User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
blown7.3lps OP
Brian

Oddometer: 647
nikon D90 vs. canon t2i

there both around the same price range, the canon has 18mp and will do 1080p HD video at 30fps.

as far as resolution and video quality the nikon falls short, is canon the canon that much better? nikon will do 720p video, and is a 12.3mp camera.

anyone own one of these cams and can tell me what u like about them or wich of these two cameras are better?
blown7.3lps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Danamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown7.3lps
there both around the same price range, the canon has 18mp and will do 1080p HD video at 30fps.

as far as resolution and video quality the nikon falls short, is canon the canon that much better? nikon will do 720p video, and is a 12.3mp camera.

anyone own one of these cams and can tell me what u like about them or wich of these two cameras are better?
They are both great cameras. If video is important get the Canon. If not take a look at both and buy the one you like. I prefer the Nikon auto focus and exposure system. I think the flash is better on the Nikon, too.
All said and done both will take as good a picture as you are capable of taking.
Danamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
HansGruber
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

Nikon or Canon is a classic question. It's like saying, "What pickup truck is better: Ford or Chevy?" Of course the only right answer is Ford, but people will argue over it for the rest of time.

The D90 is a great camera. If you plan on using it for video, don't. Although I was excited about it at first, I've found it to be kinda gimmicky and disappointing. You cannot AF the video after you've started recording.

If you have a hard budget, consider purchasing a less expensive model (D40, D3000 or the D5000 if you really have your heart set on video) and use the money you saved to buy some quality glass. Good lenses can last forever, but bodies have a shelf life. A basic external flash will be also be key (SB400), on camera flash sucks.

HansGruber screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 03:44 AM
HansGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,949
+1 on good glass! Camera technology changes every few years. Optics are forever.

Of course once you have a killer collection of lenses you are forever locked into that brand.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
blown7.3lps OP
Brian

Ford is much better

so u say shelf life, is that the differents between the metal body cams and the plastic? what is the average shelf life then?

geee, they couldnt make one Glass standard could they.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansGruber
Nikon or Canon is a classic question. It's like saying, "What pickup truck is better: Ford or Chevy?" Of course the only right answer is Ford, but people will argue over it for the rest of time.

The D90 is a great camera. If you plan on using it for video, don't. Although I was excited about it at first, I've found it to be kinda gimmicky and disappointing. You cannot AF the video after you've started recording.

If you have a hard budget, consider purchasing a less expensive model (D40, D3000 or the D5000 if you really have your heart set on video) and use the money you saved to buy some quality glass. Good lenses can last forever, but bodies have a shelf life. A basic external flash will be also be key (SB400), on camera flash sucks.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
HansGruber
Custom User Title

When I say that bodies have a shelf life, I mean two things, Hardware Integrity and Electronic Relevance.

Hardware:
Pro Bodies have hardware that will/should last a long ass time. You could kill a large pack animal by bludgening it with a D3. I know of several D1's floating around that still function flawlessly.

Pro-sumer Bodies like the D300 are quite good as well, but don't typically have the heft and water resistance of a Pro Body. The often have more plastic bits.

The consumer level cameras like the D90 are somewhat disposable. Just like your cellphone/pda/gps it will probably give you about 3 years if you use it often. These cameras are not really water resistant and will eventually give in to hard use.

The real problem however is not with Hardware Integrity but with Electronic Relevance. DSLR's have been developing extremely quickly just like every other consumer handheld electronic device. For the Pro and Prosumer level cameras its more likely that your body will become obsolete before it fails mechanically. For the Consumer level cameras its probably a draw. It will probably reach the end of its mechanical lifespan around the time it becomes obsolete in the market.

In camera terms what does obsolete mean?
-Memory Storage media that is no longer supported or available
-File Formats that are no longer used
-Rechargeable batteries that lose their charge and can't be purchased anymore
-The newer cameras on the market will have features that yours doesn't and will perform better at higher ISO's

Lenses tend to last longer. Industry keeps making improvements, but old glass is still very relevant. Check out ebay and see what people sell 20 year old lenses for. Its amazing.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Chilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I bought a D90 recently and am pretty happy with it. Like the other comment, I am a little disapointed in the video. Although I am a complete noob and don't have much other experience. I have found it funny that a couple of pros have mentioned to me how much they like the camera or wish they had one. I think the comment on the rate of technological change is spot on, it should last as long as the technology lasts.

Lots of pros are using somewhat obsolete bodies because they have so much money invested in them. Bottom line for me is that it will let me just point and shoot some pretty good pics. I really should take the time to learn more of the functions.

Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Danamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox
+1 on good glass! Camera technology changes every few years. Optics are forever.

Of course once you have a killer collection of lenses you are forever locked into that brand.
I would disagree here. Glass is a tool, and you have to know what you are doing to buy the right glass. Starting with a camera with a kit lens allows you to cheaply learn and develop your own style. In the case of the Canon the 18-55 in the kit only costs you about $100, what do you have to lose. The Nikon is a step up in body and kit lens.
I would also note both of those cameras are lower priced anyway. Below those you are really looking at crap.
Camera bodies do get old, but that really does not matter that much for most people. I still have my D70s, and in many pictures you cannot tell if if a image I shot was that or my D700 without looking at the metadata. The new Adobe Camera Raw processing in CS5 and Lightroom 3 goes a long way in equalizing the difference between those two cameras in images below 16x20.
If you want video look seriously at the Canon. The D90 is not HD, and in that respect is really a step or two behind. For stills though they are both great, and I do think the D90 is the better deal.
Danamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
3power
Cafe'er

Oddometer: 1,141
Not sure what your experience is, but if you don't have a need for 2 control dials, then you might consider the D5000. I picked one up not too long ago and have been very pleased with it. It has the same sensor as the D90, and can shoot 720p video as well. Here's a great review from Ken Rockwell: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

He also recommends it as the best serious camera here ---> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reco...as.htm#serious
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
PhilLynot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Most of the online reviews I've seen have favored the D90 overall, while noting that the Rebel t2i has substantially better video quality (here's a good comparison - http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...kon-D90.shtml).

I'm biased as I recently bought a D90. I researched it to death and I'm very happy with my purchase. Yes, the videos is not as good as the t2i but the D90 is a couple of years old and has gotten nothing but stellar reviews for its camera functions.

I'd try to find a place where you can get your hands on both. Not sure if Best Buy would have cameras in this range, but they might.
PhilLynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Some people love or hate this guy. He puts things into layman's terms.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/t2i.htm

Don't get too hung up on the MP's.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-01-2010 at 02:23 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
thomasona
older than he looks

Oddometer: 198
I shoot Canon at work and Nikon for my personal stuff. I prefer Nikon equipment, usually. The cameras fit better in my hands, the controls are laid out nicer, the menu system is more intuitive, and the Nikon wireless flash system is worlds ahead of Canon's.

Somebody mentioned how fragile the prosumer bodies are. I disagree. My first dSLR, a D70, has over 60k clicks and works great. I took it camping in the desert, wading through streams, set it in sand on the beach, etc. It's been with me on four continents and it keeps on going. My D90 hasn't seen as much traveling, but it spends a lot of time slung over my shoulder. It gets dropped, scraped, run into doorways and walls, thrown around the floor of my car, soaked by rain, covered in snow, handled by 2 year olds ( ), and it just won't quit.

Search my Flickr photostream for D90 and you'll see a variety of photos taken with this camera. Mostly snaps of family and friends, but it gives you an idea.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d90&w=9456210%40N05

That being said, you really can't go wrong with either camera. Nikon and Canon are both at the top of their game. Good luck, and be sure to upload some pics when you've got them!
thomasona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
blown7.3lps OP
Brian

well i went canon, costco sold me there display model for $100 off the regular price :) . still comes with 90 day money back, and 2 year warrenty.

so im chargin it up right now, i have one of those 8 gig micro cards in a micro to SD adapter, so its not the extreme fast memory i guess, i use it to expand the memory on my HTC phone, can i use this in the camera untill i get a 4 or 8 gig SDHC card?

i agree the D90 deff feels and looks better quality though, and costco had it for 1400 with two lenses and bag and what ever els was in the kit with it.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
HansGruber
Custom User Title

Quote:
well i went canon, costco sold me there display model for $100 off the regular price :) . still comes with 90 day money back, and 2 year warrenty.

so im chargin it up right now, i have one of those 8 gig micro cards in a micro to SD adapter, so its not the extreme fast memory i guess, i use it to expand the memory on my HTC phone, can i use this in the camera untill i get a 4 or 8 gig SDHC card?

i agree the D90 deff feels and looks better quality though, and costco had it for 1400 with two lenses and bag and what ever els was in the kit with it.

Although Ford is better, Chevrolet makes a good truck too. I'm sure you'll be happy. At least you didn't get a Dodge. Happy Shooting.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
blown7.3lps OP
Brian

well if i could have a truck, it be a ford body with a dodge engine ;) but thats another discussion. lol .

im Happy with the canon so far.

on a side note, my sister has a canon, and has the 75-300 lens, so now i have two lenses ;) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansGruber
Although Ford is better, Chevrolet makes a good truck too. I'm sure you'll be happy. At least you didn't get a Dodge. Happy Shooting.