the pin is a separate part # - 0402031780

I don't remember ordering it as 2 items but maybe I did and I'm just having my first "senior moment" memory laspe

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
erappaport
pray for rain

I dunno, you can't be too senior if you've got the part number ready to go! While you're on a roll, do you have the PN# for the seal?

And thanks for the pix. Much obliged.